Think I have been had...

jgsi
jgsi Posts: 5,062
edited March 2013 in The cake stop
on Ebay and Paypal... I just cant make it out.
Sold some pedals.. sent 'em off, Royal Mail... 10 days back.
Just had an Ebay resolution centre action taken out on me.. items not received..
yeah.. like that happens ( it can , I knows)
oh well... I cant find my proof of postage slip, so have just coughed up refund to Paypal.
Hope you like your free pedals matey boy Member ID dontcrywolf66 from Leicester.
You could have emailed first or all if was a problem, but no you just call in the feds without a moments thought.
And bye bye Ebay.. wont be using them anymore after 10 years

Comments

• ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930
    Hope you like your free pedals matey boy Member ID dontcrywolf66 from Leicester.

Ta
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    Paypal chargebacks are the new scams people are using if people don't send items tracked. Can you claim back from the post office?
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    Paypal chargebacks are the new scams people are using if people don't send items tracked. Can you claim back from the post office?

Can but looks like you need to prove it was posted with Royal Mail http://www.royalmail.com/personal/help- ... land-items however does not specifically state that you need a proof of postage stamp, not sure if you could use CCTV from the post office?
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • drays
    drays Posts: 119
    I've just issued a paypal refund to a buyer. I sold a wooden childs toy a few weeks ago second class... the buyer claims he hasn't received it. There's naff all I can do.
    2014 Planet X Pro Carbon
    2012 Boardman Hybrid Comp
    2010 Boardman Pro Hardtail
    c1994 Raleigh Outland MTB
  • jgsi
    Going thru any sort of arbitration for the sake of a few tenners just aint worth my time - even though it does go against the grain. I only just binned the flippin Royal mail receipt yesterday and all..
    I am calling scam because, I would personally contact the buyer in first instance if anything I bought did not arrive - he has not done so although his claimback says he has.
  • danlikesbikes
    See my link above Re royal mail claims process - have used them myself and can be worth taking the time to go through the process
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • danlikesbikes
    JGSI wrote:
    Going thru any sort of arbitration for the sake of a few tenners just aint worth my time - even though it does go against the grain. I only just binned the flippin Royal mail receipt yesterday and all..
    I am calling scam because, I would personally contact the buyer in first instance if anything I bought did not arrive - he has not done so although his claimback says he has.

Fair point does sound a bit off to not contact the seller first
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,930
    JGSI wrote:

As you say, the natural thing to do would be to contact the seller and ask the whereabouts of the goods as they had not been received.
    I must confess that was unaware how easy it is to be caught out on Ebay until reading posts on here this week.
    Good on you for posting so that we can all be more aware.
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    eBay scams are like credit card fraud but without the risk, if you can't send it recorded dont sell it as you will get hit time and time again.
    Living MY dream.
  • jgsi
    Like Strava, Ebay has tested my patience just once too many times, so it becomes no worth for the hassle of it all.
    Looks like I'll have to sell stuff to you lot of cheekie monkeys in For Sale section in future.
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    contact the local postie if you think you have been really done over for anything expensive...

Bet he or she will remember just fine!! They may even have left a "missed you note".

Obviously this isn't an option for small value stuff - live and learn - but I'd not take a mugging lying down and you could send them a pm via ebay warning them you are checking the local postman and it is CRIMINAL to dishonestly claim a refund (fraud offence).
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    I ordered bibs off ebay the other week - took ages to with no contact from the seller - I emailed and said I'd like a refund, they replied theyd had a few cases liek this and give it a few days as post their end might be slow - sure enough they arrived - point being the obvious thing is to contact the seller - so the fact he didnt seems a bit odd...leave a comment for others, at least let some good come from it.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Quite an ironic username he has if he is scamming you...
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • thefd
    thefd Posts: 1,021
    JGSI wrote:
    Like Strava, Ebay has tested my patience
    What has Strava done to test your patience?
    2017 - Caadx
    2016 - Cervelo R3
    2013 - R872
    2010 - Spesh Tarmac
  • mallorcajeff
    mallorcajeff Posts: 1,489
    Happened to me too a month ago. Sold a jumper. For 78£ said did not receive it and ended up refunding him. Tried to claim from post office max was 47£ i think, so complicated gsve up on it as mum was having to do the running round for me. Given up on ebay too. The fees now are a joke. Its a shame but i had a huge box of cycling bits i was going to sell cages clothing snd odd bits and pieces all would have gone for some money on ebay, but the hassle. Not worth it so i binned it all only to find a morrocan pulling it all out of the bin half hour later snd stuck half the stuff on his bike.

Im going to be back in thr ukand want to sell some planet x 82 carbon tubs but really cant be arsed eith the ebay thing. Also there is a set of ffwd wheels on ebay at the moment in tadcaster. Dont buy them, i boguht the, two weeks ago, thry arrived here in mallorca and the front one is fooked. After taking it to the shop they said it has a fault in the rim when you brake it judders like hell. Emailed the bloke andhe was fair in that he said i did not notice (impossible not to i nearly came off braking ) so he courierd them back to the uk at his expense and i got a refund. Paid 595 for them and hes now got them on ebay for 399 and no mention of the front wheel issue. Fed up with ebay and all the crap on there. At lesst you only lost a fee quid.
  • jgsi
    TheFD wrote:
    JGSI wrote:
    Like Strava, Ebay has tested my patience
    What has Strava done to test your patience?

On Ebay, the feedback system is really useless as you can only give 'positive' or 'a breach of Ebay T&Cs' which is a case of offering a giving a bouquet of flowers or getting a baseball bat out. Nothing in between just to raise awareness.

On Strava... it just failed to record rides on my phone. not once... not twice but 3 times..
    MapMyRide has been 100% and it also talks to ANT+ as well, although full data set is not available unless you go premium but at least I can get ride feedback without wondering if the app has stalled.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,965
    ^^^

Agree with you on the feedback system. Another case is if a buyer messes you about and then pulls out of the sale. Because the sale then never happened, you can't give any feedback and the muppet is free to go and do it to someone else. I've been trying to find this in my account from a few years ago, but I can't get to the details now. I'm pretty certain I lost the listing fee, not a lot but it p1ssed me off at the time.

The older I get, the better I was.

• bigpikle
    bigpikle Posts: 1,690
    In the OP's case it does look VERY suspicious, but there is always the chance.

I ordered some new jockey wheels from a shop on ebay a few weeks ago and got a quick message saying they were dispatched within 24hrs via RM. A week later and nothing arrived. Contacted the seller directly, and they brilliantly sent out another set for me, which arrived very promptly afterwards. I got their return address and promised to send back the duplicate set if/when they arrived. The original set never arrived - still not a sign of them... So they must have disappeared into the black hole that is the RM postal system, probably never to be seen again.

It does happen, but I agree its most likely fraud and like many here I really cant be bothered with the whole ebay thing unless the item warrants personal collection or insured/guaranteed delivery :(
    Your Past is Not Your Potential...
  • jgsi
    Thats the difference... buying from an Ebay shop or as private seller, you really get the impression Ebay cannot be bothered ... it is now getting utterly confusing as to where things are as this resolution process.
    I authorisd refund via Paypal
    Money has been debited from bank account.. so I am minus pedals with the money handed back
    Showing as just PROCESSING on Paypal for Gods sake for the last 4 days..
    Ebay not even showing I have issued refund, althoough I thought as Paypal is embedded in Ebay, this isnt asking too much of their IT system?

my fees not turned up in Paypal either.
  • ck101
    ck101 Posts: 222
    2 years back I bought a new Tag Heuer for nearly a grand off ebay. The guy was based in Belfast and had lots of positive feedback. Realised it was a fake as soon as I saw it and contacted seller who insisted I send it back and if I raised an ebay complaint he would contest.

I raised a complaint straight away and also contacted his local police/RUC station to make a complaint. A rather helpful police officer contacted me to advise that this individual was a hardened criminal with paramilitary links and questioned me as to how far I wanted to take this complaint. As I had received a refund (after a lengthy battle) and the fact this guy could drive to my house in 2 hrs I let it go.

I posted negative feedback and had many contacts from people all over the world that had bought fake merchandise from this person only realising when it was too late to do anything about it.

I mailed eBay many times with records of my compliant to then notifying them that this trader was still selling, they have done nothing and this guy is still trading.

Ebay is a joke and their charges are outrageous.
  • jgsi
    It gets marginally better.
    At least , the pedals arrived ... via an email from Ebay.. it transpires he is moaning about not as advertised..

"STill in excellent working order but ARE in used condition - hence cosmetically NOT 100%"

not hard to understand is it?

I do believe I will get my pedals back at least, as refund made and I am not getting that confused anymore.
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    Ck101 wrote:
    2 years back I bought a new Tag Heuer for nearly a grand off ebay. The guy was based in Belfast and had lots of positive feedback. Realised it was a fake as soon as I saw it and contacted seller who insisted I send it back and if I raised an ebay complaint he would contest.

I raised a complaint straight away and also contacted his local police/RUC station to make a complaint. A rather helpful police officer contacted me to advise that this individual was a hardened criminal with paramilitary links and questioned me as to how far I wanted to take this complaint. As I had received a refund (after a lengthy battle) and the fact this guy could drive to my house in 2 hrs I let it go.

I posted negative feedback and had many contacts from people all over the world that had bought fake merchandise from this person only realising when it was too late to do anything about it.

I mailed eBay many times with records of my compliant to then notifying them that this trader was still selling, they have done nothing and this guy is still trading.

Ebay is a joke and their charges are outrageous.

I suppose Ebay do not care about criminals like him.

It's in Ebay's best interests that there is as many seller as possible. If more people are advertising on Ebay, then Ebay is making more money. If Ebay were to ban him from advertising, they lose income.
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • crumbschief
    crumbschief Posts: 3,399
    I had a few pints and a madras last week and i woke up with the same feeling,not much help here though.