Cheltenham betting thread

the playing mantis
the playing mantis Posts: 2,129
edited March 2013 in The cake stop
Bit late for today i know, ive already made my lays today anyway, but anyone have any decent tips for the week ahead?

Comments

• Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    I put my house on it being Wednesday tomorra.

And have it doubled up with Saturday and Sunday falling at the weekend. :lol:
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930
    My tip:- The bookies won't be any poorer come the weekend.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,160
    Some Irish blokes will get p***ed.
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Some horse getting made into findus ready meal before the race meet is over
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,505
    No winners so far but money on Rock on Ruby in the big race along with thousands of others not doubt!
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    I put my house on it being Wednesday tomorra.

And have it doubled up with Saturday and Sunday falling at the weekend. :lol:

Surest tip ever :wink:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • STEFANOS4784
    STEFANOS4784 Posts: 4,109
    Menorah on Thursday's Ryanair chase, bet each way.
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    Town centre will be full of p***ed up punters. (Make mental note; keep away from town centre
    until the festival is over).
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930

Does the Ryanair Chase finish in the middle of nowhere, just like their flights?
  • STEFANOS4784
    Ballysmate wrote:

Does the Ryanair Chase finish in the middle of nowhere, just like their flights?

Good point. Care to elaborate?
  • Sprinter Sacre in the champion chase. get on at Evens with Corals, sadly for only £20.00 quid though, but you will double your money. will be the easiest money ever made.
  • well i hope everyone took up my suggestion and is 20 quid better off, not much of a tip, i know as it was obvious and was as much as a sure thing as you can have in horse racing, but still.

By the lack of enthusiasm for this thread seems like we dont have any compulsive gamblers on here unfortunately. well for any 1 interested (none i assume!) i had a good lucky day, making places in 5 of the days races, and ultimatley finishing a couple of hundred up on on mostly small stakes, although i lumped big time on on sprinter sacre but at 1/4 in store as i cant have a coral online account (i would lose all my money)

gold cup tomorrow i will post any tips i have here again.

now if only sporting index (bstards) wasnt playing up on my phone and not allowing me to sell zimbabwe runs when i tried to place a bet on there, i would be even more pleased with my days gambling!
  • at the risk of looking increasingly unhinged i will continure talkign to myself, but if anyone cares to listen, im liking bog warrior and peddlers cross in the world hurdle, worth an e/w or place bet depending on the odds you can get.

i cant see past first lieutnenant in the ryanair for a win

calgary bay i have backed out of sentimentality in the 4 o clock for a low cost ew. along with sweet my lord.

i wont share any of my others as i fully anticipate being cleaned out on them and wouldnt want anyone else to suffer the same fate! but i think th e above few may have a chance.
  • laurentian
    Well, myself, my brother and a mate do a Cheltenham "syndicate" every year. It's just about the only time I bet.

We put in a tenner at the start of the week and each choose a horse for each race. If we all agree on a horse in a particular race then obviously that bet goes on that one, if two from three of us have the same one then the bet goes on that horse and if we don't have any consensus, the "Chairman" makes a choice from one of the three.

This gives us the grand sum of £7.50 per day to bet split thusly:

one £1 treble
    one £1 e/way bet on a race in which we have no other bets
    and
    £4.50 on the "big race" each day

Didn't do much good on Tuesday but covered our weekly outlay with what we won yesterday so here's to a good couple of days to fill the coffers.

For the cost of £10 and the chance to win a lot (or at least some) more back, I get a weeks worth of fun - great value!

I'd love to go one day.

For those looking for a completely baseless recommendation, here's or bets for today:

Treble
    13.30 Captain Conan, 14.40 First Lieutenant, 17.15 Bostons Angel

£1 e/w
    14.05 Close House

The BIG bet
    15.20 £4.50 Reve de Sivola
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • STEFANOS4784

Well that was 40 quid down the drain, bloody gambling, knew I shouldn't have listened.....
  • yesterdya was a wipe out. after the gold cup im off backing nags till the GN!
  • laurentian
    Won on the Gold Cup!!
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    My tip is that about 6 horses a year die at Cheltenham apparently.

Not saying that cos im some sort of animal rights lefty, just thought it was interesting, might not be true, read it in the paper last week.

Instead of betting, why not chuck it in a Comic Relief bucket this weekend, it might save someone's life.
  • laurentian
    Or do both . . .
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • or maybe if those celebrities promoting comic releif and flying out to africa, a, dipped into their own pockets a bit more, and b, saved the airfare of going out to africa or whatever and contributed that too, then maybe they wouldnt have to drive the public on so much to donate.

now dont get em wrong im all for charity, as ive defended charity against some leftist BS i another thread, BUT i find it somewhat galling all these rich celebrities extolling joe public to donate, when if the celebs in question dipped into their very deep pockets they could raise the same sort of cash figures in an isntant. and they would be less impacted by having to donate than joe public. i severly doubt that they donate the same proportion of their wealth to charity as the 'normal' charity contributor, such as myself.