Recommended tyres for..

cheaterkiller
cheaterkiller Posts: 159
edited March 2013 in Road beginners
What are the main tyres recommended for high speed riding? In other words minimum rolling resistance but with some bias towards durability. No set budget but not interested in anything stupidly expensive.

Comments

• smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    For outright speed Vittoria Open Corse Evo CX, not very durable though.

For a good compromise Continental Gp 4000's.

See I can be helpful.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Schwalbe Ultremo ZX
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Schwalbe Ultremo ZX

+1

Probably the best performance tyre on the market for speed and low roll resistance.

Make sure you get plain black and if you look around you can get them for around £25 easily. Not cheap but by no means bank breaking.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Not overly durable though. Fast certainly.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • smoggysteve
    smidsy wrote:
    Not overly durable though. Fast certainly.

Smidsy you tinker. Sure they run out if steam quickly but that's not the point. Still like lighting compared to the opposition!!!
  • blackhands
    blackhands Posts: 950
    Vittoria Pave
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    + 1 for schwalbe ultremo zx
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • pride4ever
    pride4ever Posts: 510
    What are the main tyres recommended for high speed riding? In other words minimum rolling resistance but with some bias towards durability. No set budget but not interested in anything stupidly expensive.
    The really expensive ones mainly.
    the deeper the section the deeper the pleasure.
  • xcMuttley
    xcMuttley Posts: 434
    Ive just fitted Onza Preda folding tyres to mine. Similar to Schwalbe ultremo zx, but half the price!
    As far as i can tell so far they are durable and the specs certainly suggest so
    I love them but not many people know about them so i cant see you getting many other people on bikeradar giving you a +1 on these haha. But if you dont want to spend quite as much you should certainly consider them!
    Check out my blog for my views and reviews: http://memylifeandmybike.blogspot.co.uk/
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    xcMuttley wrote:
    Ive just fitted Onza Preda folding tyres to mine. Similar to Schwalbe ultremo zx, but half the price!
    As far as i can tell so far they are durable and the specs certainly suggest so
    I love them but not many people know about them so i cant see you getting many other people on bikeradar giving you a +1 on these haha. But if you dont want to spend quite as much you should certainly consider them!

Good to know about an alternative to the zx, they are a touch heavier so perhaps they even more durable, let us know what happens in the long term.

+1 for onza preda price :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • smoggysteve
    Bet they don't look half as cool on rims as Ultremos though
  • dmclite-3.0
    dmclite-3.0 Posts: 845
    Deda Tre Rs are good tyres. They are very similar to Vittoria Corsa's but about half the price. have a look at Ribble they do tyres for a song with all the discounts.

High durability look at vittoria Rubino pro's as well, high pressure/ less rolling resistance.
    I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast, but I'm intercontinental when I eat French toast...
  • xcMuttley
    Bet they don't look half as cool on rims as Ultremos though
    Depends what style you like ;) Personally id rather have the Onza tyres on looks alone haha
    They are very grippy through corners too, surprisingly so!!
    Will let you all know how i get on with them!
    Check out my blog for my views and reviews: http://memylifeandmybike.blogspot.co.uk/
  • xcMuttley
    http://s1070.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... y/library/?

These are the tires fitted to my old and new wheels, guess which set is which ;) You decide on the looks for yourself but i love them!!
    Haven't tried the tires on the new wheels yet so will hopefully make them feel even better!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 74,814
    FWIW I have GP4000s on my weekend roadie and GP 4 seasons on my commute.