edited March 2013 in Commuting chat
just been asked to go to a session at the gym on the their new "wattbikes"

anyone ever used one?

looks quite funky linkage
Keeping it classy since '83

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    It's watt British Cycling use. It will make you like Chris Hoy; Scottish.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • pitchshifter
    pitchshifter Posts: 1,476
    I did a Watt Bike challenge once. Never again...

Good bits of kit though if you use them seriously..
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    well im told the guy doing the training session is an iron man competitor, so fingers crossed he knows his stuff

he has given me an the other guys in my place doing the "help the heros" ride free gym passes an spin sessions to get us "up to fitness" which is nice....
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    I'm doing my first class at work next week (under duress). I'll let you know what it's like if I'm still alive.
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    msmancunia wrote:
    I'm doing my first class at work next week (under duress). I'll let you know what it's like if I'm still alive.

mine is this sunday, if i dont post any of my usual rubbish on monday, i didnt survive
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    They are no different than your normal gym spin bike in terms of being able to move & adjust quite a bit but have the benefit of great computer readout & programming so you get the best of both worlds.

Seem to be more places getting them which I think is a good thing, just need to get a few round my local way.

Enjoy the session!
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    My work gym has one. They don't have any fans though and claim the normal AC should suffice :S
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    If you want to get fit for a long ride, you need to get out on your bike. IMHO training indoors is not the way to go. It will help a bit, but nothing beats getting the miles in outdoors.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    The Wattbike is beneficial if you're making the most of its performance monitor. The power output, for example. I particularly like the pedal stroke display that shows you where you're applying power through the pedal revolutions; it can really help smooth out your pedalling, and clearly shows when one leg is working more than the other.

Aside from that, they are quite cool as stationary bikes because they're calibrated so that each Wattbike is directly comparable to another; this also means you can "race" on Wattbikes (similar to what Concept 2 ergos can do if you connect them together or use the Internet and RowPro).
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    I went on a watt bike for the first time about two months ago. At first I thought it was bust because it reckoned my left leg was providing 55% of the force so I switched to another. That gave the same results, turns out my left leg does most of the work even though I'm right handed. I've since found out my left leg is shorter and As a result my left calf is bigger.

By the way if you have an ant+ heart rate belt you can get the watt bike to use it. Options, HR, scan I think.