"You should move over, you're a pushbike"

meanredspider
meanredspider Posts: 12,337
edited March 2013 in Commuting chat
This today on a singletrack road from an oik in a bottle green Impreza having continued 10 metres past a perfectly good passing spot and forced me to slam on the brakes as he drove at me. WTF? This is the second time in two weeks I've had this and the third time this year. It's a small minority but they're complete twunts and they always scarper before I can talk to them.
ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH

Comments

• daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Bottle green Impreza = old Impreza.
    Your good bike is probably worth more. Just saying... :wink:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • graham.
    graham. Posts: 862
    Just point out that Subaru backwards is U R A BUS ! :D
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Too common these days, know its pretty frustrating but stopping to talk to them might not help your cause.

I've only even known a few of the older scooby drivers and TBH they are twunts and have an audi A3 or BMW 1 class as their company car so kind of says it all I figure.
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Yeah bloke in a truck pulled out around a parked car right into my path and stuck his finger up at me as he passed, I had to hop onto the footpath to avoid him. Twunts.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,336
    I'd have thought it entirely reasonable to point out that, since your bike doesn't have a reverse gear, he'll have to back up to the last passing place. An approach that is likely to generate a tirade about road tax and such, but still.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Couldn't you have just hopped onto his bonnet and ridden over him? If you were running the ice spikers that would have been a bonus. :wink:
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,313
    There are moments in life when discretion is the better part of valour.

IMHO that was one. Pull over, let the car go past, carry on with your day knowing that you're the superior being.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • BUR70N
    BUR70N Posts: 182
    Thats true, but still bloody annoying!!!
  • cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    In fairness I would have told you to move over for pushing too.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • daveski12
    daveski12 Posts: 158
    This has started to happen more and more on a single track road I commute on.

Normally forgotten about quite quickly after it happens though
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Thanks all. He didn't actually need to reverse , just slow down slightly so we met at the passing spot. Would have cost him a second or, at the most, 2 seconds of his life as I was heading downhill pretty fast.

These roads are pretty narrow - there's hardly room to pass with A LOT of cooperation (cyclist pretty much in the "gutter"/verge/ditch - car going very slowly also in "gutter"/verge/ditch)

Fortunately up here, even twunts in Scoobies are pretty harmless individuals. Mostly just twunts. He was probably more frightened of me.

I actually had a good chat with the local police sergeant. He, too, is a cyclist and empathised deeply with this. He recommended that I call them for the more extreme cases and they would have a chat with the drivers about their "antisocial" (his words) behaviour and set them straight on the rights of cyclists.

If I find that Scooby though, I might replace his scoop with a bog seat :twisted: :wink::wink::wink:
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Widgey
    Widgey Posts: 157
    I get this a lot going up and down the road I live on. There are cars parked either side so its single track. I like to cycle in the middle due to doors etc from both sides, but oncoming cars do not share the same attitude. Very annoying.
  • Drfabulous0
    Drfabulous0 Posts: 1,539
    Couldn't you have just hopped onto his bonnet and ridden over him? If you were running the ice spikers that would have been a bonus. :wink:

Back in the late 80s I saw a guy on a BMX do just that to some daft cow who pulled onto a single lane bridge he was half way across at a reasonable pace. An epic maneuver with flawless execution, it inspired me to try BMX, unfortunately I couldn't ride off a curb without kissing the tarmac.
  • raymondo60
    raymondo60 Posts: 735
    Had a young guy in a Vauxhall Corsa (an old one) do that to me recently; just pulled right across me as he was turning right (I had right of way on the road) and as I stopped level with his window he leaned out and said with some vitriol "I've got right of way mate 'cause I'm in a car" to which my reply was, looking over said vehicle "Call that a car son?!"

Little things please little minds I guess but I enjoyed it........
    Raymondo

"Let's just all be really careful out there folks!"
  • Burndust
    Burndust Posts: 100
    2nd time in 2 weeks, think yourself lucky...this happens to me abbout 5 times a day all in the space of about 100 meteres. this drives me insane...the amount of times i have had to slam the brakes on for this sort of thing, then they look at you as if your in the wrong,
    Boardman CX Team
    Carerra Crossfire 2