Bike repairs etc

renevat
renevat Posts: 56
edited March 2013 in Road beginners
I've still got lots to learn about bike repairs etc but wondered what advice/thoughts folk out there would offer about getting bikes and 'doing them up' to sell on so as to learn more and earn a couple of extra shillings? Thanks all.

Comments

• hipshot
    hipshot Posts: 371
    Its a good idea if you want to learn about bike mechanics, although I would do it on a second 'project bike' rather than your main ride. Bicycles can take a suprisingly long time to get roadworthy for such simple machines (especially vintage stuff) and you do want to ride as well as work on it.
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    renevat wrote:
    I've still got lots to learn about bike repairs etc but wondered what advice/thoughts folk out there would offer about getting bikes and 'doing them up' to sell on so as to learn more and earn a couple of extra shillings? Thanks all.

Only one tip needed, 'Buy low, sell high'.
    Like most things in life there is no quick route to easy money - time and energy is required to build bikes for profit.
  • Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    If you do up and sell a bike you've used to practice or learn on, theres a risk that the buyer may not be entirely happy with the work done, or it may be incomplete or at worst, dangerous. I'd do one up and learn really well first before you decide if you think you can make money at it. Then you can do a really good pro job and get some recommendations from happy clients.
    The bike shops round our way are all struggling to make a living and some of them are real mechanical experts. That tells you there's not very much money in it, I think.
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    Sprool wrote:
    If you do up and sell a bike you've used to practice or learn on, theres a risk that the buyer may not be entirely happy with the work done, or it may be incomplete or at worst, dangerous. I'd do one up and learn really well first before you decide if you think you can make money at it. Then you can do a really good pro job and get some recommendations from happy clients.
    The bike shops round our way are all struggling to make a living and some of them are real mechanical experts. That tells you there's not very much money in it, I think.

There certainly is money in it but one needs to know the right price to buy at - I often buy and build to help fund my hobby. The bike shops may well be struggling because they are competing against the big online retailers. My pals own and run a local bike shop and whilst I would never claim to have their mechanical knowledge (I still go to them when I have any issues that I cannot resolve myself) I've probably got a better knowledge of secondhand value than they have - I pick their brains on the mechanics and they often ask for my advice on pricing.