Forum home Road cycling forum The bottom bracket

'postrophes are they goin' out of fashion

team47bteam47b Posts: 6,424
edited March 2013 in The bottom bracket
I don't thin' so, they seem to be every'where these day's, don't ya' know :D
my isetta is a 300cc bike

Posts

  • chrisaonabikechrisaonabike Posts: 1,914
    team47b wrote:
    I don't thin' so, they seem to be every'where these day's, don't ya' know :D
    So much so, thats just old new's.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • upperoilcanupperoilcan Posts: 1,180
    Go steady Team otherwise you will have the grammer police on yer back. :shock:
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • dodgydodgy Posts: 2,890
    Go steady Team otherwise you will have the grammer police on yer back. :shock:

    <sirens>Grammar<end of sirens>
  • upperoilcanupperoilcan Posts: 1,180
    I did wonder how long it would take to spot...

    Sterling work that man. :D
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • team47bteam47b Posts: 6,424
    To show plural possession, make the noun plural first, then immediately use the apostrophe, eg The two boys' bicycles and the two women's hats.

    It is so much easier in Portuguese...

    Bicicletas os dois meninos e chapéus das duas mulheres

    no apostrophes in this language! - went out of fashion, bit like fashion did here :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • LagrangeLagrange Posts: 652
    you are telling us that if we wish to discuss hats then we have to speak Potuguese?
    ..not easily persuaded on that one. In fact I REFUSE!
  • chrisaonabikechrisaonabike Posts: 1,914
    team47b wrote:
    To show plural possession, make the noun plural first, then immediately use the apostrophe, eg The two boys' bicycles and the two women's hats.

    It is so much easier in Portuguese...

    Bicicletas os dois meninos e chapéus das duas mulheres

    no apostrophes in this language!
    Thing is, even in English, you're perfectly at liberty to say, "The bicycles of the two boys, and the hats of the two women." You'd sound like a knob, but it's the same construction.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • team47bteam47b Posts: 6,424
    Of course it is the truth of what you speak :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • declan1declan1 Posts: 2,470
    What really annoys me is when people confuse "They're", "Their" and "There". How hard can it be?!?

    Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

    I have no idea what's going on here.
  • chrisaonabikechrisaonabike Posts: 1,914
    declan1 wrote:
    What really annoys me is when people confuse "They're", "Their" and "There". How hard can it be?!?
    Clearly, hard enough to be too hard for most people :)

    In reality, it's not that people are too thick, it's that they a) haven't been educated properly, and b) can't be bothered.

    Some people don't seem to mind (or be slowed down by) poorly written English, but I am, and it drives me nuts. An analogy would be that repeatedly tripping over typos and incorrect punctuation is like driving over cobbles - I can do it, but it's uncomfortable. I can read much more fluently if I'm not forever stopping, even momentarily, to figure out what they meant from the context.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • pinnopinno Posts: 47,745
    team47b wrote:
    Of course it is the truth of what you speak :D

    Message from the dark side I hear...

    Team47b is Yoda - now I understand. No wonder your a bit cranky and stiff H. Fair play to you, still cycling at the grand old age of nine hundred and something. Sure they have rollers that are 45cm x 35cm out there?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • team47bteam47b Posts: 6,424
    OK you've rumbled me, I am short, old and have spent the last three weeks in a dressing gown :D

    They are having smaller diameter rollers and step ladder it is easy for me now, mrmrm do or do not, for me there is no try.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQ4yd2W50No
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • CiBCiB Posts: 6,098
    declan1 wrote:
    What really annoys me is when people confuse "They're", "Their" and "There". How hard can it be?!?
    Clearly, hard enough to be too hard for most people :)

    In reality, it's not that people are too thick, it's that they a) haven't been educated properly, and b) can't be bothered.
    There's another option. Bear in mind in my skull I am the Grammar Police and the Syntax Gestapo in one and know beyond any reasonable level exactly how they're there & their are used, The number of times I look at something I've written and see the wrong one there does my 'ead in though but. The fingers get on with typing the words without the brain having a say in the process, sometimes.

    Don't dismiss calamitous spelling, punctuation & grammar as the work of an imbecile. Actually, do that - at the very least a quick sanity check before hitting Send or Post should be enough. String 'em up.
  • team47bteam47b Posts: 6,424
    Yeah you're right, don't blame it on the imbeciles! They have an IQ of between 26–50

    You can't blame it on the morons, they have an IQ of between 51–70

    Blame it on the idiots, they have an IQ of between of 0–25.

    How do you get nought in a multiple choice test, surely the law of averages... :D



    (Medical figures, not a judgement by me)
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • pinnopinno Posts: 47,745
    CiB wrote:
    There's another option. Bear in mind that? in my skull I am the Grammar Police and the Syntax Gestapo in one and know beyond any reasonable level? exactly how they're there & their are used,comma and then capital letter? The number of times I look at something that? I've written and see the wrong one there and see the wrong one there?!? - fabulous grammar does my 'ead in though but in though but!!. The fingers get on with typing the words without the brain having a say in the process, sometimes.

    Don't dismiss calamitous spelling, punctuation & grammar as the work of an imbecile. Actually, do that - at the very least a quick sanity check before hitting Send or Post should be enough. String 'em up.

    I have just reconstructed that sentance for you 'grammar police' (hee hee):

    At the very least, making a quick sanity check before hitting 'Send' or 'Post' should be enough.

    Sometimes you have to practice what you preach. :D
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • dodgydodgy Posts: 2,890
    CiB wrote:
    There's another option. Bear in mind that? in my skull I am the Grammar Police and the Syntax Gestapo in one and know beyond any reasonable level? exactly how they're there & their are used,comma and then capital letter? The number of times I look at something that? I've written and see the wrong one there and see the wrong one there?!? - fabulous grammar does my 'ead in though but in though but!!. The fingers get on with typing the words without the brain having a say in the process, sometimes.

    Don't dismiss calamitous spelling, punctuation & grammar as the work of an imbecile. Actually, do that - at the very least a quick sanity check before hitting Send or Post should be enough. String 'em up.

    I have just reconstructed that sentance for you 'grammar police' (hee hee):

    At the very least, making a quick sanity check before hitting 'Send' or 'Post' should be enough.

    Sometimes you have to practice what you preach. :D

    Sentence.
  • CiBCiB Posts: 6,098
    CiB wrote:
    There's another option. Bear in mind that? in my skull I am the Grammar Police and the Syntax Gestapo in one and know beyond any reasonable level? exactly how they're there & their are used,comma and then capital letter? The number of times I look at something that? I've written and see the wrong one there and see the wrong one there?!? - fabulous grammar does my 'ead in though but in though but!!. The fingers get on with typing the words without the brain having a say in the process, sometimes.

    Don't dismiss calamitous spelling, punctuation & grammar as the work of an imbecile. Actually, do that - at the very least a quick sanity check before hitting Send or Post should be enough. String 'em up.

    I have just reconstructed that sentance for you 'grammar police' (hee hee):

    At the very least, making a quick sanity check before hitting 'Send' or 'Post' should be enough.

    Sometimes you have to practice what you preach. :D
    Yawns widely.

    Style guide? Excessive use of commas and conjunctions can make a casual writing style harder to read or cause it lose its fluency. For formal occasions conjunctions are welcome and required, but it's debatable whether style issues should be highlighted as grammatical errors. You'll note that the BBC has consistently dropped that as a conjunction in all of its output, spoken and written.

    :wink:
  • pinnopinno Posts: 47,745
    The BBC English is plain shyte most of the time. My primary angst with them is when they talk in essences:

    "...Fred West was found hanging from his cell..."
    "The Whitehouse said..."
    "Buckingham Palace said..."

    etc etc

    Dodgy - I am not claiming to be the grammar police or even suggested that i cud aktially spel. :P
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
Sign In or Register to comment.