Pat McQuaid - Nothing to See Here

sadlybiggins
sadlybiggins Posts: 158
edited April 2013 in Pro race
Apologies if this has already been posted but can't see it anywhere. Good old Pat has decided there's nothing to see so we should all move along:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/mcquaid ... ct-cycling

Comments

• danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    I'm sure that all the former riders a Rabo agree with him that its had no effect.

McQuiad + Talking = BS
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    I'm sure that all the former riders a Rabo agree with him that its had no effect.

McQuiad + Talking = BS

It's nice that rabo got to blame the end of their sponsorship on Lance, rather than the doping inside their own team.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    If Prat McQuaid says "products that were used 15 years ago were undetectable", why didn't he step back from the Lance/USADA affair saying "well, he could be guilty cos the products were undetectable".

Of course its had an affect on cycling too, measuring it is impossible, but if nothing else cycling has had very bad press on account of maybe the biggest name in the sport media-wise in history, the household name, being publicly outed as a whopping great cheat.

Anyway, all this is obvious. McQuaid is ridiculous. I wonder when he will get the message from all the boo-ing he gets, I look forward to hearing more booing and seeing his glowing embarrassed face.
  • danlikesbikes
    Jez mon wrote:

McQuiad + Talking = BS

It's nice that rabo got to blame the end of their sponsorship on Lance, rather than the doping inside their own team.

Well yeah thats a different point but very true.

TBH I can think of a lot of people that have been hurt by the whole l........ (sorry can't bring myself to say the name) larry affair. But for McQuiad to say that its had no effect, I have no idea what he's on about, then again I never knew what he was on about in the first place doing that interview.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    Jez mon wrote:

McQuiad + Talking = BS

Well yeah thats a different point but very true.

TBH I can think of a lot of people that have been hurt by the whole l........ (sorry can't bring myself to say the name) larry affair. But for McQuiad to say that its had no effect, I have no idea what he's on about, then again I never knew what he was on about in the first place doing that interview.

IF the quote about cycling not being hurt is accurate, he's even more of an eejit than I thought
  • danlikesbikes
    It is worth pointing out it is a big IF as the interview was translated. But does seem to be a...... oh that well yeah that happened but its in the past lets look forward & no worry about it nothing really big happened and no one was hurt ..... kind of statement.
  • yourpaceormine
    yourpaceormine Posts: 1,245
    Cycling Ireland meeting today to discuss whether they nominate Pat for re-election
    Sticky Bottle: http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news ... on-friday/
    Since Sticky Bottle posted this and tweeted a link to the article, Kimmage has been trading handbag blows with Sticky in the Twittersphere. Have to say Kimmage doesn't do himself any favours
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    If I ran a pro cycling team I wouldn't let Paul Kimmage within a mile of it, no matter how clean my team was.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • danlikesbikes
    If I ran a pro cycling team I wouldn't let Paul Kimmage within a mile of it, no matter how clean my team was.

Tough one really as you'd expect such an anti doping stalwart to want to support a clean team & I don't follow him on Twitter but have just looked through some of his tweets now. Whilst I agree with some of what he is saying you just never know exactly what he is going to do/say next and he does come across as.... well I don't know the word but extremist comes to mind.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400

Tough one really as you'd expect such an anti doping stalwart to want to support a clean team & I don't follow him on Twitter but have just looked through some of his tweets now. Whilst I agree with some of what he is saying you just never know exactly what he is going to do/say next and he does come across as.... well I don't know the word but extremist comes to mind.

He's a loose cannon. Better to have him taking pot shots from a distance than have him going off in your lap.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • chrisday
    chrisday Posts: 300
    He's a loose cannon. Better to have him taking pot shots from a distance than have him going off in your lap.

Chapeau! Simultaneously both a beautiful turn of phrase and a revolting mental image... :shock:
    @shraap | My Men 2016: G, Yogi, Cav, Boonen, Degenkolb, Martin, J-Rod, Kudus, Chaves
  • danlikesbikes

Loose cannon is a much better description. Like I said I don't follow him on twitter & know he has a bit of a reputation, have read some of his published work though.

Still going to stick by what I said not sure if he would be a good or bad thing to have him come to team if it were 100% clean. Reason I say that is I recall reading a few pieces on other reporters that cyclists don't like to deal with as they feel under pressure & that they might be misquoted etc.

Generally I agree that its not a bad thing to have reporters with the teams but like you said if you never know what he is going to say it could blow up in your face so to speak.
  • Richmond Racer
    chrisday wrote:

Chapeau! Simultaneously both a beautiful turn of phrase and a revolting mental image... :shock:

I seriously feel unwell at that image :shock:
  • Richmond Racer
    Right up there in the pantheon of great tweets:

Sticky Bottle ‏@sticky_bottle 55m
    @PaulKimmage If we're spineless, please stop ur PR man mailing us looking for a mention for ur next public interview to help u sell tickets.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Bitchslapped
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Paul Kimmage ‏@PaulKimmage 2h
    @sticky_bottle A player? I've been fighting the same fight against the same people (the Uci) since 1990. Where were you then?

Sticky Bottle Sticky Bottle ‏@sticky_bottle 48m
    @PaulKimmage I was 14 and getting my ass kicked by Ken Tobin in the U16 races in the Phoenix Park. That OK with you Journalism Jesus?
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • Richmond Racer
    *refills the popcorn bowl*
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    edited April 2013
    Kimmage is such a bellend. He's a self pardoy these days.

Kimmage's Rules of Journalism:

1. Manners cost nothing - except your credibility as a journalist. Rudeness = intergrity.
    2. The louder a question is asked the more pertinent it is.
    3. The quality of your journalism will be measured solely by the number of your enemies and lawsuits.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Classic stuff there.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    Pat Mcquaid is a scumbag and as long as he remains president of the UCI, it too can have no integrity.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • danlikesbikes
    He certainly does seem to be hated by lots of people so makes you wonder if his own home federation are going to back him
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,583
    Quick question... Does anyone know what did happen to the Paul Kimmage defence fund? I donated to it and would like to know how it is now being spent.

If no-one here knows I'll ask David Walsh next week at his Glasgow book* event.

* btw cracking read.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Alan A wrote:
    Quick question... Does anyone know what did happen to the Paul Kimmage defence fund? I donated to it and would like to know how it is now being spent.

Dunno. Hein and Pat dropped their suit, so nothing to defend. Then PK tried to open a case against the Pat and Hein but I'm not sure the legal system in Switzerland are having any of it
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • alan_a
    alan_a Posts: 1,583
    Thank you.

That's what I thought. Twitter comments by sticky bottle lead me to think he had been doing other stuff.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    Cycling Ireland are currently seeking nominations for an inaugural Hall of Fame.

Kimmage will be good value if McQuaid is inducted.

:evil:
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • danlikesbikes
    Cycling Ireland are currently seeking nominations for an inaugural Hall of Fame.

Think I am going to have to start following him on Twitter just for the entertainment value. After reading his comments with sticky bottle looks like quite an outspoken person.
  • Richmond Racer

What's the feeling, TWH? Are the CI board going to agree to support his nomination today?
  • argyllflyer
    argyllflyer Posts: 893
    Unfortunately Paul Kimmage is a self parody. I know Wiggins got a tonne of stick for his response to the Armstrong interview by stating that some people wouldn't know what to do with themselves...
    There are a lot of people that are eaten up by it [the Armstrong scandal] and very bitter over the whole situation. I think of us as a team it’s sort of the last thing that we’re worried about because we’re so concentrated on what we’re doing this year. But you’ve seen the reaction to it over the last few months and there’s angry people about that are taking their frustrations and venting their anger in all different directions. I mean we saw last week with Paul Kimmage with me and the team he’s just eaten up with it, and I think to people like that it’s going to mean a hell of a lot. What they do with their lives after he does admit it is anyone’s guess. I think a lot of people want that, they need that closure in their life really because they’ve been battling for so long for this. It will be a great day for a lot of people and quite a sad day for the sport in some ways.

but this was a week or so after Kimmage practically accused Sky of doping.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/kimmage ... nd-wiggins

The guy is a broken record and like many members of a certain other forum, seems to be heading for a lost decade where there will be no joy to be found in this sport. No matter what anyone does in cycling now, there will be some that will have no faith in any winner whatsoever. I make no comment on whether Sky are or are not. There is no hard evidence. There is no rumour. There is a fair bit of circumstantial (Leinders was a doping doctor at Rabo) or potentially coincidental (Hayman claims to have rode throughout his career clean) evidence.
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138

. Whilst I agree with some of what he is saying you just never know exactly what he is going to do/say next and he does come across as.... well I don't know the word but extremist comes to mind.
    The word is probably "Self Interest"
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    OK world champs in Florence, any one fancy turning it into a tomato fest for McQuaid? I can't get a note from my mum to go.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.