Hello all

step83
step83 Posts: 4,170
edited March 2013 in MTB beginners
Im getting back into biking and thought it would be a good idea to join up.

Im Stephen 29 from Milton Keynes and im largely unfit :(

Not the most amazing bike but its a good base spec below it was my brothers though he decided to have am midlife crisis and by a motorbike instead so some of the bits like the brakes are odd choices

Carrea Kraken 2004 18" frame I think
Original rims (no idea what they are)
Tiogra stem
unbranded riser bar
Nukeproof grips
Suntor XC60 shocks
Clarks S2hydro brakes front and rear (203mm front and 185mm rear)
Deore trigger shifters
Deore front and rear mechs
Hollowtech II BB
Deore crank and chainring
Wellgo V12's (i think)
Conti Contact travel 1.75's

So far ive cleaned it up and fitted a new chain the old one was pretty much ruined, Ive ordered a set of new brakes some nice Shimano 596's as the clarks are both leaking through the lever area. New gear cables are also on order. Ive also ordered a set of schwalbe black jacks to get me going as the contis wont last more than a minute on the mud.
He has given me his workstand as well which is a god send. Ill post some photos up when i get it back to mine at the weekend, hopefully ill be able to plop on the new brakes and cables unless it snows again.

Im based in Milton Keynes so my main places are Brickhill/Aspley Woods and Chicksands. I popped up brickhill with a friend which was brilliant but wouldnt mind some other places localish if anyone knows of any?

Comments

• Hello and welcome, nice to see someone else who is unfit :D
  • step83
    Thanks, im hoping to get back into shape a bit with this :s
  • FatMikeUK
    FatMikeUK Posts: 51
    If you're doing a few miles each week you'll be amazed how quickly your fitness increases. Glad you're enjoying yourself!
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    These guys go out quite often & know a lot of the routes - http://www.cyclonembc.co.uk/website/ nice bunch of chaps/girls. Have done a few sunday rides and seem like a good bunch.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • Bumped in to the cyclone peeps a few times and follow their Facebook page - they seem a nice bunch.
    I also ride with a group from Leighton buzzard on Thursday nights (lumens loonies) and occasionally on weekends (mostly ride trails solo or a couple of friends).

There is also a group called the Buzzards who do a night ride and weekend ride and meet up at Rushmere.

You're spoilt for choice really. On one side you have Ashridge and the Downs, on the other Rushmere, Woburn Sands, Brickhill (this all includes Apsley/Woburn etc), and the whole of the Ridgeway, Aston Hill etc.

PM me if you need contact details for any of these group rides.

Paul

PS you'll be surprised just how much quality bridleway runs from Wolverton to central milton Keynes to L.Buzzard!!
    Family, Friends, Fantastic trails - what else is there

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12898838
    viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12897374
  • step83
    Thanks Dan and Paul thats great ill keep my eye out for them when im up there next, I tend to go early Sundays so ill probably bump into them along the way.
    Id totally forgotten about the Downs I remember going up there a fair few times with friends who did kiting. An ill defiantly be nosing about for the bridleways.

I fitted the new brakes which are 100 times better though the rear seems a bit vague nothing a bleed shouldnt fix. It did have a massive motox style front mud guard which is gone an ill be reducing that front rotor down to 180/185. Once thats done I can start looking at a better set of shocks and have some fun. Took a pic quickly of the bike an you can point an laugh at the huage rotor :lol:

c60f20da-4ce3-44b0-8a3b-f094ae829053_zps772acf5d.jpg
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Nice....Bars are Tioga, wheels are Formula (if original - the wheels look original).

Please post your bike in the Carrera HT thread (link in sig) also feel free to check the extremes you can take a Kraken to (my own is in the other link - other Carreras are just as mental, notably 'Greer's.)

My bike started on a 203 disc, but that was because I was on rotten cable brakes, now on 160mm with Hydro's.

Doubt the rear needs a bleed, more likely the pads need advancing, many confuse the 2!

Those Tioga stems are horrid, flexy and heavy, well worth looking for a cheap upgrade (25.4 stems can be had for a few quid, I have a few spares - also a 180/5mm disc and probably adaptor).

Enjoy your ride!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Yeah I forgot to add/mirror what Beginner said - put your carerra in the Carrera thread, and check out my old Carrera for a few further ideas - my bike was much loved by me. Link in my sig
    Family, Friends, Fantastic trails - what else is there

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12898838
    viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12897374
  • mtb_phil
    mtb_phil Posts: 25
    Hi Stephen, your situation sounds much like mine! I'm also in MK and just started back into cycling again, trying to regain some free time which I lost to kids and get fit again! I saw Cyclone through web searches for clubs around MK but haven't quite plucked up the courage to venture out with a club until I can build a bit of fitness up, I don't really want to be puffing and wheezing trying to keep up! :oops:
    From a bit of searching I also found there are some other places to ride not so far away such as Chicksands in Bedfordshire and Harlestone Firs and Salcey Forest in Northants.
  • step83
    Thanks beginner and Paul ive posted in there already ;) Ill have a look at advancing the pads on the rear.
    I forgot what I was doing on the fronts and gave the lever a squeeze without the wheel/rotor so had to reset them which may be why they feel so different, ill give it a go over the weekend.

Stems I'm very open to advice on (as with all kit really) I wasn't aware if the weakness last thing I want is the thing snapping on me riding. The rotor and mount are already on order waiting on CRC to deliver on that. Ill have a proper look at the Carrera thread in a bit for ideas.

Phil, I know what you mean about the wheezing, im not hugely fit ill admit but one of the guys i went up with the other week made me feel very fit! Ill have a nose about those places youve mentioned as well always good to explore new places.
  • step83
    Thought id say been out today up the woods in the snow etc, great fun very messy but noted an issue with the tyres I've a set of Schwalbe Black Jacks which were OK on the road coming back down to the car park an that was about it. Can anyone suggest some better ones for mud and wet sand? I think the max width on the bike is 2.10".

Also Beginner I had a nose at some new stems i know the clamp size is 25.4mm the steerer is a bit odd the Suntour site lists the race crown as 30 (doesnt say mm, inches or KM so im going mm) will something like this fit? A shorter stems fine with me.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=55262

Sorry im asking a lot of questions :(
  • dg1973
    dg1973 Posts: 18
    Also a beginner here having recently got into MTBing. Wish I'd found it sooner. Friends and family think is a midlife crisis !! Started the year running to get fitter after years of smoking. Ventured up the woods with the dog one day and something just clicked. Took my old mtb up there with a mate for a look and we are both now pretty hooked. Just wish I could figure out the trails !! Constantly getting lost ! Signed up for the Woburn Evans 30 miler next month and hopefully off to Chicksands this Friday.
    Went to Woburn yesterday, good fun but hard,messy work in places.

Usually go to Woburn on Sat afternoons.
    Look forward to meeting you all ;-)
  • dg1973
    dg1973 Posts: 18
    Step83 - thanks for the pm. I can't reply for some reason. Probably my stupidity. Could you send me a map of the routes please. Email is daveg1973@icloud.com if it easier to email.
    I always have £20 on me for the warden but am yet to see him. Can't argue with £20 for trails like that. Even though u can rarely find them again !!

Will be going up on Sun morning weather permitting. Was there in the snow on sat so it will have to be extremely extreme to not go.

Anyway. Thanks again, probably bump/crash into you one day.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Step83 wrote:
    Can anyone suggest some better ones for mud and wet sand? I think the max width on the bike is 2.10".

Also Beginner I had a nose at some new stems i know the clamp size is 25.4mm the steerer is a bit odd the Suntour site lists the race crown as 30 (doesnt say mm, inches or KM so im going mm) will something like this fit? A shorter stems fine with me.
    Panaracer Fire XC Pro are a good all round tyre, £10 ish each fro wire bead, £22 plus each for lighter foldings, otherwise they are identical.

The fork is a standard 1 1/8th Inch steerer, length wise start with 80 or 100mm and go from there, many Halfords currently have 100mm 25.4 stems in a sale at around £8 or £10 each and it's not a bad bit of kit at all and fairly light, I run one on my commuter.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.