Cycling on TV

seanorawe
seanorawe Posts: 950
edited March 2013 in Road general
What channel would show the most events throughout the year? I know ITV4 showed le tour last year, and that BBC may be showing it this year.

Over the space of a year, not much cycling gets shown!
Cube Attain SL Disc
Giant CRS 2.0

Comments

• prhymeate
    prhymeate Posts: 795
    British Eurosport show their fair share I think. http://www.cyclingtorrents.nl is an excellent place to download cycling shows.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 42,453
    Eurosport - there will be cycling on most weeks from now until October. I think Sky Sports show some UK races. For terrestrial it is really just ITV4 who have belated highlights of some European races plus decent coverage (other than the commentary of Waldorf and Statler) of the major Tours and the Tour of Britain. They also show some UK racing highlights from the Premier Calendar and (I think) Tour Series. BBC really only cover the big track events and the Worlds.
  • EuroSport 1 and 2 have got everything covered just about.

Having real problems with their schedule as I keep trying to record the T-A and Virgin keep showing replays of P-N in that slot.
  • Bustacapp
    Bustacapp Posts: 971
    edited March 2013
    Eurosport is showing loads but they are utterly pathetic with their scheduling.
  • Buckie2k5
    Buckie2k5 Posts: 600
    Prhymeate wrote:
    British Eurosport show their fair share I think. http://www.cyclingtorrents.nl is an excellent place to download cycling shows.

looks ideal, cheers.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Bustacapp wrote:
    Eurosport is showing loads but they are utterly pathetic with their shceduling.

It's annoying when the schedule changes, but the reason it changes is that they show a lot of live sport and they won't leave an event until it finishes. Pretty difficult to predict how long most sports will go on for.

Most of the time all you need to do is record the programme after the one you're interested in to make sure you don't miss the end of the race.
    More problems but still living....
  • mechanism
    mechanism Posts: 891
    I decided to pay for Eurosport Player this year and so far I'm pretty happy with it - the quality is a lot better than pirate streams.
  • jameses
    jameses Posts: 653
    Prhymeate wrote:

Thanks very much for that, just what I've been looking for!
  • @ITVCycling have tweeted "We'll have one-hour highlight shows of Criterium (24 March), Paris-Roubaix (7 April) & Liege Bastogne (21 April) in 2013!"

Looks like ITV4 have stepped up-to the plate then :D
    You're the light wiping out my batteries; You're the cream in my airport coffee's.
  • seanorawe
    seanorawe Posts: 950
    Mechanism wrote:
    I decided to pay for Eurosport Player this year and so far I'm pretty happy with it - the quality is a lot better than pirate streams.

Is that an online player?
    Cube Attain SL Disc
    Giant CRS 2.0
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    seanorawe wrote:
    Mechanism wrote:

I have it on t'iPhone, but you can get it on a PC/Laptop, mobile or tablet by the look of it:

http://www.eurosportplayer.co.uk/offers-product.shtml

Agree about the schedule, quite often all-to-cock, but good to have at my desk side when the races are on.
  • amaferanga wrote:
    Bustacapp wrote:
    Eurosport is showing loads but they are utterly pathetic with their shceduling.

It's annoying when the schedule changes, but the reason it changes is that they show a lot of live sport and they won't leave an event until it finishes. Pretty difficult to predict how long most sports will go on for.

Most of the time all you need to do is record the programme after the one you're interested in to make sure you don't miss the end of the race.
    But you'd think it would be possible for Virgin or Sky to fire out a signal at the beginning and end of a transmission to tell their recorders to start and stop recording at the right moment.

I seem to remember having a VHS recorder with PDC (programme delivery control) which did exactly this in the 1990's
  • iPip
    iPip Posts: 90
    But you'd think it would be possible for Virgin or Sky to fire out a signal at the beginning and end of a transmission to tell their recorders to start and stop recording at the right moment.

I seem to remember having a VHS recorder with PDC (programme delivery control) which did exactly this in the 1990's
    Most of the Sky channels seem to do this, just not ES for some reason.
    Regards
    Pip

Cube Agree GTC Pro
    Boardman Hybrid Comp
    Voodoo Bantu
  • d87francis
    d87francis Posts: 136
    JamesEs wrote:
    Prhymeate wrote:

Thanks very much for that, just what I've been looking for!
    Just make sure you seed! I used it for a while and then nearly got kicked for not seeding :oops: so now I keep my ratio above 1.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    seanorawe wrote:
    Mechanism wrote:

I have it on t'iPhone, but you can get it on a PC/Laptop, mobile or tablet by the look of it:

http://www.eurosportplayer.co.uk/offers-product.shtml

Agree about the schedule, quite often all-to-cock, but good to have at my desk side when the races are on.
    Make sure you get the right version. I thought it was an online service that would work through a browser, but it's OS specific so buy the right one and be aware that it's not portable, i.e. you can't watch it on the PC one day and then on the iPad if that suits you better a bit later on. Customer Services won't budge when you email asking to swap from one to another.

Eurosport HD has been covering a lot of cycling lately.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    @ITVCycling have tweeted "We'll have one-hour highlight shows of Criterium (24 March), Paris-Roubaix (7 April) & Liege Bastogne (21 April) in 2013!"

Thanks for the heads up
  • mechanism
    mechanism Posts: 891
    seanorawe wrote:
    Mechanism wrote:

£2.99 a month for a year's contract and it uses Microsoft Silverlight on Windows or OS X in a browser, so watch on a monitor or computer hooked up to the TV. Some TVs like Panasonic and possibly LG have Eurosport Player available through their online services which I assume uses the same account - I hope to test it out this weekend.
  • topcattim
    topcattim Posts: 766
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    @ITVCycling have tweeted "We'll have one-hour highlight shows of Criterium (24 March), Paris-Roubaix (7 April) & Liege Bastogne (21 April) in 2013!"

Thanks for the heads up
    that's great news, thanks for letting us know.
  • i swear that PN and TA where on sky sports too.