Quattro Sportive 2013

Legobrickman
Legobrickman Posts: 36
edited March 2013 in Road beginners
Ok, so in a moment of stupidty i decided to enter this years Quattro sportive. I say stupidity as im aiming for the full 84 miles (If you're gonna do it...Do it properly) and it will be my longest distance to date. So far i'm up to 40/50 miles in one go.

Has anyone else done this and what is the course like?

Comments

• bokawel
    bokawel Posts: 8
    I think you should be fine. If you can do 40/50 miles in one go then you are nearly there. Next aim is to try 60, 70, 80 miles in your training. I think that will be the key.

I am also new in Road Biking, been commuting with my old FCR for a few months now and loving it. I will be joining two sportives this year, a 60km sportive and a 40mile charity ride. I will be doing some training in next few months leading to these events.
  • Seasoned experienced advice...

In my experience, riding 84 miles is a completely different kettle of fish to riding 40/50 miles. It's another 2 hours (maybe more) on the bike, and if you haven't ridden for that time before then it may be a struggle / uncomfortable. But don't panic, you've got a little time left. I'd suggest doing consecutive weekend rides of longer distances than you've ridden before (60miles+) just so you get a feel for what riding for that length of time if like. You can also get an idea of what pace you need to set to maintain your effort and how best to fuel yourself to last the distance. Build this up to the bank holiday weekend and get some decent length rides in on the Friday and Saturday. I'd taper it down for the rest of the week (maybe a couple of recovery rides on the Sunday and Monday, maybe 40 miles ish) to keep your legs fresh but rest for the days leading up to the sportive.

Throw in some mid week training, mainly high intensity work which is more time efficient and will boost endurance. However be wary not to cram. The main thing until the sportive is to get your body used to being on a bike for the length of time necessary to ride 84 miles (5 hours ish).

Also, I don't know the route, but if it's hilly make sure you throw in some hills on your longer training rides as the efforts required will sap your endurance on the sportive.

Most of all, try your best and (try) to enjoy it! I loved my first sportive experience!
    2011 Trek Madone 3.1c
    2012 Ribble 7005 Winter Trainer

Dolor transit, gloria aeterna est.
  • bokawel
    bokawel Posts: 8
    Great advice Kent....
  • Thanks Kent.
    Well i did a 44 miler on saturday and felt pretty good with it, Took me three hours which i'm not sure is good or bad but i wasn't doing for the speed rather the distance.
    It's the whole fuelling thing that gets me. What to eat and when to eat.
    The wife swears by jelly babies every mile or so when shes running.
    As for hills...Milton keynes aint realy know for its hills but i got a Watt bike so i use that for simulating hills.
  • pride4ever
    pride4ever Posts: 510
    Start doing stretching exercises now and get some major flexibility into those muscles before you undertake this. Might be worth you dropping some pounds too in readiness. You should do it but the last 20 might not be a lot of fun. I guess it doesn't get any flatter than Milton Keynes so its probably the easiest sportive on the calendar.
    the deeper the section the deeper the pleasure.
  • lol, I only weigh 12stone as it is.
    The ride goes through Northants, Buckinghamshire, Bedfordshire and Cambridgeshire and says it's not an extreme course...Milton keynes is just where i live and ride.
    Untill very recently i was still running 30+ miles a week and easily do 13 to 15 mile runs. Im hoping this would be some kind of help.
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    As others have said,just build up to it and dont over do it.As for fuelling,the best i,ve read is drink before your thirsty and eat before your hungry.Little and often is the ticket.
    Just enjoy it and good luck.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • pride4ever
    pride4ever Posts: 510
    lol, I only weigh 12stone as it is.
    The ride goes through Northants, Buckinghamshire, Bedfordshire and Cambridgeshire and says it's not an extreme course...Milton keynes is just where i live and ride.
    Untill very recently i was still running 30+ miles a week and easily do 13 to 15 mile runs. Im hoping this would be some kind of help.

I weigh less than 10st at fighting weight. If your a tall dude then fair enough, otherwise you could shed some pounds yet.
    the deeper the section the deeper the pleasure.
  • 5'9" and happy with my weight.
    Have to admitt im not doing it for weight loss either.