Rear rotor vibration

echowitch
echowitch Posts: 196
edited March 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
I've had an Aztek 180mm rotor fitted to my rear wheel and I am trying to bed it in. I find it vibrates when I brake, and under hard breaking it definitely bites but I get a vibration just before lock up that sends the vibration all the way up the frame in to the seat.

Is this something to be concerned about or should it just sort itself out whilst bedding in ? It seemed to lessen during later hard braking today but did not completely go away.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Is the rotor true?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • echowitch
    As far as I can tell. I couldn't see any wobble in it or side to side movement but I am going to get the LBS that fitted it to check tonight.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    you did clean the rotor before AND after fitting to remove any grease and oil.

and does the disc have big holes in it?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • echowitch
    The LBS guys did ensure it was clean yes.

I will get a picture of the rotor at lunch and post it up for you guys to see.
  • nicklouse
    ok is it a vibration or a pulsing feel?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • echowitch
    Feel's like a vibrator up my backside when the power is applied.
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    If I was going to design a rotor that vibrated, I'd probably make it look a lot like that.

Personally, I would find another, one with more metal and less holes.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    echowitch wrote:
    Clearly an expert on the topic....

Check to make sure the pads aren't overhanging the inside or outside too much....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nicklouse
    echowitch wrote:
    put your old disc back on.

do the vibrations stop?
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,170
    that type of rotor - holes with straight side in line radially - tend to give rise to vibrations as the pads grip metal-air alternativley; even worse on the front due to play in the forks.

if you are looking for light disc, take a look at the promax; these have angled sides so should be better (they may not boe ofcourse!)

£ 10 @ 96 g

$(KGrHqR,!igE4u3t81E!BOYK+yNqTw~~60_35.JPG
  • echowitch
    Thanks all :)

Unfortunately I don't have the old ones (rubbish Clarks rotor) to test with. I am intending on replacing the Aztec in two weeks with a Shimano XT or XTR as the XTR I have on the front is silent and vibration free. The Aztec was a cheap stop gap measure until payday.

It does work but the vibration is annoying and distracting.
  • echowitch
    I rode in to work today in the rain and despite squeaky wet brakes I did notice that the rear rotor was not giving me the vibration it did the other day. There was a barely noticeable vibration but that was it. Nothing like last week where I felt like I was being violated :lol:
  • echowitch
    I rode in to work today in the rain and despite squeaky wet brakes I did notice that the rear rotor was not giving me the vibration it did the other day. There was a barely noticeable vibration but that was it. Nothing like last week where I felt like I was being violated :lol:
  • echowitch
    No rain today so I noticed the vibration is still there :( I will get another rotor to swap in and see if the problem is the rotor.
  • echowitch
    Problem solved. I've replaced the Aztec with a Shimano XT 180mm today and no more vibration :)