Shimano RS80 better than stock wheels on Defy Advanced 2

friedpizzainbatter
friedpizzainbatter Posts: 166
edited March 2013 in Road beginners
I'm thinking of splurging on a Giant Defy Advanced 2, I have a set of Shimano RS80s on my Allez (which I'll sell), question is do I replace the stock wheels on the Defy for the RS80s and sell the Giant wheels or keep the Giant wheels and sell the RS80s?
Trek Domane 4.3. Merida One.forty 7.700. Merida CX 3. Voodoo Bizango
"When the vulture flies sideways the moon has hair on his upper lip"

Comments

• smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Keep everything. You will only regret it later.

You NEED both bikes. :-)
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • freebs
    freebs Posts: 199
    The first one!
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    From Allez to Defy - from a racier geometry to more relaxed geometry? Have you made your choice based on this or were you influenced by the cycling plus bike of the year test? With regards to the wheelset the RS80 would probably retail at a much higher price - whatever that might mean!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Are you selling the Allez 1st?

Get both, ride both. Keep whichever you like most.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,086
    winter / summer bike - sorted
  • licko
    licko Posts: 72
    I've just done exacly the same - 2012 defy 2 on it's way to me. The Giant wheels are claimed at 1775g and the RS80's should be under 1600g (mine are 1650g on my scales) so there's 150ish gram saving on the RS80's - so the RS80's will be going on the Giant. The giant wheels can be picked up for £200 retail so probs only £120-£150 on ebay so I'll probably keep them as spares.
  • smidsy wrote:
    Keep everything. You will only regret it later.

You NEED both bikes. :-)

Yes that's true, I may regret it, but I'd definitely be made to regret it more if I kept everything. :lol:
    letap73 wrote:
    From Allez to Defy - from a racier geometry to more relaxed geometry? Have you made your choice based on this or were you influenced by the cycling plus bike of the year test? With regards to the wheelset the RS80 would probably retail at a much higher price - whatever that might mean!

The bike of the year did bear some influence. I was thinking Roubaix before I read it, I'm now thinking Roubaix or Domane or Defy, I'm going to try them out before buying anything. Definitely leaning towards the Defy though as it seems to be the best of both worlds. I find the Allez a little harsh, it's great for sub 1 hr rides, but after an hour things start to get uncomfortable, this has not got any better with age. Aiming to get much more miles in so I was looking for something suitable. Part of it will be a 30-60 mile a day (2-3 days a week) commute so it's got to stand up to that as well. Our bike to work scheme is quite good so I'm going to get it with that.
    Licko wrote:
    I've just done exacly the same - 2012 defy 2 on it's way to me. The Giant wheels are claimed at 1775g and the RS80's should be under 1600g (mine are 1650g on my scales) so there's 150ish gram saving on the RS80's - so the RS80's will be going on the Giant. The giant wheels can be picked up for £200 retail so probs only £120-£150 on ebay so I'll probably keep them as spares.

Thanks, that's good to know.... maybe it would be worth keeping spares.....
    Trek Domane 4.3. Merida One.forty 7.700. Merida CX 3. Voodoo Bizango
    "When the vulture flies sideways the moon has hair on his upper lip"
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Spare wheels are a huge bonus when you go to get your bike in the morning to find u have a flat. Swap wheels and away you go.... Even better is a second bike.
  • licko
    licko Posts: 72
    In case you're still deciding, I received my 2012 Defy Advanced 2 and the stock wheels/tyres were 200g heavier than my RS80/Ultremo ZX combo. The tyres have roughly the same claimed weight so I reckon most of the difference is in the wheels.

For reference the whole bike with the RS80's comes in at 7.3kg (no pedals/cages etc.) which I was pleasantly surprised by!