Suggestions to reincarnate a BB shell

Kieran_Burns
Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
edited April 2013 in Commuting chat
My mate has managed to strip the thread from the BB shell (and also killed the crank at the same time) so is basically off the road at the moment.

We need some cost effective solutions to getting him and his bike back on the road - we're considering a new / second hand frame (CX) / new bike through CTW / or heli-coiling the shell.

Is the last option actually possible? It's a 2010 model Tricross Sport so I'm not sure it is worth it, but to be honest not entirely sure how much it will cost anyway....

Suggestions / inspiration / commiserations all welcome.
Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
2011 Trek Madone 4.5
2012 Felt F65X
Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter

Comments

• Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    edited March 2013
    There's this tool for £404.99:
    damn image didn't work
    maybe see if your LBS can do it, be cheaper than the tools and they'll know what they're doing.

If it's just cross threaded you can clean it up with an old BB shell

If it's really bad and you cant re thread it a new frame may be more economical unless your LBS can stretch the hole to the next size up.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • freezing77
    freezing77 Posts: 731
    What about a threadless bottom bracket?
    For example

4244073258_bc1c1a869a.jpg
  • Kieran_Burns
    Threadless BB? My god what will they think of next! :D

(it's completely smooth btw - the BB itself just moves in and out with no resistance.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • Harry182
    Harry182 Posts: 1,170
    IIRC you can also retap the bb shell for an Italian bb.
  • Big_Paul
    Big_Paul Posts: 277
    freezing77 wrote:

One of these brought my Rockrider back from the dead and I have another in my Raleigh Fixie, you really need 2 crank tools to put them in and make sure there's threadlock on the threads or it'll come loose in a couple of weeks. Seem a good job.
    Disc Trucker
    Kona Ute
    Rockrider 8.1
    Evil Resident
    Day 01 Disc
    Viking Derwent Tandem
    Planet X London Road
  • Kieran_Burns
    Wow.

That's just genius :D
    Fits to frames with damaged threads, the bottom bracket screws together ignoring the threads and clamping the frame. The frame requires no preparation other than the removal of paint on the flat faces of the frame.
    You should also regularly check and tighten the cups.
    The bracket is best fitted with 2 x UN74-S style bottom bracket tools and two people.

Got them, and threadlock.

Thanks all!
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,766
    I'd try and salvage the thread with a tap first so you can fit a standard BB. Decent bike shop with a mechanic who knows his tool is what you need. If it's too far gone then go for that clamp together BB.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    A framebuilder should be able to ream and sleeve it.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • or if the bb has a lip on the inside, what about the press in type that scott and that use?
    Sorry its not me it's the bike ;o)

Strava Dude link http://www.strava.com/athletes/amander
    Commuting, Domestic & Pleasure : Specialized Sectuer Sport Disc

Please Sponsor http://www.justgiving.com/alister-manderfield1
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Just get it sleeved, simplest solution and far better than a threadless bb.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Kieran_Burns
    Just to complete this story - finally fitted the threadless BB to my mates bike last night and it seems to work a charm. Put threadlock on the BB itself and tightened it as much as possible.

No movement in the frame at all and it's a pretty damn good BB: very free spinning and smooth. New crank on the bike as well, so my mate was able to get his own bike back on the road and is a very happy chap.

Oh, when I removed the BB cup from the non-drive side we found the thread had gone on that side as well. Normally you can spin the shell out once loose, but this basically (appeared to) cross-thread as soon as it started moving.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X