Seatpost grease?

bennett_346
bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
edited March 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
What's the best type of grease, if any for an alu seatpost in an alu frame?

Just had to remove mine after it got stuck for the first time in 3 years. It had been greased about 6 months ago and lowered/extended fairly regularly but a 4 week gap with it left in the tube must have got it stuck.

Is normal teflon grease OK or is there a better kind? Don't want a repeat of today...

Comments

• stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    On my hardtail I put copper grease on the post as its not going to be moved more than a couple of times a year, the copper grease stops Galvanic corrosion which is what caused your post to stick. On the bouncer I just pull the post out after every ride and clean the grit off with GT85 spray, its up and down several times a ride so isnt going to corrode in place.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    edited March 2013
    I just use a big pot of Halfords greasy grease for almost everything. Nice golden colour.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    I didn't know you needed different types of grease for different componenets, I use tf2 lithium grease for everything from the seatpost to the stem bolts - is this bad practice? Surely unless there's certain corrosive chemicals in different types of grease that react with certain materials, then grease is just grease?
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    You can use any old grease but copper grease is the best it stops galvanic corrosion (which is what makes your post stick) and you could probably leave the post in for 20 years and it would slip out.

As I said I take the post out regulary and wipe it with GT85 and that works for me.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I would avoid lithium based greases.
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    I went for normal teflon grease but i think i was a bit too liberal with it because the post just slides down lol.

Think i'll just give it a light GT85 like suggested and take it out to clean regularly.