best cycle pump to carry

iGaz
iGaz Posts: 36
edited March 2013 in Road general
can anyone suggest a decent pump to take with me that doesnt break if i give it a bit of elbow grease.

Comments

• fevmeister
    fevmeister Posts: 353
    better to spend money rather than save in this department - a decent spend usually gives you better quality and you only use hand pumps when needed most! I need a new one tbh - currently have a thompson carbon something or other - its very small and was quite cheap but it struggles to get me above 80psi if i encounter a flat and need to inflate a replacement on a ride. im looking at some leyzne offerings
  • Leemerlin
    Leemerlin Posts: 26
    I use a topeak race rocket. Find it works well for me
  • Decent grouptest of these in this months Cycling Plus
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    Depends if you want a "get you home " pump or something that will really get your tyres up to pressure, if its the later then look at the topeak road morph.
    The extra 100 g i doubt you will notice over a mini pump and its has a foot peg and a t handle so it works like s mini track pump.I have had mine a few years and it has never failed me , gets your tyre to 100 psi very quickly .
    http://www.topeak.com/products/Pumps/RoadMorphG
    FCN 3/5/9
  • iGaz
    Cheers thanks will look at the Topeak race rocket. I have gone through a few pumps over last year so I want to make sure i have one that can give the tube a bit of pressure instead of breaking once i get past 70psi.
  • iGaz
    Depends if you want a "get you home " pump or something that will really get your tyres up to pressure, if its the later then look at the topeak road morph.
    The extra 100 g i doubt you will notice over a mini pump and its has a foot peg and a t handle so it works like s mini track pump.I have had mine a few years and it has never failed me , gets your tyre to 100 psi very quickly .
    http://www.topeak.com/products/Pumps/RoadMorphG

Will look at this one now and if looks right I will go with it thanks
  • Decent grouptest of these in this months Cycling Plus

Yes. I'm now £30 lighter because of that. Stupid group tests.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Quick silly question ...

I already have a mini pump - it's ok, does the job - but I never know what pressure I've achieved - do you worry about that or do you just guess (or till the pump reaches it's limits) ... ??
  • adr82
    adr82 Posts: 4,002
    Slowbike wrote:
    Quick silly question ...

I already have a mini pump - it's ok, does the job - but I never know what pressure I've achieved - do you worry about that or do you just guess (or till the pump reaches it's limits) ... ??
    I just pinch the tyre between finger and thumb and judge it from that. Easy to tell when it's at a decent pressure (one that will avoid that horrible feeling of rims hitting the road whenever you go over a bump!).
  • I think with most mini pumps you just push as much air in as you can and it'll still be less than what you went out with. How much less will depend on the pump.

That said, some of them are very good and will achieve the pressures easily, in which case I'd just go by feel. I usually compare it to the other tyre.
  • willow71uk
    willow71uk Posts: 114
    Leemerlin wrote:
    I use a topeak race rocket. Find it works well for me

+1 for the Top Peak pocket rocket
  • guado78
    guado78 Posts: 29
    I use one of these in size small. Fits in jersey back pocket or medium sized Topeak Aero Wedge DX saddle bag no problem;

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... tAodnWMAdA
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    +1 for the Lezyne Pressure Drive, uses a rubber hose too.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... p-11-45358
  • I use a Zefal HPX, because I can. ;)
  • Hollow-legs
    Hollow-legs Posts: 142
    I have for the last 18 months had and been using the LEZYNE pressure drive ,it is a excellent pump,,well made ,strong ,stiff and works perfectly well ,it just fits a cycling jersey back pocket !

However ! The last time i had to use it ,which was last week when the rear tube went on my turbo training bike setup,,I had real trouble pumping up a new tube ,,Problem was the air chamber seal/rubber gasket has developed a leak ,i could hear air escaping from the top...it took me ages and a lot of arm work to get the tube up!
    Now the pump is virtually useless?

So ,i am in the market for a replacement ,,,i have decided on either the TOPEAK race-rocket or SKS puro ,cannot decide which one yet,,i love the look of the SKS..
  • jermas
    jermas Posts: 484
    +1 Lezyne

I also own a specialized air tool and really rate it. Cheaper than the Lezyne and actually works better.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/air-tool-road-pump-ec027073#BVRRWidgetID
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    I have for the last 18 months had and been using the LEZYNE pressure drive ,it is a excellent pump,,well made ,strong ,stiff and works perfectly well ,it just fits a cycling jersey back pocket !

However ! The last time i had to use it ,which was last week when the rear tube went on my turbo training bike setup,,I had real trouble pumping up a new tube ,,Problem was the air chamber seal/rubber gasket has developed a leak ,i could hear air escaping from the top...it took me ages and a lot of arm work to get the tube up!
    Now the pump is virtually useless?
    Lezyne FAQ wrote:
    CAN I REBUILD AND SERVICE MY HAND PUMP?
    Our Hand Pumps are built using very few parts, so rebuilding them is quite simple and easy, though can certainly be messed up. If you are experienced with rebuilding things or mechanically inclined, feel free to rebuild our pumps. We do sell rebuild kits and spare parts for pumps if they are necessary. If you want it rebuilt for you, send it in as a warranty.
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    Beware the type that comes with a flexable hose screw on type adaptor, you can end up unscrewing your tyre valve inner when it's time to unscrew and remove. I had to rescue a guy once on a sportive who had this problem :!: :oops:
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Ron Stuart wrote:
    Beware the type that comes with a flexable hose screw on type adaptor, you can end up unscrewing your tyre valve inner when it's time to unscrew and remove. I had to rescue a guy once on a sportive who had this problem :!: :oops:

You need to unscrew the hose from the pump 1st. The pressure (in the hose) then lessens and the core does not generally loosen. And yes I speak from experience (Lezyne Pressure Drive).
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    smidsy wrote:
    Ron Stuart wrote:

You need to unscrew the hose from the pump 1st. The pressure (in the hose) then lessens and the core does not generally loosen. And yes I speak from experience (Lezyne Pressure Drive).

Is this on the operating instructions :?:
  • ednino
    ednino Posts: 684
    I hate little pumps so i carry Co2
    Got a good track pump at home for actually setting pressures
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    ednino wrote:
    I hate little pumps so i carry Co2
    Got a good track pump at home for actually setting pressures
    How many cylinders? What do you do if you run out?

I hate the little pumps, but have the pressure drive - I'm also carrying the co2 for when I'm pushed for time or its raining. Yet to get a puncture whilst carrying the co2!
  • fevmeister
    fevmeister Posts: 353
    I'm teetering on the edge whether to buy the pressure drive S
  • Bordersroadie
    Bordersroadie Posts: 1,052
    After breaking several valves with mini pumps I finally got a pump with a flexi hose and it's superb, no more broken valves and I get a true 100psi without loads of effort. I'm not interested in "get me home" pressure if I still have several dozen miles to go.

My shortlist was the Lezyne road drive and the Topeak Mini-morph. Plumped for the latter and it's been used on the road to great effect. The fact that you can hold the end to the ground when you pump makes it much easier to get good pressure. The valve attachment is just a push-on-then-fold-small-lever, so no issues with valve cores being unscrewed. Weighs about 50g more than an equivalent non-hose type pump (with which people can tend to break valves with in desperate attempts to get proper pressure in the tyre).
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Topeak Road Morph-G. Works like a mini track pump, so can easily inflate a road tyre to the desired pressure. Flexible hose, clamp on head so no unscrewing valve cores, and a little inline gauge (which I now can't read so rely on squeezing the tyre and guessing)
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    Zefal HPX. They come in different lengths. :idea: