Long distance commute - bike suggestions

JeffHaynes
JeffHaynes Posts: 18
edited March 2013 in Commuting general
Currently my commute to work is approx 11km across town (Hove to Falmer), using a knackered borrowed alumnium hybrid with 700c wheels. Its falling apart a bit but hey ho it gets me from A to B. 35-40 minutes on average. I am no spring chicken but that's pretty good for me, hills and heavy traffic included.

However in 3 months time our work is moving offices. It'll be near Gatwick (35-40km) :-( :(:( and I want to continue commuting at least 2-3 days (alternate days) so I am in need of on upgrade to help me comfortably do this. Budget is 600 English pounds , route will be hilly (400m ascends) and hopefully away from main A roads...

Over to you guys for a recommendation of a new bike

Comments

• Do you need to be able to fit a rack for Pannier Bags?
  • Would be useful if possible, wanted to avoid using a rucksack at this distance, however its not essential as I might be able to leave clothes at work
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Considering the cost of alternative means of transport, 600 English Pounds is not very much.
    Consider a winter training style (eg Kenesis TK), disc-equipped cyclo-cross style, Audax.
    Rack and mudguard capability (bolt on eyelets and generous clearance) is really useful for commuting.
    You can also do part commutes using a train.
  • Extralight
    Extralight Posts: 136
    This could be a great opportunity. If your intention is only to ride a few times each week, then provided you plan properly, you can take changes of clothes in with you on your non-bike days, meaning that when you ride, you won't need to carry anything other than a windproof/waterproof for any changes in weather, and the usual spares and tools in your saddle bag... which means you could use a road (race) bike. It will be faster and more fun to ride than something with panniers.

35-40km is quite a distance, so (initially at least), you might want to consider only riding one way on any one day - that's assuming there's somewhere secure you can leave your bike overnight (preferably inside the building), and that you have public transport options to get you between work and home (unless you work it so that you bring the bike in the back of the car to work, ride home, then ride in to work the next day, then drive home with the bike etc).

A long commute when you don't have to carry locks, clothes and all the other stuff that you need if you do it every day doesn't feel like a commute, it becomes a bike ride. Go for it!
  • Extralight
    Extralight Posts: 136
    Sorry if I didn't answer the question directly - I got carried away with encouraging the long commute! What I'm suggesting, if it wasn't clear, is get an out and out road bike (I commute on the same bike that I race on), but unfortunately I can't advise on what would be best for £600 other than to suggest to go for one that you like the look of that fits you well.
  • Cost of train annual season ticket = 2000 quid approx
    Annual car costs, diesel @ 145p a liter, Car tax, MOT , servicing = 3000 quid approx

Yes, it would be cheaper in the long run to bike it. However I can not see myself not doing 100% (ie. 220 working days - annual leave - bank holdays) of the 180 commutable days per year, so I would need to car/train for some part of th week hence by 600 quid budget.

Specialized Tricross perhaps? (Edinburgh cycles http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/product ... tAodSn8AKA)
  • fatsmoker
    fatsmoker Posts: 585
    I use a Specialized Secteur for a 48km round trip. Works fine for me. I see another guy on a similar run on an Allez.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    JeffHaynes wrote:
    Specialized Tricross perhaps? (Edinburgh cycles http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/product ... tAodSn8AKA)
    I've got a tricross - for the wet/winter commute .
    It can take paniers and mudguards - although you need to check the forks as mine don't have any fastenings there so had to sort that out ...

You'll need to factor in buying lights, guards, racks and possibly some good cycling kit - inc shoes/pedals.

With the stock tyres - 32mm CX's it can be quite hard work compared to my Allez on 23mm slicks, but swap them out for slicks and it's much of a muchness ...

I've found the Tricross a much more upright position for the same size frame as the Allez - toying with the idea of getting a longer stem .. But being more upright is handy when the ground is tricky.
  • What about this?

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/product ... ross-bikes.

Bargain. I'd of got one of these if I could have got one small enough.Look at the Tricross as well and that Tourer above looks nice.
  • I'm with Extralight. I think if you are going to not be riding in two or three days a week you could get a straight up road bike for less then £600 ( so many choices so will say no more on specific models, but i think being able to fit mudguards such as cruds or SKS raceblades is a a good idea). Fatsmoker mention the Allez and secteur which are both good choices IMO. Just make sure you take in what you need on non cycle days that you dont want to burden yourself with load on the bike or your back.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    They may have changed it - but my Allez is not set up for racks and guards are tight so it has to be something like the crud road racers. I have put p brackets on and braced a rack against the seat post, but it's not ideal.
  • Big_Paul
    Big_Paul Posts: 277
    What about this?

http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/product ... ross-bikes.

Bargain. I'd of got one of these if I could have got one small enough.Look at the Tricross as well and that Tourer above looks nice.

Absolute bargain, tough as old boots and can take a real beating.
    Disc Trucker
    Kona Ute
    Rockrider 8.1
    Evil Resident
    Day 01 Disc
    Viking Derwent Tandem
    Planet X London Road
  • Cheers All.

Will take a good look at the Edinburghs Revolution Cross '13. I'll report back my final choice
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,819
    The 'Cross is certainly pretty cheap and great VFM but for a slightly more up to date cross-style bike I'd suggest looking at what I am now using having bought abut 2 months ago :
    Jamis Nova Sport : http://www.evanscycles.com/products/jam ... e-ec041504
    Under £600 (I got mine at an initial promotional price of £520 which made mine even more of a bargain)
    Disc brakes, hydroformed aluminium frame with tapered steerer, Sora 8-speed compact transmission. room for guards (alhough not at the rear with the oe 32mm cx tyre)
    Not light (well, mine isn't with big rear saddlebag plus guards and bidon filled with spare tubes etc) but it gets up and down hills fine and to me seems a perfect relatively cheap all-year-round commuting bike.
  • nigglenoo
    nigglenoo Posts: 177
    Road bike with carbon fork and clearance for larger tyres and mudguards, £550:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/pin ... e-ec044210
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Ribble Audax/winter frame bike?
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • nigglenoo
    nigglenoo Posts: 177
    'Better' group set than the Pinnacle Dolomite 2 that I linked to above, i.e. the Sora build for £575 is 9 spd, the Pinnacle is 2300 8 spd, but then 8 spd stuff is more durable IME.

Also I believe the Ribble uses standard drop brakes which means it will not have clearance for mudguards with tyres bigger than 23mm. whereas the Pinnacle has deep drop 57mm brakes which should allow clearance for 25-28mm tyres even with mudguards. Personally I would not commute without mudguards and 23mm tyres are a bit harsh on UK roads for anything other than competitive riding IMO.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    nigglenoo wrote:
    'Better' group set than the Pinnacle Dolomite 2 that I linked to above, i.e. the Sora build for £575 is 9 spd, the Pinnacle is 2300 8 spd, but then 8 spd stuff is more durable IME.

Also I believe the Ribble uses standard drop brakes which means it will not have clearance for mudguards with tyres bigger than 23mm. whereas the Pinnacle has deep drop 57mm brakes which should allow clearance for 25-28mm tyres even with mudguards. Personally I would not commute without mudguards and 23mm tyres are a bit harsh on UK roads for anything other than competitive riding IMO.
    Personal choice I suppose, for a long commute, ie not touring, 23mm wheels are fine IMO... I ride a ribble audax with 23mm tyres, guards and panniers everyday all over London
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • gixernick
    gixernick Posts: 180
    I've just bought a Kinesis T2 and I've put 28mm tyres on and SKS mudguards. It's been great so far, even in the snow!!
    I commute between 13 and 26 miles each way. (I sometimes drive halfway then ride, hence the difference in distances)
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Ribble Audax/winter trainer. You see loads of them. Good all rounders.
  • I'm doing a 60km each day on a MTB equiped with Schwalbe Big apple tires and it suites me a lot. In my opinion riding a bike with fat tires is more safe than a racebike. The possition on the MTB is more impressive the same with the tires. So i'm commuting with arockrider 8.2 and he never let me down. With the winterconditions we had last months I cleaned the bike at least 2 times a week to get the salt and mud of it.
    Doing a continual shift means also that I am on the road early in the morning(4am) or late in the evening 10pm so the need for good lights is also important Leyzine lamps suits me wel and I can reload them with the USB cable.

going for miles
    grtzs pat