Forum home Family & kids cycling forum

Which islabike

scrumpymonkeyscrumpymonkey Posts: 49
My son is 4 & has been riding his cnoc 14 since his third birthday. He is starting to look a little big for the bike now & we were thinking about buying the cnoc 16 but when I was looking through the sizing specs, I realised he is almost big enough for the beinn 20. Should I wait until he fits that bike or should I just get the cnoc 16? I'm concerned that he may struggle with the gears if we get him the beinn. Any thoughts or experiences would be appreciated.


  • UnderscoreUnderscore Posts: 730
    Our eldest went from the Cnoc 14 straight to the Beinn 20 small without a problem on his fifth birthday and we're hoping that our middle son will follow suit later in the spring. The gears take a while to get used to but it wasn't a big deal, TBH.

  • johnboy183johnboy183 Posts: 832
    As above. We went the same route and he managed superbly well. Bike was slightly but he could start and stop with no issues.
  • mpattsmpatts Posts: 1,010
    Amy went from a CNOC 14 straight to a the Beinn 20 with the small frame geo. My advice is to give them a call - I was going to go for a 16, but the 20 was perfect, and Amy is pretty small for her age.
    Insert bike here:
  • Thanks for the replies everyone. Been in touch with Islabikes this week and they have advised me to wait until he is big enough for the Beinn. They have also given me some tips on how to adjust the Cnoc to fit him, very nice people indeed :D
  • AnonymousAnonymous Posts: 79,667
    Islabikes are not going to advise you to put your son on a bike that is a little too big for him are they.
    Its great that they did not try to get you to waste money on the 16" but I would say you could still go with the advice all 3 of the people you asked on here have given.
    As you have ruled out the 16" you can get a bigger bike at any time and see for yourself how it fits.

    Loads of people and even LBS shove kids onto bikes that are too big for them, and I am certainly not suggesting you do this, but equally I would not wait until the exact point that Islabikes say it is OK.
    I am guessing he is not riding it on a B road, so whats the harm in getting it now?
Sign In or Register to comment.