New chain lube

bernie1973
bernie1973 Posts: 86
edited March 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Just taken delivery of a new KMC chain and it's coated in quite sticky grease. Is this transit grease that needs to be removed before the chain is relubed and fitted or is it ok to mount it as is?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Perfectly fine.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Is on their FAQ page, question/answer 2 - http://www.kmcchain.eu/?en/faq/
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    That stuff is the best grease. Quiet and should last a couple of hundred miles depending on weather ect. Before you need to lube again
  • Cheers folks. Will go fit my new chain so I can get out before it gets dark.
  • thelonegroover
    thelonegroover Posts: 1,073
    Rather than spray something on the chain, I'd put some of what you intend to spray on a rag and wipe the chain sides.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • Plyphon
    Plyphon Posts: 433
    Lube needs to get inside the rollers, it is useless on the sides.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Eh? There's already factory grease there, it is a good suggestion so it does not break down the stuff on the rollers
  • Rather than spray something on the chain, I'd put some of what you intend to spray on a rag and wipe the chain sides.
    I'd never planned to do any spraying. As suggested I've just left the factory grease on and it's been as smooth as silk round the woods this afternoon.

I see now that the spray is suggested on the KMC FAQ.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Once the original stuff needs replacing, degrease properly and buy some Squirt.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools