A quick hello from Dartmoor

Cutty Dyer
Cutty Dyer Posts: 78
edited March 2013 in MTB beginners
Evening folks.

I am new to this cycling thing at the grand old age of 45. I am looking forward to seeing what banter the various fora can offer - so please don't be gentle with me :-)

My first outing was today down something called the widow maker and it has left me with more questions than answers??? Thoroughly enjoyable though even if my bike is rough as old boots.

Comments

• camerauk
    camerauk Posts: 1,000
    Evening
    ah the old widow maker that is a great decent :) hope you enjoyed it
    If you are looking for people to ride with a group of us ride out around Dartmoor most Sundays
    drop me a PM if you want any details
    Specialized Camber Expert
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • cj11
    cj11 Posts: 72
    Hi and welcome aboard. I remember my first ride when i discovered mountain biking i felt much the same and the following day i could barely walk or grip anything but as time passed my skill level and bikes improved it all came together. Dont get me wrong im average on good day but dartmoor has been a great place to improve.
  • Thanks for the welcomes... camerauk, I shall certainly drop you pm to find out who is riding where.

Living in Princetown I thought it would be a good idea to have a go at 'the cycling thing' as we seem to have quite a few cyclists passing through... Some bloke called Mark Cavendish came whistling past my door back in the summer - nothing but a blur :shock:

Meanwhile, my forks have blown a leak of hydrolic fluid :? since yesterday.... Time for an upgrade methinks.
  • Stu Coops
    Stu Coops Posts: 426
    Awesome place Dartmoor, I spend lots of time there can't help it just keeps drawing me back year on year for the last ten years
    Zesty 514 Scott Scale 20 GT Expert HalfwayupMTB
  • Stu Coops wrote:
    Awesome place Dartmoor, I spend lots of time there can't help it just keeps drawing me back year on year for the last ten years

Odd that... I usually go to South Wales for my holidays :D:D:D

Forks sorted - it was out back down the widow maker tonight and around Sheepstor and over Eyelsbarrow to home via Nun's Cross Farm. The weather was cool and bright until the hail started :shock: :oops: :cry:
  • camerauk
    camerauk Posts: 1,000
    Sounds great awesome when you have riding like that on your doorstep
    Specialized Camber Expert
    Specialized Allez Sport
  • It was just a quickie to get the dogs out after work really :oops: :wink:

I'm not sure how fast you are supposed to do that steepish rocky bit, but I take it fairly slowly; I figure that if I am going to have an accident then it is better to have it at a slow speed. I found that lowering my tyre pressures really helped quite a bit and I have gone from a pair of leaky 'Spinner Grind' Forks to some Rockshox - WOW!!! What a difference a fork makes - I wouldn't have believed it.

I have no idea about picking a route / line or how to adjust riding position, it would be good to 'hook up' with some locals to find out how it should be done.

The dogs liked it too :lol:
  • I cant seem to 'pm' BTW - do you have to have made so many posts or been a forum member for a period of time???