Gear cables...

DanDax1990
DanDax1990 Posts: 1,201
edited March 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Is it worth running full outers?

Or if the bike isn't designed for it, Is it better not to?

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    1/ Advantages - less chance crud gets in causing friction
    2/ Disadvantages - More friction from the start, less definative shifting (Outers compress more than frames), drilling out or messy mounts to accomodate them, heavier, cost more.

Personally I'd not do it, just have good quality cables with quality (sealing) end caps and maintain.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Can anyone recommend a decent set of cables, mine are in need of replacing
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Shimano SP41 routers. Stainless steel inners.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Have got bog-basic full outers on a couple of bikes with SRAM X7/X9 setups and on one of them I've not adjusted the gears in over three years. The other one is just over a year old but hasn't needed adjusting since day one.

Compare this with the interrupted XT/SP41 setup on another bike which definitely shifts better but needs more attention to keep it that way like a fettle every few rides or so. Also more susceptible to mid-ride hiccups if conditions are bad whereas the full outer bikes just keep on shifting.

I think if you like things to be as good as they can be and don't mind fettling then SP41 + stainless is a great combo but if you CBA and ride in all weathers then full outers are the way to go.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You can get SP41 in any length off the roll from CRC and bike shops anyway.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    i've not got around to doing mine yet but planning on replacing stock cables with the ptfe coated stainless steel shimano cables.
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,170
    I had set of shimano cables on my commuter mtb and despite riding through mud (cables were cleaned and oiled), it shifted fine - the outers lasted 18 years (I assume they were the original ones fitted to the bike); only problem I had with the shifting was wehn the big sring in the rear mech lost its springiness.