Brakes wrong way around

Iveadenuf
Iveadenuf Posts: 7
edited March 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
I have just bought a Canyon bike, it is still wrapped up, but in the manual it says the brakes are Rear on the Right and front on the left, I have been riding the opposite for the past 20+ years, can I change them around without bleeding them, I have heard that Avid elixirs can be flip flopped but I cannot find how to do them. So please explain this process.
Brakes Avid elixir 1

Blind as a bat, daft as a brush-

Comments

• Horton
    Horton Posts: 327
    Most Canyons sold in the UK are set up as we normally expect - rear on the left, so do check before you do anything... That said, it's easy to change if they are flip/flop levers, you just undo the bar clamp, take the whole lever off, flip it over, put it on to the other side of the handlebar, then clamp it back up. You may however find you need to alter the hose length, but this can be done with most levers without needing to bleed if you're careful. If you're not confident about it, take it to your LBS.
  • spacedog
    spacedog Posts: 97
    It's really simple. You just need to remove the brakes from both sides of the bar and refit them on the other way around.

You will need to remove your grips and possibly gear shifters, depending on your setup.

All you will need is some Allen keys.

Make sure the hose routing is still OK, if not you may need to rethred the brake hoses so hey don't get caught up when turning your bars.
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    As horton says. Only extra thing may be if you have matchmaker clamps for the gear shifters, but either way, easy swap.
    No need for grips to come off.
  • spacedog
    spacedog Posts: 97
    I had a quick look on CRC at Avid elixir 1 brakes before posting. They look like the single bolt type clamp.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=85972

If these are the brakes on the canyon then everything needs to come off.
  • Horton
    Horton Posts: 327
    Like I said in original post, do please check them before stripping and swapping - when I queried this with Canyon direct before I got mine a few years ago, they said that all bikes supplied to the UK are sent with brakes set up as we're used to rather than the way pretty much everyone else runs them...
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    It's common sense though really isn't it? loosen clamp bolts on grips, shifters, brakes. Slide off, refit on the other side. done.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 804
    From memory the stickers on the box stated it was a UK build when I got mine and the brakes were the right way round. Check yours first
  • Many thanks for all the replies.
    :)
  • adamfo
    adamfo Posts: 763
    edited April 2013
    I've ordered a Nerve 29er and the photos on the website do indeed show the front brake on the left.

nerve-al-29_02_perspective.png

nerve-al-29_05_perspective.png
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Because it's a Euro company, but they change them for UK orders. Sometimes.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The manual for my Trek said the brakes came set up the 'wrong' way round, but when I picked up the bike it was set up the way we'd expect, front brake on the right.

Having said that, the LBS might have switched them when building it up.
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    Spacedog wrote:
    I had a quick look on CRC at Avid elixir 1 brakes before posting. They look like the single bolt type clamp.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=85972

If these are the brakes on the canyon then everything needs to come off.

My bad for contradicting, I was thinking of my 3's and my cr's..