shropshills sportive,clee hill..29.9% ?

elderone
elderone Posts: 1,410
edited March 2013 in Road beginners
Ive booked this as my first sportive and just looked at the route and the clee hill is first major climb.Looked on stava and its gives a section averaging 29.9%.Is this for real.Has any one ridden this hill or have local knowledge to confirm this.
http://app.strava.com/segments/3440832
Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori

Comments

• Its not that bad, if your coming from Ludlow then Angel bank is far worse!
  • i dont think the mapping is working correctly, never ridden this on a push bike but been over the road on a motorbike many a times, its a good pull up from Cleobury mortimer but it is no way 30% gradient.
  • elderone
    Think its coming from brignorth side.The route itself just says over clee hill,its the strava that says its that steep,but if it is it,s only a short bit.More hill practice required me thinks.
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    That section is pretty flat. As dangerousdave has said, Angel Bank is the steepest bit (it hits about 15%), but that's on the Ludlow side, and I think the SHS goes in the opposite direction. It's quite a rollercoaster from Bridgnorth towards Cleobury Mortimer before that as well.

If you want do a local event beforehand then the Oswestry Paragon CC reliability trial is at 10am on 12th May starting from Llanyblodwel VH. Route - http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/5246981
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • elderone
    Simon E wrote:
    That section is pretty flat. As dangerousdave has said, Angel Bank is the steepest bit (it hits about 15%), but that's on the Ludlow side, and I think the SHS goes in the opposite direction. It's quite a rollercoaster from Bridgnorth towards Cleobury Mortimer before that as well.

If you want do a local event beforehand then the Oswestry Paragon CC reliability trial is at 10am on 12th May starting from Llanyblodwel VH. Route - http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/5246981
    thanks Simon,do I have to be a member as they said they were mainly a tt club and im not into that.
  • canny_lad
    canny_lad Posts: 329
    I'm not doing that ride but have signed up for the highlands challenge in Ludlow in June, which is 65 miles. Good luck, be sure to let us know how you get on.
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    elderone wrote:
    do I have to be a member as they said they were mainly a tt club and im not into that.
    No, you don't have to be a member of any club to join a reliability trial - just turn up, sign on (usually £3 or so) and pedal :)

Mid-Shropshire Wheelers run training on the 1km floodlit circuit at Sundorne, Shrewsbury, on Tuesday and Thursday evenings. Cost is £2, sign on at trackside. DIY on Tuesdays, group riding on Thursdays, newcomers are always welcome. Membership not required here either, more info on club website.

@Canny lad, the Highlands is supposed to be a lovely event, I keep thinking about it. Perhaps this year I'll take the plunge...
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • elderone
    Thanks simon,ill look into that.
    Canny lad have you got a link for that one.
    cheers
  • Slacey
    Slacey Posts: 78
    Both the Shropshire Hills and Highlands Challenge are great events, can't go wrong with either. Done both for the past two years and can't make either this year :(
    Freelance Journalist
    ex-Team Cycling Plus 2011
    Three Boardmans and a Spesh,
    numerous test rigs
  • iplod
    iplod Posts: 83
    I remember Clee hill being the main climb of the sportive, but dont remember it being anything like 29.9%. More of a long steady climb. Very similar to Blodwel bank in gradient.
    SOLITUDE. It's not for everyone.

Trek 5.2 madone 2007
    Ribble audax/winter 2010
    Bianchi infinto 2012
  • southdownswolf
    southdownswolf Posts: 1,525
    looking at the strava segment, there is a part that is 1,117.8%. Forgive me if I am wrong, but I'm not sure that is possible :shock: