Road side 'Bodge Jobs'

Barrzy257
Barrzy257 Posts: 411
edited March 2013 in Road general
So today a spoke snapped, whilst I was 30 miles out from home, this put my back wheel well out of true to where it rubbed seatstay on one side, so with a little bit of head scratching i removed the broken spoke, then between the hub and the inside dropout I put a part from my multi tool ( bit with spoke keys and spanner on), this then pulled the seatstay out just enough so it never rubbed and I then managed to limp home the 30miles!

This got me thinking to what other road side 'bodge jobs' everyone else has had to do? Thought it would be a laugh, or maybe even help someone out

Comments

• ellj22
    ellj22 Posts: 122
    So you had a spoke key but rather than part re-dish the wheel, you risked permanent damage to your frame? certainly an interesting one!

Fixed a rear mech with a stone and some surgical tape once.
  • Barrzy257
    ellj22 wrote:
    So you had a spoke key but rather than part re-dish the wheel, you risked permanent damage to your frame? certainly an interesting one!

Fixed a rear mech with a stone and some surgical tape once.

I was happy with how it was on the frame, and confident no damage to be done, only moved the dropout a few mm out. I did think about going over the wheel, but the spoke key was dreadful and would of either damaged the spokes or couldn't move them. Wheels are the only thing on the bike im not 100% confident with, will have to do some reading and tinkering soon!
  • ellj22
    ellj22 Posts: 122
    Fair enough. Wheels are probably the most daunting part of a bike when it comes to maintenance, but a little knowledge and experience can go a long way. I'm guessing the wheel has quite a low spoke count to move so far from one spoke? Loosening the two adjacent spokes slightly often gets the wheel ride-able again. It might be worthwhile getting the wheel rebuilt with new spokes as the spokes near to the break may well be stretched and susceptible to breaking when back up to tension.
  • Barrzy257
    thanks for the heads up, i'll look into getting it rebuilt, i'm pretty handy at most mechanical things, always fancied truing/building wheels, only been cycling 18months so learnt stuff as i've needed to
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Sounds like a good excuse to buy a new wheel whilst you tinker with that one ;)
  • Barrzy257
    Slowbike wrote:
    Sounds like a good excuse to buy a new wheel whilst you tinker with that one ;)
    Unfortunately, I have a perfectly good powertap wheel to go in there! But, I did have a link snap on my chain the other day so now i've got into my gf's head that things are ' starting to go wrong' with my bike and it might be worth trading it in... haha
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    N+1 ..... N+1