Taking a bike on a plane or hire?

mudsucker
mudsucker Posts: 730
edited April 2013 in MTB general
Hi forum folk!

I have some friends that live in Colorado and i'm very much thinking of visiting them for some biking. I have looked into bike rental and it's around $65 (£43) a day to hire a Stumpjuper FSR\Trek Fuel and such like. The other option is to take my stumpy FSR on the plane. I'm planning to spend about 10 days there.

The best price and flight times with a stop over is with Iceland Air with a stop in Reykjavik airport.

Just wondering if anyone has taken their bike on a plane before and if so how much does it generally cost and do? Any tips for me or maybe suggest a good bike bag to put it in? Does about £43 a day to hire a bike sound about right? Just if it doesn't cost too much to plane mine over it might be worth taking mine instead.

Hope that all makes sence and any help would be much appreciated!

Ben :D
Bikes are OK, I guess... :-)

2008 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp.
2013 Trek 1.2
1982 Holdsworth Elan.

Comments

• tarbot18
    tarbot18 Posts: 531
    I dont know about international costs but a bunch of us are taking our bike to the alps in spetember and it was £55 for a week to take the bike and £60 for a bike bag off chain reaction which seems pretty tough .

Id look at costs with the airline to take your own bike it'll be cheaper and you'll be riding your own bike your used to etc.
    The family that rides together stays together !

Boardman Comp 29er 2013

Whyte T129s 2014 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12965414&p=18823801&hilit=whyte+t129s#p18823801

Road Scott speedster s50 2011
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    IIRC both United and AA charge US$200 per flight when flying in/out of the USA.

Best to check the airlines websie for accuracy.

For referenece getting a bike into a carton that measures less than 65inches l+w+d is virtually impossible.
  • Woody80
    Woody80 Posts: 324
    I'd say take your own rather than hire, you don't need to adapt to a new bike/setup that way. The coat will depend on the airlines.
    Loads of bag options from cheap to expensive ones like an Evoc. I used the box that my Canyon came it as it was free!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Airlines differ vastly, the cheapest flight with bikes may well be different to the cheapest ones without.

Get a bike box from halfords or an LBS (they are happy to give them away), use some foam to protect it inside.

A rider form California rides with my group once a month as his company send him to the UK for a week a month, he brings his bike every time!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Butterd2
    Butterd2 Posts: 937
    I fly bikes to Europe regularly, BA are free and Easyjet £20 each way, so check with different airlines. I've always used soft bags and had no problems with my carbon road bike. Personally I'd always want to be riding my own bike.
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • I want to take a bike to California, just a cheapy to leave there, and Uniteds limits are:
    If the bicycle(s) are packed in a container that is less than 50 pounds (23kg) and 62 (158 cm) total linear inches (L + W + H), there is no bicycle service charge, but, if applicable, the first or second checked baggage service charge applies.

I get 3 bags free and am going to dismantle it and see if I can stay within their limits. Oddly the courtesy box that United will supply for $25 measures: Bicycle box L 69 in. W 8.5 in. H 33.5 in. which exceeds their linear inches allowed.
  • timpop
    timpop Posts: 394
    Here's an option to look at perhaps:

http://www.pinkbike.com/video/149355/
    Many happy trails!
  • lbalony
    lbalony Posts: 301
    I was once told of someone in the business to book it as exercise equipmemt as it is rather than a cycle abd its then peanuts. Never had the chance to try out that advice though. When I visted Moab & Utah I chose to hire and was best thing I did as rode a hardtail up untill rented a Yeti! I
  • covelove
    covelove Posts: 209
    I flew to Arizona last year via Iceland with Iceland air. Me and my wife both took our bikes and it was every penny worth it. It cost us £50 per bike each way but the airport did not charge when we left glasgow so only half price. If you buy a bike bag it does add to your cost but you can either sell it on or use it again. Also a benefit is that a bike bag will have wheels and is easier to manoeuvre, it is also easier for u.s customs to check as they will just unzip it. If it is in a box they will almost certainly open thing whole thing up.
    Other bonus is that you get to ride your own bike out there and if you break parts on a hire bike bike you still have to pay extra for them. I.e replacing part for new that will go on the hire bike at your cost!
    However....
    If you only plan to ride for one or maybe two days then hiring would be more convienient.
    does my tail look hard in this?

cove stiffee

orange 222
  • Ok, this is what I did on United and no fees:

Removed the wheels and quick release catches
    Removed the saddle and seat post
    Removed the handlebars and twisted sideways
    Removed front suspension fork (hardtail)
    Removed rear Deraillieur
    Removed pedals

Packed the frame in the box but was not happy with the dimensions as they were well over. I think I would have been OK but it just looked too oversize to me and when measured was about 12" over. I had an old golf bag softsided cover and the 18" alu frame fitted in it. Handlebars were wrapped in bubble wrap, as were forks, pedals (off bike) and the chain-ring. The good news is that it looked like golf clubs when I had packed it a bit more and put my helmet in it.

The wheels just went in a box on their own.

That was all. Checked in, had to sign for the golf bag as it was soft sided (ie. not a hard sided golf bag), off to oversize baggage, no problems at all.

The only thing I would have done different was to protect the chain-ring more than I did as they came through the side of the bag and were grinning at me! They weren't damaged though but if I ever did it again I would take more care on protecting them. Bike was re-assembled in about 30 minutes solid work and so far so good.