Am I aiming too high?

adz999
adz999 Posts: 19
edited March 2013 in Road beginners
I ride a 15 mile route to work (and obviously 15 back), and when free time allows I throw in the odd 25 miler, my next goal is a nice 47 mile route I've planned, anyone with a bit more experience think this is too much of a jump, or is it a realistic target?
adz

Comments

• ooermissus
    ooermissus Posts: 811
    Yes it's quite realistic - anyone who can ride 150 miles a week can ride 50 miles in a single session - provided it's not insanely hilly, you don't set out too fast, and you are well fed, hydrated, not too hung over etc.
  • vortice
    vortice Posts: 244
    It depends on how you feel after your current rides. Could you for instance do the 25 mile ride you have recently done and then straight away ride the 15 miles to work? if the answer to that is yes, well that's 40 miles, only 7 short of your planned route!
  • marylogic
    marylogic Posts: 355
    Go for it and have fun!

As above make sure you eat during the cycle and make sure you pace yourself. You should manage fine - let us know how you get on.
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Sounds doable to me. As long as the route is on similar terrain you currently ride you should be fine.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    +1

Go for it. Pace yourself well and you should be fine.
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Shoot for the moon dude, only person holding you back is yourself. Do as much as you feel comfortable doing before you get too knackered and then build on it.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    adz999 wrote:
    I ride a 15 mile route to work (and obviously 15 back), and when free time allows I throw in the odd 25 miler, my next goal is a nice 47 mile route I've planned, anyone with a bit more experience think this is too much of a jump, or is it a realistic target?
    If you're doing 30 miles a day, 5 days a week then you're capable of a 47 mile route - just prob not on a friday afternoon! Just take it steady the first time and you'll be fine :)
  • adz999
    Thanks guys and gals, I always plan fairly flat routes as I live at the top of a 500ft climb (just whats needed to finish a ride after a 12hour nightshift!), think i'll grab a friend as soon as we have something approaching sunshine and give it a bash.
    adz
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    A rule of thumb that I recall as a runner is that you should be able to to run three times your average daily mileage. I would think that similar applies. Your body should be well able to cope no problems and to enjoy the experience
  • Phil_D
    Phil_D Posts: 467
    When I first started out a couple of years back my first ride was 35 miles. I managed it and all I had at the end was an extremely sore backside. You'll have no trouble if you are used to sitting on a bike.
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    Definitely doable. My commute is 33m there and back so similar to you and I have no problem with 100km reliability rides(non stop sportives) Even the odd 100miler in the summer can be done with a minimum of extra training. I'll often commute in the 17 miles to where my club meet on a sunday and then do 50miles with them. The important thing is fuelling and attitude. People often think long distance riding is a difficult thing but if you ride regular and hard then long distances can be achieved without too much fuss.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,516
    It all depends how determined you are?

A mate asked me if I wanted to phone home as there were 10 miles left, I was on my chinstrap in a strong headwind. He's one of oldest friends. He knew the answer but he was just winding me up. I gave him a look to say " why coz its hurting"? It's was a hard ride back but I did it. If I had capitulated it would have annoyed me beyond measure and been a reoccuring sense of frustration.

Do it as you need to stretch your comfort zones
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • You're aiming too low. At the end of your 47 miles you'll curse for not adding the extra three! Plan it like that from the start, make it a circular route so you do have an option of shortening it, and make sure you have some food and drink. It's not a race so use a pace you are happy with, then next time that will be the benchmark to beat. You'll love it.
    Some people are like slinkies - not much use for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

http://knownothingbozoandhisbike.blogspot.com/
  • adz999
    Did a cheeky 40 yesterday, which was fine apart from a seriously underestimated climb at about halfway which had be walking for 100m, the 50 is going ahead, once my friends new bike arrives, and the temperature hits double figures.
    adz
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    adz999 wrote:
    and the temperature hits double figures.
    It did - it was -1.7°c this morning ... see - thats two figures ... ;)