Canyon Ultimate AL

lone wheeler
lone wheeler Posts: 163
edited March 2013 in Your road bikes
DSC00471_zps6f921128.jpg

Comments

• That is very nice.

Nice to see something other than carbon.
    Wilier Cento Uno SR 2013 in Fluro Yellow
    Cannondale Caad10 2014 in BLACK!!
  • I have just order a the same frame. Any idea of size, weight, components?

Looks great!!!
  • I havent ridden it yet, quality seems very good though. The headset seems to give the bike a high front end, it will take a bit of getting used to but at least ill be able to use the drops again! Lol. Built with campagnolo super record, kmc chain, syntace f119 stem, Cavendish pro bars and lightweights. On paper it should be a good stiff ride. Weighs 6.53kg.
  • DSC00475_zpsb86f8897.jpg

With Ambrosio Nemisis wheels.
  • DSC00472_zps82a64b08.jpg

Relegated to training bike, still rides great though.
  • kirkee
    kirkee Posts: 369
    very nice, your canyon looks a fast machine, good in white. How have you found the newer shape campag levers moving from the old ones? I tried them a few years ago but went back to my older pair.
    Caveat - I buy and ride cheap, however, I reserve the right to advise on expensive kit that I have never actually used and possibly never will
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    That first picture looks amazing. Shows that aluminium is still a strong contender in the material race - 6.5KG!!! :D

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • Hi Kirkee, I hated the look of the new shape hoods when they first came out and being a bit of a lucite, i've resisted change until now and to be fair, once they are in your hand and after riding with them for a few miles i now think they feel a lot more substantial and pretty comfy too. I'll probably dislike riding the old shape soon! I remember having the previous shape to the 10 speed and thinking they were great however looking back they were really uncomfortable with a nasty pointy bit on top of the hood.
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    looking forward to fitting my Nemesis wheels today. I suspect we are at the opposite ends of the sizing chart LW. My Canyon Al is a 64cm and because of the large steering tube looks a bit Fugly at the front. Bikes in general look a lot better where the top tupe and down tube are in closer proximity!
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • Hi Yellow Peril, I haven't ridden the Canyon with the Nemesis wheels fitted yet although i have been riding the Nemesis for about three years now and love them.
  • Yellow Peril
    Hi Yellow Peril, I haven't ridden the Canyon with the Nemesis wheels fitted yet although i have been riding the Nemesis for about three years now and love them.

It'll be a big day out for me when they're fitted. I've never ridden tubs at all. The wheels themselves are a work of art built by fellow forumite Ugo.santalucia. It's almost a crying shame to put them on the bike.

I've been out on my Canyon once and was very impressed. Having said that I don't have a history of particularly high pedigree bikes and so a pro team frame with Ultegra groupset was a revelation!
    @JaunePeril

• You'll love them. bombproof, fit and forget type wheels and the ride that tubs give, you won't go back to clinchers.

Over the years i have raced and ridden on all sorts of materials (not ridden titanium), steel, alloy, carbon etc and recently wanted to treat myself to a new frame but couldn't find anything that really took my fancy. Most carbon bikes look the same to me currently, I'm not that interested in a made to measure steel at the moment (maybe in a few years time) and the Canyon struck me as a bargain. The frame seems nicely finished and i'd read good reviews so i decided to go for one.
  • Yellow Peril
    You'll love them. bombproof, fit and forget type wheels and the ride that tubs give, you won't go back to clinchers.

Over the years i have raced and ridden on all sorts of materials (not ridden titanium), steel, alloy, carbon etc and recently wanted to treat myself to a new frame but couldn't find anything that really took my fancy. Most carbon bikes look the same to me currently, I'm not that interested in a made to measure steel at the moment (maybe in a few years time) and the Canyon struck me as a bargain. The frame seems nicely finished and i'd read good reviews so i decided to go for one.

Couldn't agree more. I couldn't afford anything overly exotic but to get an ex pro frame with one off graphics built especially for Paris Roubaix for £425 seemed a no-brainer. my build cost with Ultegra and a set of Ksyrium S was about £1200 which I think is a lot of bike for the money.

I'd be interested in comparing the Canyon with other German mail order bikes such as Focus and Rose
    @JaunePeril

• Thankfully budget wasn't too much of an issue, i just could not find anything that got me excited hence the reason for going for something that wasn't going to break the bank until maybe something comes out in the future that I could really lust over. Then again, now I have the Canyon, it's going to be an even tougher decision to move to something else just for the sake of it!
  • Yellow Peril
    Thankfully budget wasn't too much of an issue, i just could not find anything that got me excited hence the reason for going for something that wasn't going to break the bank until maybe something comes out in the future that I could really lust over. Then again, now I have the Canyon, it's going to be an even tougher decision to move to something else just for the sake of it!

I always fancied a Cyfac as something a bit different. I believe you can actually get put up by them if you go for the full bespoke package.
    @JaunePeril

• Gabbo
    Gabbo Posts: 864
    I've got money sitting in my account, waiting for a Canyon sale. I'll be as patient as possible, unless the savings are minimal. For the record I'm after the Ultimate CF SLX