Sram PowerChain 1030/1

CommyAdam
CommyAdam Posts: 70
edited March 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hey, i need to take a link or two out of my Sram PowerChain 1030 10 speed chain (or 1031 not sure) and i have read online that this isnt possible? I am not desperately techy when it comes to maintaining my bike and assumed all chains could be broken down with a standard chain tool. It would appear that to improve strength thats not possible with this sort've chain? Is this true? there is no way to take a link out?

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    If you've used a power lock you'll need to break the chain and use a new one or even better one that is reusable from another maker
  • dv69
    dv69 Posts: 19
    Take a look at this SRAM service page:
    http://www.sram.com/service/sram/258,45

The 2010 technical manual mentions that a chain tool is required to shorten the chain (Page 73):
    PC1090R / PC1090 / PC1070 / PC1050 / PC1030 (1/2" X 11/128")
    Chain length: (A chain tool will be required to shorten the chain)

The user manual for cassettes and chains doesn't mention shortening the chain but does say that the chain can only be closed with a PowerLock and the PowerLock can only be removed with a chain tool.
    I think this may be where the confusion comes from. 9-speed chains were closed with a PowerLink which could be re-opened. 10-speed chains use a PowerLock which can not be opened like the PowerLink could.
  • CommyAdam
    Ah, ok thanks! I think no luck on that front then. Yes, this is my first experience with a 10-speed powerchain...will go for a reusable chain shortly then i think...
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    Yes there is, I think you've misunderstood
  • dv69
    dv69 Posts: 19
    Yes, I'll try again :)

1. SRAM indicate the PC1030 can be shortened with a chain tool.
    2. 10-speed SRAM chains are closed with a PowerLock
    3. The PowerLock can not be opened (the PowerLink on the 9-speed chain could be opened and re-closed)
    4. The PowerLock can be removed with a chain tool

It should be possible to open the chain with a chain tool, remove a link and then rejoin with a new PowerLock.
    I hope that's clearer.
  • CommyAdam
    Yes, thank you i see now... will give it another go...appreciate it!