Best breakfast in London?

graeme_s-2
graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
edited March 2013 in Commuting chat
The wife and I are heading down to that London tomorrow (Saturday morning). We're getting into Euston first thing, checking into a hotel in Holborn and want to get some breakfast. I like a good hearty full English, patisserie and decent coffee. My wife likes fruity stuff, porridge, granola and other girly crap. Anywhere that provides some combination of those things as long as it's really good. Don't mind shelling out if it's worth it. Any suggestions gratefully received.

Comments

• sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    I don't think it matches your requirements but I was delighted to stumble across (a) Le Pain Quotidien last time I was in London - took me right back to Brussels (Overijse) in 1995 when I used to live there. I adore their praline spread.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    If you're in Holborn then this place is just at the bottom of Kingsway/junction of Aldwych. I'm not sure but I think it's owned by the Wosleley, and the breakfasts are wonderful. It's at the Covent Garden end of Holborn, 7 mins away from Holborn Tube (I used to work at Bush House across the road).

http://thedelaunay.assets.d3r.com/pdfs/ ... st-web.pdf
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    msmancunia wrote:
    If you're in Holborn then this place is just at the bottom of Kingsway/junction of Aldwych. I'm not sure but I think it's owned by the Wosleley, and the breakfasts are wonderful. It's at the Covent Garden end of Holborn, 7 mins away from Holborn Tube (I used to work at Bush House across the road).

Just looked it up, yes owned by same people....
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Not sure if this place is owned by Wolseley but they do a great English in a bun and also serve porridge and other crap as well...

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ55Zy9JSLSith4dZVql774ICpgvtqCc0hhQDcQDGJ_QH17J2dF
  • graeme_s-2
    msmancunia wrote:

Thanks for this. Website looks great, menu looks great, resturaunt looks great from the outside... sadly, despite the website clearly saying they open for breakfast at 8 on Saturdays, they don't actually open till 11 :(. Coffee and croissant in pret it is then. Ah well.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    Fwiw I didn't like the breakfast I had there. Massively overrated compared to what I had at Hawksmoor
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    Graeme_S wrote:
    msmancunia wrote:

Thanks for this. Website looks great, menu looks great, resturaunt looks great from the outside... sadly, despite the website clearly saying they open for breakfast at 8 on Saturdays, they don't actually open till 11 :(. Coffee and croissant in pret it is then. Ah well.

Oh no! So sorry! :(
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • graeme_s-2
    Not even slightly your fault MsM. No apology needed. As I said, even their website said they opened from 8!
  • Applespider
    Applespider Posts: 506
    I don't think it matches your requirements but I was delighted to stumble across (a) Le Pain Quotidien last time I was in London - took me right back to Brussels (Overijse) in 1995 when I used to live there. I adore their praline spread.

I like Le Pain Quotidien for breakfast. Not sure if they do the full English but they'd have met the patisserie and granola/porridge options. I always for a soft boiled egg with soldiers and then a chocolate croissant served with a large cappuccino that they serve in a big bowl. Mmmmmm......

Their scones with cream and jam are lovely afternoon treats too although so large that I've occasionally had one for lunch.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494

I like Le Pain Quotidien for breakfast. Not sure if they do the full English but they'd have met the patisserie and granola/porridge options. I always for a soft boiled egg with soldiers and then a chocolate croissant served with a large cappuccino that they serve in a big bowl. Mmmmmm......

Their scones with cream and jam are lovely afternoon treats too although so large that I've occasionally had one for lunch.
    I always thought le pain quotidien was just another one of those chain places in stations etc.... Is it really that good?
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    You could've strolled over to Soho and gone to The Breakfast Club. Sorry I didn't see the thread in time.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Ben6899 wrote:
    You could've strolled over to Soho and gone to The Breakfast Club. Sorry I didn't see the thread in time.
    Always a queue to get in there if you aren't early though. The one in Angel is the same. Seems kinda silly to queue that long for brekkie, kinda defeats the point of it, and the food isn't *that* good there...
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    For future reference, some friends and I went here last weekend: http://www.ridinghousecafe.co.uk/

So. Good.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • Applespider
    Applespider Posts: 506
    I always thought le pain quotidien was just another one of those chain places in stations etc.... Is it really that good?

Well, it is a chain... but it's one of the better ones. They all have a bakery section where they sell good sourdough loaves and some deli products - both are relatively pricey. It's definitely a step up from Pret and Pauls... and on a different planet from Upper Crust and the Delice place.
  • graeme_s-2
    Thanks for all the further suggestions. I'm making notes for future reference!
  • wandsworth
    wandsworth Posts: 354
    Too late for the OP but for future reference, Hawksmoor supposedly do a stonking breakfast. I'm just working up the courage to try it. Hesitating because I know from experience that I can't go into Hawksmoor without drinking a couple of bottles of Kernel IPA.
    Shut up, knees!

Various Boardmans, a Focus, a Cannondale and an ancient Trek.
  • corriebee1
    corriebee1 Posts: 390
    For what it's worth, and on the subject of chain restaurant breakfasts, Pattiserie Valerie do AMAZING breakfasts!

The eggs benedict royale (with smoked salmon) is bangin'! Coffee's generally good, and the smoothies are great too.
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    Dean Street Townhouse.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,738
    Dean Street Townhouse.

Rubbish.
  • ZoomZoom
    ZoomZoom Posts: 53
    You have to try Regency Cafe one of the best greasy spoons in London.

Z
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    ZoomZoom wrote:

Z
    I like how the top review says that the food was mediocre...
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    notsoblue wrote:
    ZoomZoom wrote:

Z
    I like how the top review says that the food was mediocre...

Then it really does sound like one of the best greasy spoons in London.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    morty enough, hes had enough!!!

Need to go, just for the layer cake factor.
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    Roast in borough market - decent
    Automat in Mayfair (american style) - decent
    Riding House - Decent
    Dean Street - Decent
    Nopi - Decent
    Hix - Decent
    Bills - Decent
    Hawksmoor do a great breakfast too actually

Bit of a mixture there, but something to suit everyone! I try to do as many breakfasts as possible, its my favorite meal I think.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com