Slaying the badger

Frank the tank
Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
edited March 2013 in The cake stop
I'm about a third of the way through this book and it's a good read IMO. However, the book I read immediately prior was "Breaking the chain" and the contents of that just taint what I'm currently reading. Regardless of what Hinault says I can't help but think he was probably on the gear.

Like many on here I'm aware of the culture that existed in cycling for years but when you read accounts from someone like Willy Voets it's just so demoralising.

I don't intend this thread to be one about doping but I just wondered how many have read a book and it's contents have made them question the contents of another.
Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.

Comments

• VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    I really thought that this post was going somewhere else :)
    I had an incident with a badger a while back, didnt work out well for me.
    Living MY dream.
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    VTech wrote:
    I really thought that this post was going somewhere else :)
    I had an incident with a badger a while back, didnt work out well for me.

Ask the mods/OP to change the title to slayed by a badger should work better for you :D
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Yeah, god forbid its a discussion about cycling
  • danlikesbikes

I don't intend this thread to be one about doping but I just wondered how many have read a book and it's contents have made them question the contents of another.

There are quite a few cycling books that I have read that should almost come with a rating like a coffee strength or better still a PH scale.

Problem I find is I get a few for christmas & birthdays etc as my family know I'm into my cycling so have quite a collection. Now with all that has happened in the last 6 months I think i might have to re-read a whole host of them just knowing now that the author was either lying about dropping or quite right in outing others for doping.

Think the most frank and honest books are David Millars & Graham Obrees which I have read a couple of times.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    Not read graham Obree's book (Been to an evening with) him though. Millars book was a good read and I think it was the first book that made myself question my attitude towards dopers and the punishment for the crime. There are some bloomin' good books out there though.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • danlikesbikes
    The Obree book was an eye opener for me - I was just old enough to remember his battles with Boardman but not much else about him then went away from road riding for a while & only back in the last few years.

I was given the book at the same time as in search of robert millar which give a mention of each other.

Won't give it away if you have not read it but it is worth reading.
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    Really enjoyed the 'badger book and the Dog in a hat one.
    Just take it for what it is - most of these books are going to be spiced up, to some degree or another.

Much like the riders who wrote them!
  • couldnt put the secret race down. great thorougly interesting book.

likewise the rider. took a bit of getting into, but i think thats due to the translation, but a really pschological book, that really does leave you feeling you are in the race yourself.

trying to get through tomorrow we ride, which i got for christmas, but keep getting distracted. first chapter pretty boring, but next 2 had me drawn in before my distractions!
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Have you read Fignons book, it seems a world away from the darker side.