visiting the peak district - training ride

gymwear
gymwear Posts: 27
Hi all - about to go to a friends wedding in Mansfield Nottinghamshire - after a route that is pretty, hilly and about 3 hours long on the eastern side of the peak district. ideas please.

Thanks Jim

Comments

• Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    edited March 2013
    So starting from Mansfield or just an easy car journey from Mansfield ?

edit - if you are using a car then here's 48 miles from Rowsley - you can park you car at Rowsley shopping village - think they allow it at least they used to have a parking bit for people who are going walking rather than shopping.
    http://www.bikeroutetoaster.com/Course. ... rse=513516

Others may be able to improve on it - didn't spend ages but that'd be a pretty good hilly route with a few good climbs and the descent of Froggat is great - several miles, sweeping, steep enough to be fun not so steep you'd be on the brakes and a descent sized road.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Mike67
    Mike67 Posts: 585
    If you're riding out there then you'd have to head pretty much due east for the first part in order to get to the hills.

I'd go out through Tibshelf, head towards Tansley past Ogston reservoir but turn north before you get to Tansley towards Darley Moor (some good views from the tops). If you've got time come down through Beeley then Rowsley and head up past Winster to Grangemill and down to Cromford (alternative is flat route along A6 to Cromford). Another climb then up to Crich (great views again).
    Then come back down through South Wingfield and Shirland and follow your tracks back through Tibshelf (or just skirt around north side of Sutton in Ashfield) to Mansfield.
    I think that's about 50 miles or so (less if you take A6) so depends what speed you ride at :D

Enjoy
    Mike B

Cannondale CAAD9
    Kinesis Pro 5 cross bike
    Lots of bits

• edit - if you are using a car then here's 48 miles from Rowsley - you can park you car at Rowsley shopping village - think they allow it at least they used to have a parking bit for people who are going walking rather than shopping.
    http://www.bikeroutetoaster.com/Course. ... rse=513516

Looks good except for the pave section at the top of Beeley :shock:

Longstone Edge is a fave of mine however the descent through Thunderpit perhaps a bit technical
    Id personally cross the A623 to Foolow then head through to Eyam and rejoin for a 'spirited' climb up Sir William Hill !
  • Tom Butcher
    Haha - I've stuck him up that path that goes off to the left haven't I! Not intentional I promise - I meant straight on and up the next left.

I'll bow to your knowledge of Longstone Edge too - the Thunderpit bit was unknown to me I admit but it looked direct on the map - I do know the rest of it... honest...

• gymwear
    gymwear Posts: 27
    Thanks guys this is great - really appreciate your local knowledge ! Will look at maps cheers jim
  • Tom Butcher
    If you do do a version of that route the Beeley bit is straight on (looks like a right on the map) and you then go left and end up on Top Lane for a bit - it's the same road you come back on for a section.