Transpenine Express

ianwilliams
ianwilliams Posts: 257
edited March 2013 in Commuting general
Hello,

I'm going to be taking my bike with me from Leeds to Liverpool on the Thursday before Good Friday.

Any tips for taking my bike on (what could be quite a busy) train?

Cheers

Comments

• Make sure you book ahead. They might not let you on otherwise.

"Most of our trains have a dedicated area for carrying two bicycles. These are carried free of charge and space can be booked in advance by calling our reservations team on 0845 600 1674. They can confirm how many spaces are available. If you are unsure when you will be travelling, you can take your bike with you without booking in advance, but space will be allocated on a first come first serve basis. For more information visit our Cycle Policy or download a copy of our cycle policy"
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • Phil_D
    Phil_D Posts: 467
    I don't think you will need to worry.

I get the TPE most weeks at commuting time and have never had a problem. There is cycle storage on board but the problem with this is that there are fold down seats there and usually someone sat on them. They do move though when you point out it is cycle storage.

But what I do is get on at the first class entrance. About one third of this carriage is reserved for wheelchair users: fold down seats. There is ample space there and the guards don't mind you putting the bike there. If the seats are taken, there is plenty of room in the area for you to stand with yor bike or lean it against the toilet wall.

I have got on packed TPE trains in the past with my bike and never had a problem. You generally find that people without first class tickets don't get on at the first class door so it is the quietest part of the train.

The worst that ever happened was I had to put my bike in the toilet.

By all means book your bike on for belt and braces, but it won't make any difference if you don't.
  • ianwilliams
    ianwilliams Posts: 257
    Great, thanks for the help. Hopefully I should be able to travel without any problems.