cadence reading fault?

johnc2788
johnc2788 Posts: 17
edited March 2013 in Road beginners
Not sure where to post this but here's the problem. I lost the magnet (came off on a ride from the crank) and then followed the advice given here of replacing it with a neodinium magnet that's strong enough to stick to the crank. Any way the problem is that the cadence reading is now all over the place, being about double what it was. Any ideas? Anyone had the same? Is the magnet that comes with the unit special in some way? Thanks in advance for any responses.

Comments

• Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    no, a magnet is just a magnet, although leading physicists still are unable to fully explain the mechanism of magnetic attraction. Neo's are very strong and may be causing too much field deflection when close to the sensor. The original magnet with these devices is pretty weedy. Just find a spot where the sensor can be moved a bit further away from the magnet and everything will be ok.
  • johnc2788
    johnc2788 Posts: 17
    Thanks for the reply. will try the magnet in another position.
  • thefd
    thefd Posts: 1,021
    Buy this. Cheap and specific for attaching to the spokes.
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    TheFD wrote:
    Not much use as a cadence magnet. :?
    OP. I use the neodymium magnet on several bikes. It works fine. I have 12mm ones on the end of the pedal spindle. This does mean repositioning the sensor unit and the wheel magnet. I find the extra strength of the magnet means it can be further away from the sensor (about 10mm in my case) but you must still line it up with the marks correctly.
  • thefd
    thefd Posts: 1,021
    John.T wrote:
    TheFD wrote:
    Not much use as a cadence magnet. :?
    OP. I use the neodymium magnet on several bikes. It works fine. I have 12mm ones on the end of the pedal spindle. This does mean repositioning the sensor unit and the wheel magnet. I find the extra strength of the magnet means it can be further away from the sensor (about 10mm in my case) but you must still line it up with the marks correctly.
    Your right - wrong one :oops: I didn't have my brain in gear...happens often!

Try this then!!
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    We have all done it.
    The neodymium ones are much neater though. You can not even see them without looking behind the crank. I would not use anything else now.