postition of cadence counte

andy 3654
andy 3654 Posts: 183
edited March 2013 in Road beginners
where on the bike is it best to place the cadence counter, I mean the actual counter bit not the display.

Obviously near the crank but im unsure where is the best place.

Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Left hand side (so away from the chain), depends on bike but as long as you get the crank magnet & receiver lined up and working thats all.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • andy 3654
    andy 3654 Posts: 183
    i did think it was on opposite side of chain but wasn't sure glad I checked
  • danlikesbikes
    You can put it either side if you want as long as receiver unit can be set either front or backwards you'd need to check your manual.

The reason for using the non drive side is that the crank is more exposed and easier to move the magnet & holder up/down the crank for fine tuning as there is now chain ring to get in the way. Plus no chain which could slap up & down (you'd be surprised at how much movement you can get) bashing into the receiver unit, plus if you take out the rear wheel the chain will then rub up against the receiver potentially moving it and making you loose signal.

Might not be a Garmin that you have but this YouTube video should get you going in the right direction - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wg19nLxToXs
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    Again as Dani said, it may not be a Garmin sensor, but either way personally I mount mine under the tube. 2 reasons, first I think it looks better, but second some people have reported the sensor working loose and falling down into the spokes, breaking some stuff as it goes. If it is already underneath hanging down, if it does come loose I am hoping it will do less damage. Saying that, I had it on top for 12 months and 5000 miles and I never had a problem.

i1c0cw2.jpg

When taking that photo I realised just how dirty my bike is :oops: I am suitably ashamed.
  • danlikesbikes
    Gizmodo wrote:
    Again as Dani said

When taking that photo I realised just how dirty my bike is :oops: I am suitably ashamed.

So you should be that bike is dirty, plus I am a male (last time I checked) so no i on the end of my name :)