MTB Beginner

2»

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Not sure what you read but
    " Wikipedia is written collaboratively by largely anonymous Internet volunteers who write without pay. Anyone with Internet access can write and make changes to Wikipedia articles, except in limited cases where editing is restricted to prevent disruption or vandalism. Users can contribute anonymously, under a pseudonym, or, if they choose to, with their real identity."
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    So even you can write garbage if you want.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The Merida page on Wiki was copied from this:

http://www.business.nfo.tw/merida/

Then edited much of it.

I have now edited out a part myself ie " all of which are in the top few in the world for performance." As was no evidence and no reference. Just shows anyone can edit it.
  • cooldad
    They don't check the facts, just make sure that it's not neonazi propaganda and suchlike.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    cyd190468 wrote:
    Edit; The fact that I'm high school teacher and that wiki has locked out our entire network from editing due to too many edits that were later removed due to innaccuracies "from students" tells me that wiki is probably doing a pretty good job.
    LMAO, is that supposed to make you right, with the general state of the kids today, you would be better keeping that quiet :lol:
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    These are Ozzie kids so who cares. His 'other' occupation is a wedding singer.
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    These are Ozzie kids so who cares. His 'other' occupation is a wedding singer.
    i have a sister who lives there, still applies :wink:
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • supersonic
    There is a slight flaw in the IP ban though ie generic addresses: I am on AOL, so several million will register that address!
  • supersonic
    As an admin on this site I can see everyone's ISP who posts - but not further than that, and I am sure it will be the same for wiki admin. I can ban ISPs, but have to be very careful as could ban several people at once!

AOL ISPs float, so I have dozens of addresses for my account.
  • Sinny
    Sinny Posts: 9
    Just a quick bump as well, are their any guides on maintaining my bike? or anything I should read in particular?

Cheers
  • cooldad
    Back on track. Parktools is very useful - see 'Read this first' link below.
    And Sheldon Brown website. Bit dated in places but the basics are good.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    It's a tough job but someone has to do it.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    cyd190468 wrote:
    Cooldad, the voice of reason :wink:

:shock:
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • Sinny
    Little bit of a Dilemma, The nearest Decathlon which is 40 miles away wont have any stock of the 8.1 for a few weeks, and as my car is a 3 door I'd have to order it up from the website.

my problem is, I'm around 5'10, with a 32" Inseam so I'm caught between the Medium and the large model. would testing bikes of a similar frame size (18-20") be worth it? I don't really want to buy a bike from France to find out it's too small/large.
  • supersonic
    Medium should be fine, unless you have very long arms.
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Take the wheels off and a bike will fit in most cars.
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • Sinny
    Bought myself a Cube LTD, it was £50 more than the Rockrider but It felt a bit nicer to ride.

WP_000049_zpsef9ad094.jpg

Though I have a few problems, the Front disc isn rubbing against the pads at points allowing it to make an intermittent noise, I found out I have to true the disc, which was fine until I started to ride it, hoping this goes away as it's fine when no pressure is applied to the fork.

Also, the bike has RS Recon Silver TK fork, which I assume, when I press the lockout switch, should render the fork to a rigid state, however it acts exactly the same as when it's not on lockout.

Any help would be appreciated, cheers.
  • supersonic
    Brakes take a while to bed in - ride for a bit. Same with the fork, the oil has to displace from noew.