Tao Geoghegan Hart

cornerblock
cornerblock Posts: 3,228
edited April 2015 in Pro race
The young east Londoner sounds like a great prospect and a top lad, certainly not lacking in confidence. Like taking the Belgian squad out for a ride during the Olympics last year.

Tell us how riding with those guys came about?

I was on the way back from a race in Belgium. Jon Cannings [amateur racer and renowned Belgophile] knows Boonen a little bit and put out on Twitter that the Belgian national squad wanted to go for a ride from the Olympic Village. There were loads of people on Twitter up and down the country saying, “Yeah I'll take ‘em out”. I was like, “That's mine, I'm having that, they’re my local roads.”

So I got this text from Boonen saying: “We’re by the station.” I was riding round looking for them and suddenly there’s these six Belgian lads in full Olympic kit; bright orange bikes, deep section tubs, just stood outside Stratford station.

Just so we're clear: the Belgian national team?

Yes, and they loved it. In Belgium they can hardly walk down the street without getting mobbed – Boonen's like David Beckham over there. We did a little chilled loop, no team car, no cameras and then we went for coffee. It was a beautiful sunny day and there no one was hassling them. They didn't have any money and I had to buy the coffees. It was hard explaining it to some of my mates afterwards. Like, when have you ever had a kickabout with Robin Van Persie in your local park?

Comments

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,791
    Toks
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    Tiks
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    Eh? You sound like a couple of c*ck......I mean clocks.
  • shazzz
    shazzz Posts: 1,077
    Thread resurrection .....

3rd today in the Liège - Bastogne - Liège espoirs race. Hopefully a good sign for the year ahead. Anyone know if he's riding Tour of California again?
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Wow, good result.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,449
    He was third last year too.

A big win is just around the corner, I think.
  • I saw that today -it said u 27's - cant be right..
    French guy who won is 21 and Tao is 20 ?
  • The_Boy
    The_Boy Posts: 3,099
    I saw that today -it said u 27's - cant be right..
    French guy who won is 21 and Tao is 20 ?

Exactly what I was thinking.

Edit: just double checked on cqranking and they've listed it as u23 which sounds a bit more like it.
    Team My Man 2018: David gaudu, Pierre Latour, Romain Bardet, Thibaut pinot, Alexandre Geniez, Florian Senechal, Warren Barguil, Benoit Cosnefroy
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 14,535
    My Man!

Hackney represent!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Big fan of this kid. Can't wait to see what comes of him. He looked good in that TOB stage last year until he completely effed up the last corner.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,791
    fellow Hackney CCH rider Alex Peters of seg racing came second in the tour of normandy,
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • keydon
    keydon Posts: 144
    sjmclean wrote:
    Big fan of this kid. Can't wait to see what comes of him. He looked good in that TOB stage last year until he completely effed up the last corner.

I believe the patch on the road didn't help. I was horrified when that happened.

It looked bad.

I met him as we came home from Crystal Palace when he was 15. He was dead sound, but

we never got beyond cycling, who ever does?
  • EnnBee
    EnnBee Posts: 20
    shazzz wrote:
    Anyone know if he's riding Tour of California again?

Yes, he is scheduled to.
  • shazzz
    shazzz Posts: 1,077
    EnnBee wrote:
    shazzz wrote:
    Anyone know if he's riding Tour of California again?

Yes, he is scheduled to.

Thanks, good to hear. Here's hoping he is over the injury woes of last year.