Panniers

Headhuunter
Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
edited March 2013 in Commuting chat
I commuted by bike yesterday, 1st time back on a bike since the arm break.... I felt pretty out of shape. Anyway, I've now got a bike with panniers on seeing as the medical staff reckoned that the reason I broke my arm was that I was carrying a heavy rucksack when I hit the back of the van.

Is it just me or does the total weight weight of bike, rider and panniers feel so much heavier than bike, ride and rucksack? Or perhaps I'm just much less fit...
Do not write below this line. Office use only.

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,331
    I think you feel the weight on the bike more in some ways as when you move the bike under you it obviously has more weight.
    In real terms it doesn't make as much difference. The weight is still there, just in a different place.
    Glad you're back on a bike though.
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    I commuted by bike yesterday, 1st time back on a bike since the arm break.... I felt pretty out of shape. Anyway, I've now got a bike with panniers on seeing as the medical staff reckoned that the reason I broke my arm was that I was carrying a heavy rucksack when I hit the back of the van.

Is it just me or does the total weight weight of bike, rider and panniers feel so much heavier than bike, ride and rucksack? Or perhaps I'm just much less fit...

I still reckon it was hitting the van that did the damage.

The reason you feel it will be because carrying a rucksack it adds a small % to your mass in that area, conversely by carrying a pannier and the bike being lighter than your torso, its a larger % and you'll feel it more.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • Headhuunter
    Veronese68 wrote:
    I think you feel the weight on the bike more in some ways as when you move the bike under you it obviously has more weight.
    In real terms it doesn't make as much difference. The weight is still there, just in a different place.

Can't cycle every day yet though as the ride made my bone ache, I suppose it's the road buzz going through the bone.... Think I might start doing more running.... Until something goes wrong with my knees... Then perhaps swim up the Thames? I'm b*ggered if I'm going to take PT for much longer!
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    he said "bone ache" :lol:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,646
    Veronese68 wrote:

Can't cycle every day yet though as the ride made my bone ache, I suppose it's the road buzz going through the bone.... Think I might start doing more running.... Until something goes wrong with my knees... Then perhaps swim up the Thames? I'm b*ggered if I'm going to take PT for much longer!
    I'm with cyclingprop on the rucksack theory. Its up there with rotational brain injury.

I gave up on panniers for just the reason you state - they make the bike feel dead. The weight of a pannier isn't dynamic. If you hit a pothole, the dead weight of panniers jars the bike. Whereas, if you have something on your back, it lifts off the seat when you do. Blah.

The wrist will take some time to feel normal. Ligaments in particular heal very slowly. However, the best way to stop the pain when cycling is to get it used to cycling, which you should do before all of the scar tissue has built up (this will still be happening).
  • Headhuunter
    Veronese68 wrote:

I'm with cyclingprop on the rucksack theory. Its up there with rotational brain injury.

I gave up on panniers for just the reason you state - they make the bike feel dead. The weight of a pannier isn't dynamic. If you hit a pothole, the dead weight of panniers jars the bike. Whereas, if you have something on your back, it lifts off the seat when you do. Blah.

The wrist will take some time to feel normal. Ligaments in particular heal very slowly. However, the best way to stop the pain when cycling is to get it used to cycling, which you should do before all of the scar tissue has built up (this will still be happening).

Yeah, I don't like using panniers but I'm now scared of carrying rucksacks! I wasn't sure about getting back on the bike every day yet, I just don't want to damage the bone whilst it heals... I had a stress fracture in my leg from running too much a few years back and it was really hard to shake off... As soon as I started running again it would come back
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    I'm an ex pannier rider, there i said it, but don't use a backpack, most of the time a large saddle bag is enough. A pannier wasn't any slower per say but it does really take the edge off and is a real drag on windy days..

Considered a carradice? more aero and the frame looks minimal to keep weight down.
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/carradice/cycle/
  • I stick my laptop bag in an Carradice saddle bag. It's keeps theweight on the seatpost so doesn't unbalance the bike and I don't get back ache or a sweaty back from a back pack. They can come with a seat post Q/Rbracket so you can keep a race saddle on your bike.
    It's a really functional piece of kit. Only downsizes are reduced ability to bunny hop over potholes or rubbish in the roads (increased pinch punctures?) and maybe they're not "cool" enough looking for some people.
  • First.Aspect
    Yeah, I don't like using panniers but I'm now scared of carrying rucksacks! I wasn't sure about getting back on the bike every day yet, I just don't want to damage the bone whilst it heals... I had a stress fracture in my leg from running too much a few years back and it was really hard to shake off... As soon as I started running again it would come back
    Understandable. Breaking bones is not fun. In any way.
    But the good news is that you are cycling again.
  • Headhuunter
    Understandable. Breaking bones is not fun. In any way.
    But the good news is that you are cycling again.

BTW, what did you break that required so much metalwork (your avatar photo)?
  • First.Aspect
    Pilon fracture of the ankle. Nasty one too. Many pieces.

I've just had the plates and a good deal of scar tissue removed, so fingers crossed for some further improvement.

Basically, if I wasn't so stubborn, I wouldn't have a useable ankle, despite what the surgeon managed to do. My physio told me quite early on that most people stop doing any work on a damaged joint after about 6 months because its more comfortable to make do with what you have by that point. If I'd have done that, I'd be walking with a stick and the statistics for my injury suggest that is about what I should expect.

That's why I'm such a strong advocate of doing absolutely everything physios and doctors say, and giving the injured body part at least the opportunity to adapt to what you want it to do - in my case cycling and rowing. Also, my experience tells me not to be discouraged by perceived lack of progress or function. Sounds like you are off to a good start on that front.

By the way that photo of your injury was pretty difficult to see and its good that you are back up and running so soon.
  • Headhuunter
    Pilon fracture of the ankle. Nasty one too. Many pieces.

I've just had the plates and a good deal of scar tissue removed, so fingers crossed for some further improvement.

Basically, if I wasn't so stubborn, I wouldn't have a useable ankle, despite what the surgeon managed to do. My physio told me quite early on that most people stop doing any work on a damaged joint after about 6 months because its more comfortable to make do with what you have by that point. If I'd have done that, I'd be walking with a stick and the statistics for my injury suggest that is about what I should expect.

That's why I'm such a strong advocate of doing absolutely everything physios and doctors say, and giving the injured body part at least the opportunity to adapt to what you want it to do - in my case cycling and rowing. Also, my experience tells me not to be discouraged by perceived lack of progress or function. Sounds like you are off to a good start on that front.

By the way that photo of your injury was pretty difficult to see and its good that you are back up and running so soon.

Sounds like your break was worse than mine although the docs I saw kept referring to it as a "bad break", my radius was snapped and needed pulling back into place (or reducing), I had a doc and a medical student pulling on either end of my forearm trying to get it back into alignment...

Anyway, thank god for private healthcare, the NHS was brilliant at picking me up in the ambulance, the ambulance staff were lovely to me and the consultant I saw for the follow ups seemed pretty good but after they took the cast off and I had the final consultation the guy just said, that's it, as far as we're concerned you're healed.... I was just looking down at my withered, flabby, swollen looking forearm thinking, really??! He gave me a quick couple of exercises to do and then sent me on my way. He told me to come back in 2 weeks and he may refer me for physio, although the NHS is very stretched so I might not get it.

Luckily the new firm I've joined has a great private medical thing which means I can get treatment for pre existing conditions. Just had a call from the in house physio to talk me through various physio stretches and exercises and she has booked me in for 3 appointments at some fancy physio place on Regents Street... I asked her about cycling and it seems you were right, she said cycling is actually pretty good as it helps rebuild bone density, the low level vibrations will make things ache but ultimately it should help... She told me to take it easy though, so better not do any 100+ milers for a while... Happy days though - I ride again!
  • wandsworth
    wandsworth Posts: 354
    Veronese68 wrote:

Talking about the Thames, I've seen a guy paddling a kayak along by Chelsea Harbour, and have also seen him carrying it across the road somewhere near Embankment tube. So it is possible.

Back to panniers ... I often see people with a pannier on just one side of the bike. Doesn't that unbalance the bike dangerously? Even if not it's dangerous, isn't it a pain and a distraction to have to constantly compensate for the imbalance?
    Shut up, knees!

Various Boardmans, a Focus, a Cannondale and an ancient Trek.
  • Headhuunter
    wandsworth wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:

Talking about the Thames, I've seen a guy paddling a kayak along by Chelsea Harbour, and have also seen him carrying it across the road somewhere near Embankment tube. So it is possible.

Back to panniers ... I often see people with a pannier on just one side of the bike. Doesn't that unbalance the bike dangerously? Even if not it's dangerous, isn't it a pain and a distraction to have to constantly compensate for the imbalance?

That's what I would've thought, I always try to balance what I'm carrying evenly between the 2 panniers....
  • I usually just use the one pannier commuting. I find with the weight fairly low down and not that heavy it's not noticeable.
    If carrying more weight - i.e. shopping, then I will use two.
  • First.Aspect
    HH - interesting that you didn't get physio. It must be an example of postcode lottery.

I was seen on the nhs before I could walk again and it was very good indeed. My physiotherapist was an ex gymnast and triple jumper who understood that I was willing to push myself. I think it was a bit alarming for other patients sometimes though!! Overall my NHS experience has been very good, with the exception of the nursing, which was downright sociopathic at times. I nearly had to stay in the other night and had a PTSD response at the thought of being at the mercy of those people again. Sorry to any nurses out there, but the profession really is in crisis.

I had two reductions, 10 days apart, to allow the swelling to go down. It was one of those injuries that lets you know what "10" feels like on the "how much does it hurt" scale. But to my mind, if they have to go in and reassemble you even once, thats pretty nasty and there will be a lot of soft tissue damage to cope with.

Good luck with the recovery!
  • Headhuunter
    HH - interesting that you didn't get physio. It must be an example of postcode lottery.

I was seen on the nhs before I could walk again and it was very good indeed. My physiotherapist was an ex gymnast and triple jumper who understood that I was willing to push myself. I think it was a bit alarming for other patients sometimes though!! Overall my NHS experience has been very good, with the exception of the nursing, which was downright sociopathic at times. I nearly had to stay in the other night and had a PTSD response at the thought of being at the mercy of those people again. Sorry to any nurses out there, but the profession really is in crisis.

I had two reductions, 10 days apart, to allow the swelling to go down. It was one of those injuries that lets you know what "10" feels like on the "how much does it hurt" scale. But to my mind, if they have to go in and reassemble you even once, thats pretty nasty and there will be a lot of soft tissue damage to cope with.

Good luck with the recovery!
    It sounds like your break was definitely worse, when they reduced my arm I was well away with the fairies in gas, morphineand local anaesthetic, I couldn't feel a thing. they may have given me physio if the flexibility hadn't returned but he didn't seem to think it was that urgent... My wrist is still looking swollen and the ulna bone seems to have displaced a bit to
  • First.Aspect
    Hope your ulnar bone isn't displaced as a result of your commute! Could you be looking at thickening of the bone, or scarring due to the injury?

To my mind, physio is urgent if it will do more good now than later, which is certainly the case for you.
  • Headhuunter
    Hope your ulnar bone isn't displaced as a result of your commute! Could you be looking at thickening of the bone, or scarring due to the injury?

To my mind, physio is urgent if it will do more good now than later, which is certainly the case for you.
    Yeah it might be scarring that's pushed it out, there's also a lump underneath... Need to get the physio to look at it
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    wandsworth wrote:
    Veronese68 wrote:

Most of the time I only use a right hand pannier. I do sometimes use a backpack instead, and very rarely use both panniers. The backpack makes the bike feel more lively, but the pannier makes my back feel less sweaty, and indeed more comfortable. I don't really notice the balance - although I thought I would at the time. I do notice carrying 8-pints of milk and a couple of bags of flour on one side only though (this is only for a very short cycle back from the shops, so about a mile, and I wouldn't want to do that for much longer).