Best upgrade for £100?

MTB noob
MTB noob Posts: 272
edited March 2013 in MTB buying advice
I have recently saved an extra £100 for my bike to be specced-up a bit.

What would you recommend to upgrade my Voodoo to make it more trail / AM style because it does weight in at a hefty 14.8kg (32.6lbs)

I currently have a Shimano Alivio chainset with a XT rear mech
Suntour Raidon 120mm LO forks
FSA XC300 handlebars with stock 90mm stem
Conti MTB King basic 2.4" tyres (tubed) on standard Voodoo wheelset.
Shimano M445 brakes with stock rotors
Normal Wellgo XC pedals
Standard Voodoo saddle and cut to 350mm post

Its just frustrating that my friends full sus trail bike is lighter than mine.

My god road cycling is scary! I'm going to keep my relaxing rides to the trails where everything is green, fast and less crazy.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    For me, decent tyres and (not sure what normal Wellgo pedals are, but if caged) some decent flat pedals like Wellgo MG1's.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Lighter tubes, lighter tyres, maybe lighter pedals and spend what's left on lighter bars/stem/seatpost.

You could even take off the outer chainring depending on whether you use it much.
  • MTB noob
    Its the inner chain ring I only use once or twice every ride as the gradients are no more than 25%.

I was thinking of trying to get a 28-40 crankset but i can't find anything suitable.

Is it a worthwhile idea to buy a new saddle and seatpost to save weight for the cost of them?

and the Wellgo pedals are aluminium the ones that are usually stock with most cheap Halfords bikes. Sorry i don't know the spec i cant find it anywhere
    My god road cycling is scary! I'm going to keep my relaxing rides to the trails where everything is green, fast and less crazy.
  • anj132
    anj132 Posts: 299
    MTB noob wrote:
    What would you recommend to upgrade my Voodoo to make it more trail / AM style because it does weight in at a hefty 14.8kg (32.6lbs)

Are you trying to make it more "AM" or lighter?

If you want to make it more of a trail bike, grippier pedals (MG1s, CC nano style), shorter stem and longer bars combo would be a start. Bash ring if perhaps if you are not using your outter ring and QR post clamp if you haven't got one. All do doable under £100. Go second hand and you could make your money go further. Tyres when they wear out.
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Lots of options but would recommend as others - tyres, tubes, brake pads, poss pedals too
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • anj132
    anj132 Posts: 299
    MTB noob wrote:
    I was thinking of trying to get a 28-40 crankset but i can't find anything suitable.

I wouldn't bother personally. Not a lot to gain, I would spend it else where.
    MTB noob wrote:
    Is it a worthwhile idea to buy a new saddle and seatpost to save weight for the cost of them?

and the Wellgo pedals are aluminium the ones that are usually stock with most cheap Halfords bikes. Sorry i don't know the spec i cant find it anywhere

I would start with the pedals first as those stock Wellgos aren't great. Get something with through pins.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Tyres and tubes to start.
  • MTB noob
    So aim for the brake pads, tyres and pedals and the cockpit if I have any money left over?
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    MTB noob wrote:
    So aim for the brake pads, tyres and pedals and the cockpit if I have any money left over?

Sounds about right to me
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Stock Voodoo stem is fairly light, wheels are formula and only about a 2.1Kg wheelset so you'd have to spend a lot to upgrade, stock grips are OK.

Tubes and tyres, pedals with proper pins (stock pedals use moulded pins).

Crankset is pretty heavy and I'd look at something like swapping to a Deore HT2 which will save you about 300g.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    If you don't like the grips or saddle, then change those obviously. Apart from that - tyres, something lighter.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    Personally not a huge believer in really light tubes if your ride even remotely hard as they tend to puncture,

And tyre chioce is really personal, i like a firmer sidewall for pinch protection. otherwise what are you trying to acheive Am or lighter?