Seen my slowest mph today,any one been slower.

elderone
elderone Posts: 1,410
edited March 2013 in Road beginners
Went for a ride today and managed to see my slowest speed since I started riding.It was 3mph and this was on the ponderosa hill.Ok its a steep bugger in nice conditions,but there was a horrid headwind all the way to the actual horse shoe.Hardest cycling to date,HR mega high,legs like jelly and just grit me teeth and got to the top. :D
So as we had the fastest on a bike,who can beat my slowest.
http://app.strava.com/activities/44377964
Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori

Comments

• Whufcrule
    Whufcrule Posts: 131
    may off been slow one my friend but least u dug deep and got to the top dont let them get the better off ya mate
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Reminds me of Wrynose with proper man's gears - I'm fairly sure my bike was actually stationary in between each time I hauled myself up on the bars to stand on the pedals again.
  • Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    *checks rides.

Slowest speed (on a ride not just in traffic or something) - 3.5mph.

http://app.strava.com/activities/42117443#
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Not for a while - but it was pretty slow when we had the snow & ice -

did a small climb at avg 2.8mph ... and we still overtook cars on the way up!

COCKing Hill climb 0.5mi 167ft 2.8mi/h

shortly after we passed through they closed the hill to motor vehicles ... :)
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,516
    It really doesn't matter as your getting out and riding which is the important thing.

On the other side you've measured your perfomance making an obligation to beat it next time...... :wink:
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • elderone
    Slowmart wrote:
    It really doesn't matter as your getting out and riding which is the important thing.

On the other side you've measured your perfomance making an obligation to beat it next time...... :wink:
    I,ve done same hill before and quicker.Was just due to head wind mainly.It was only for very short time, just proves how wind makes things harder than they need to be.

Some slow times aswel lads.Long as its moving and not walking then it still counts. :mrgreen:
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    There's a couple of places around here where I would be doing those speeds if I chose to ride them. This month I have been pootling along at around 11mph and doing the latest strava challenge. Seems like its been horrendously windy just about every day and the downwind bits don't seem to compensate. It's been quite enjoyable as its just a question of putting the hours in day after day
  • canny_lad
    canny_lad Posts: 329
    Bet you're quicker up there when you get that Defy on the road :D

Fair play to you for grinding it out, it's all miles in the tank.
  • elderone
    Canny lad wrote:
    Bet you're quicker up there when you get that Defy on the road :D

Fair play to you for grinding it out, it's all miles in the tank.
    True that is,I said to the mrs when i got back,the next time I go up there will be on the new bike,in summer kit.
    TBF im well happy with my overall for a 5mile climb cat 3 and 2 which was 7.6mph .The 3 mph bit was just the lowest I slowed to at one point.
    Headwinds build stamina,so they say. :D
  • saprkzz
    saprkzz Posts: 592
    Dont think I have ever seen that slow even on my mountain bike!!! lol :lol::lol: (said jokinly and in cheek :wink: )
  • I can make my daily commute in aout 43 mins if its not too windy, yesterday was windy and took me an hour, so makes a big difference.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    I'm quicker than that on my Zimmerman frame ...
  • elderone
    Mikey23 wrote:
    I'm quicker than that on my Zimmerman frame ...
    Good for you,will watch out for you at the zimmerframe nationals. :wink:
    It,s not a willy waving thread and im sure most if not all cyclists have gone at a crawling pace or even walked.
    Have a look at mow cop or hardknot on utube.On tv other day even the pro,s got off and walked.
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    Got down to 2mph on the Crow Road according to Strava: http://app.strava.com/activities/8262511#151380836 :)

It's not even that steep! In mitigation I did have a few miles in my legs and had to contend with a strong headwind and whole lot of rain.
  • elderone
    thegibdog wrote:
    Got down to 2mph on the Crow Road according to Strava: http://app.strava.com/activities/8262511#151380836 :)

It's not even that steep! In mitigation I did have a few miles in my legs and had to contend with a strong headwind and whole lot of rain.
    Thats cool and after all that riding aswell and it proves even some one at your level of fitness and stamina can get that hill and head wind combo that just saps energy.
  • junglist_matty
    junglist_matty Posts: 1,731
    2.5miles took me 30minutes.... on 23/01/2013

I was off road and it was flat terrain.... A lot of crusty snow on the surface with plenty of deep mud underneath (which I didn't quite understand how it wasn't frozen) meant it was the worst ride I can remember for quite some time! Just couldn't seem to get the bike moving at all, every 5 meters would get stuck, put the foot down and into some deep mud! ....GRIM
  • ademort
    ademort Posts: 1,924
    Havent got anything recorded as such but i have ridden my bike to and from work in winds over 100Km/h and was almost at a stand still at times.
    Ademort
    ademort
    Chinarello, record and Mavic Cosmic Sl
    Gazelle Vuelta , veloce
    Giant Defy 4
    Mirage Columbus SL
    Batavus Ventura