Legal routes for cycling - OS maps

Paulf1566
Paulf1566 Posts: 48
edited March 2013 in Routes
I know it is legal to cycle on bridleways and of course illegal on footpaths. So far, so good, nice and simple.

What I am not sure about are white roads on OS maps, the edges may be solid or dashed and can be with or without green "footpath" dashes.

Does any know the position please? Thanks
Ride to live.......live to Ride!

Comments

• compo
    compo Posts: 1,370
    Yeah its fine, as it is a road.
  • naffa
    naffa Posts: 126
    Some of what you've described may be tracks without public access across private land.
    The only sure way to know is not looking at OS maps (although they can point you in the right direction), but by emailing the councils rights of way officer with the coordintes or visiting the offices ad viewing the list of streets and the definitive map
    Cheers Nathan.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    unless the road, has a right of way, such as being a bridleway, then all the map is doing is showing is that there is a road there, if a right of way isn't shown then you'll have to assume there isn't one.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    It's simple - you can ride pretty much anywhere you like: footpaths, bridleways, beaches, open fields...

as long as you're in Scotland :twisted:
  • compo
    compo Posts: 1,370
    Or soon to be Wales. And plans for the Isle of Man
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,154
    If you're talking green dashes I guess you're looking at a 1:25000 map. You can also ride tracks with + + + + + on them and ---┌---┘--- (Byways open to all traffic and restricted byways). Usually the big fat green blobs • • • • • mean you can ride somewhere, but not always.
    The big fat orange blobs are usually used to indicate cycle paths, and the long orange dashes are permissive bridleways (like a public bridleway but not a 'right' of way and can be closed off from time to time)

Hopefully all those symbols have come out right :roll: