Bibshorts on a budget!

hodgyoh7
hodgyoh7 Posts: 14
edited March 2013 in Road beginners
Evening,

Just about got all my kit together now!! I am really struggling with the choice of bib tights. I reckon the average time i will spend in the saddle will be around 2 hours. I am on a budget, dont want to break the 60 quid barrier. I have been looking at Tenn Outdoor products on amazon but a little worried that it will be a buy cheap buy twice scenario.

Any advice

Your help would be appreciated.

Comments

• The DHB ones on Wiggle should be ok. I've got some winter tights that were £50 IIRC and they've served me really well over the last few months.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    dhb, not a lot comes close at the price. Santini Edge if you can stretch to £75 but given your budget, dhb.
  • hodgyoh7
    hodgyoh7 Posts: 14
    I have been looking at those actually! They seem to get good reviews. Would you stay away from the Tenn Outdoors gear in your experience?
  • Try ProBikeKit, I got some PBK elite bib shorts for £49.50, great value and really pleased with them.
  • Wiggle have their top DHB on offer at 59.99 at the moment, bargain - mind i have some of the entry ones and for up to 2 hours they are good.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I got some Campag Super Roubaix ones from chainreaction. They are £64 down from £159 and seem great for the money.
    I paid £58 in a 'private sale' 8) so its worth getting on their list.
    They have others so take a look.
    I am 6'1" and got the XXL which are fine. They have free returns too ;-)
  • denniskwok
    denniskwok Posts: 339
    Another vote for dhb bib shorts/tights. Really well made and awesome for the price. I got a set of dhb Pace Roubaix winter tights for less than £30 before Christmas, as they were end of line. My only regret is that I only bought one pair.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Shimmyhill wrote:
    Wiggle have their top DHB on offer at 59.99 at the moment, bargain - mind i have some of the entry ones and for up to 2 hours they are good.

If you need bib-shorts for rides of less than 2 hours then I respectfully suggest you should be looking into changing your saddle...
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    planet x do padless bibs that are really good for only 30 quid so if you have summer bibs already then you are onto a winner - and planetx also have vermarc team issue summer bibshorts for 30quid and these are stunning value...
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Another +1 on the discounted Campagnolo bibs doing the rounds at the moment (all end of line) - if you can find one in your sized (go a size or two larger than normal).

Endura bibs are good too - the FS260 ones (or even the FS260pro ones if you can find then at the right price).
  • Coach H
    Coach H Posts: 1,092
    apreading wrote:
    Shimmyhill wrote:
    Wiggle have their top DHB on offer at 59.99 at the moment, bargain - mind i have some of the entry ones and for up to 2 hours they are good.

If you need bib-shorts for rides of less than 2 hours then I respectfully suggest you should be looking into changing your saddle...

And what is this advice based on? I respectfully suggest it is trolling nonsense :roll:
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')
  • Anonymous
    apreading wrote:

What do you wear on sub 2 hour rides then?

Whats the saddle got to do with wearing bib shorts? If its the wrong saddle, its the wrong saddle regardless of padding level and time spent in it I would have thought.
  • Buckie2k5
    Buckie2k5 Posts: 600
    apreading wrote:

so he to go out in his jeans or just his undercrackers. what do you suggest omighty wise one
  • Bordersroadie
    Bordersroadie Posts: 1,052
    Tenn stuff is good value. Shorts are a small fit. Pad is good on the more expensive version, as good as Altura pro gel, say. I use mine a lot for commuting and as undershorts for tights. Used, abused and washed many times and going strong.
  • Redmog
    Redmog Posts: 50
    I reckon you should take a look at these
    http://www.corinnedennis.co.uk/shorts/mens-supplex-performance-biking-shorts-1.html
    A bit under your budget I know, but the comfort & quality is terrific. The longs are six quid more, and still in budget :P
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    raptor on ebay think they were 16.99 + PP. great for the money

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Raptor-Co ... 3f1b047226
  • Anonymous
    Buckie2k5 wrote:
    apreading wrote:

so he to go out in his jeans or just his undercrackers. what do you suggest omighty wise one

Give him a while to respond, he is probably busy with his new pope!
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    I wasnt going to respond, but I stand by what I said - although I didnt phrase it quite right. Bibshorts or whatever is not the issue, what I should have said is that if you need PADDING for rides of less than 2 hours then your saddle or something else is not right for you.

The padding comes into its own on loger rides when muscle fatigue, constant road vibrations etc would otherwise mean things start getting sore/tender and you need some cushioning to reduce and cope with this soreness better.

Bibshorts and/or lycra in general for comfort and performance is understandable whatever the distance.

But if you need padding to pootle around for an hour or go to the shops then there is something wrong.
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    I agree, the padding is to stop chaffing, I dont think its supposed to be a cushion anyway
  • mrbubbaman
    mrbubbaman Posts: 171
    hodgyoh7 wrote:
    Evening,

Just about got all my kit together now!! I am really struggling with the choice of bib tights. I reckon the average time i will spend in the saddle will be around 2 hours. I am on a budget, dont want to break the 60 quid barrier. I have been looking at Tenn Outdoor products on amazon but a little worried that it will be a buy cheap buy twice scenario.

Any advice

Your help would be appreciated.

I have Tenn padded sorts from amazon and they were cheap, but not as comfortable as the bib shorts I bought from Decathlon for around the same price.
    I recently bought since dhb roubix bib shorts and they are brilliant! Well worth it and cracking value for money, once the Mrs has settled down from my current spending, I'll buy some more :mrgreen:
  • Gren82
    Gren82 Posts: 48
    +1 for dhb. Have their top of the range bib shorts and a pair of the mid range roubaix winter ones and can't fault them. Great fit and finish for the money
  • njd37
    njd37 Posts: 162
    In the price range your looking at go with DHB.