What chain tool/magic link to get?

chrisaonabike
chrisaonabike Posts: 1,914
edited March 2013 in Road beginners
As my rides get longer, I'm thinking I really ought to be able to fix a busted chain as well as a puncture.

I've done a bit of reading but struggling to see the wood for the trees... I have a Shimano HG CN-4601 chain with a Tiagra 10 speed 12-28 cassette, and a Tiagra compact 50/34 on the front.

So, what should I be looking for in the way of roadside bits?
Is the gorilla tired yet?

Comments

• Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    Lezyne Multi-tool with chain breaker
    A quick-link
    2 tubes, 2 CO2
    Identification
    Emergency £10 not (or suitable currency)
    lezyne-v10-zoom.jpg
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    A decent chain tool will fix a broken chain but, in many cases, a quicklink is faster (assuming you don't need to remove a broken link). Parktool's "Mini-brute" works well for me (I also take a multi-tool but prefer to have the chain tool separate). The best links are the KMC ones and called "Missing Link" and are multi-use, the Sram "Powerlink" are single use only for 10 speed (not single ride, single on/off). The Missing Links also make chain cleaning a doddle, especially if you also buy some link pliers (which are really good and only cost a tenner), but you don't need to carry these so leave them in the workshop.

I recommend practising breaking/repairing a chain at home so that you are comfortable with the chain tool (some are really hard work at home in the bright and warm, let alone freezing your nads off at the side of the road). However, bear in mind most chains have mushroom pins which don't like being repeatedly pushed out/replaced so either pick an old chain or some cut-off.

Most chain tools will have two slots, the one at the end of the unit (furthest from your thumb) is used for pushing out/replacing pins, the other slot is used for freeing off links that are frozen (and jump when going around the jockey wheels).

If you want to fix a chain without a quicklink, another tip is not to push out fully a pin that is being reused but just push it enough so that you can get the broken plate out. That will save you loads of time trying to find/line up the pin when you want to push it back in (hope you see what I mean with this, as said though it is not good practice to reuse pins unless you have to).

I always have a pair of workshop latex gloves stuffed in my saddlebag, amazing how crappy your hands can get when fixing a chain and the bloody mess just does not want to come off (not much fun if you have another 100 miles to ride, makes food taste interesting too).
  • Htron
    Htron Posts: 47
    I ditched my shimano chain for a quality, all silver KMC one. These come supplied with a missing-link that I can operate with just my fingers with ease (no pliers, no struggling). I tried fitting a missing-link to the shimano chain, but it was too tight to operate by hand. I have a spare missing-link in my saddle bag in case of a chain brake and I am very happy with this setup. Also, no stiff links on the KMC chain after 500 miles, where as the shimano chain was forever skipping with stiff links.