A question of etiquette

slowmart
slowmart Posts: 4,516
edited March 2013 in Road beginners
So I have a mtb helmet which I use on the road bike. I've taken the peak off but am I breaking some unwritten rule and thereby looking a complete knob.*

* And before anyone suggests I may look like a knob anyway please amend to "more of a knob" :D
“Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu

Comments

• arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    If it's comfy and you like it that's all that matters, stuff what others think :wink:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    Until last week I used a MTB lid on my roadbike.

Post a pic and we can decide?
  • Gpfanuk
    Gpfanuk Posts: 142
    Did exactly the same with my recenty deceased Bell MTB helmet...nobody appeared to notice and it saved a few pounds.. Don't worry about what other people think as opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one. :wink:
    Muddy Fox Hardtail Circa 1998
    Triban3
    Felt AR5
    ANC Halfords Peugeot (restored and ridden at Eroica 2015)
    A box of bits that will make a fine Harry Hall when I get round to it.
    Raleigh tandem of as yet unknown vintage - ongoing restoration for Eroica 2016
  • jane90
    jane90 Posts: 149
    If I thought wearing a MTB helment on the road would upset the smug, self-appointed guardians of the "Rules", I'd go out and buy one immediately.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,163
    Is there any difference between a MTB helmet without the peak and a road helmet? I used an MTB helmet without the peak for years, it looked like every other Giro helmet I saw. The rules are just a joke (a few funny but most crap), ride what is comfortable, fits and complies with a recognised testing standard.
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    If you like your helmet then use it,personally i couldn,t tell them apart,but wouldnt not use it incase it offended some gok wannabe.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    Gpfanuk wrote:
    Did exactly the same with my recenty deceased Bell MTB helmet...nobody appeared to notice and it saved a few pounds.. Don't worry about what other people think as opinions are like arseholes, everyone has one. :wink:

Except piers morgan who appears to have grown one on his face where his mouth should be and and keeps spouting c@@p out of it :D
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • daveski12
    daveski12 Posts: 158
    I use my MTB helmet with the peak! I already had it and when I needed to replace it last year I bought another one!
  • chrisaonabike
    chrisaonabike Posts: 1,914
    Just don't look in the mirror wearing the helmet.

Whether I look like a knob on my bike is the least of my worries. If they're faster than me, they won't care, and if I'm faster than them, I won't.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    arran77 wrote:
    If it's comfy and you like it that's all that matters, stuff what others think :wink:
    +1
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • hipshot
    hipshot Posts: 371
    Whether I look like a knob on my bike is the least of my worries. If they're faster than me, they won't care, and if I'm faster than them, I won't.

This. Case closed, M'lud.
  • RDB66
    RDB66 Posts: 492
    If you really want to stir things up....wear a Full Face Motorbike helmet !! lol
    A Brother of the Wheel. http://www.boxfordbikeclub.co.uk

09 Canyon Ultimate CF for the Road.
    2011 Carbon Spesh Stumpy FSR.
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,516
    Well that's alright then. :D

Thanks for the replies.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • djm501
    djm501 Posts: 378
    RDB66 wrote:
    If you really want to stir things up....wear a Full Face Motorbike helmet !! lol

Since one of my work colleagues recently lost several teeth when coming off his bike I'm not sure that's not such a bad suggestion. (MTB helmets can cover jaw area too I notice)
  • Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    I'm wearing an "MTB" helmet without the peak just now. I'm buying a new "Road" helmet as the current one is getting a bit tired. There's not a lot of difference between them, supposedly the new one is 30g lighter, but I'll never notice that.

If it's comfy and isn't damaged, keep wearing it.
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • paul1275s
    paul1275s Posts: 27
    Etiquette does have a place in most sports but if it is to the degree that it discourages people from taking part in said sport maybe there is something wrong. Wear what you like, get out on the bike and enjoy.
  • Tom Dean
    Tom Dean Posts: 1,723
    No, OP you have removed the peak and are on the right track. These threads are always met with responses from those who take a perverse pride in their ghastly hairy legs, black socks and WC jerseys. It's not a question of 'etiquette' as such. You will never be as fast as you want to be, but certain standards are easier to maintain.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    +1. Many of us will never ride like a pro but we can all look pro :-)
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,628
    What purpose does a peak serve? And does it do it's job?
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I carried on wearing my MTB lid when I first took to the road. The peak used to keep rain off my specs and was handy for shielding my eyes from oncoming headlights sometimes. However, when after several years the flimsy retention mechanism broke, I replaced it with a road version which was a lot lighter and much better ventilated. I also suspect that helped to eliminate the neck pain I'd been getting with the MTB one.
  • Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    seanoconn wrote:
    Helps keep the sun out of your eyes mostly, and yes it does work. The problem with it on a road bike is that it's too long and you have to try and hold your head up further which gives you neck-ache. I think that's the main reason "road" helmets don't have peaks.

Other than peak attachments, there's nothing to choose really. Taking the Specialized range as an example, their road and MTB helmet designs are almost identical.
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • Tom Dean
    Tom Dean Posts: 1,723
    seanoconn wrote:
    A peak is a superfluous apostrophe for your head :P
  • seanoconn
    Mikey41 wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:
    Helps keep the sun out of your eyes mostly, and yes it does work. The problem with it on a road bike is that it's too long and you have to try and hold your head up further which gives you neck-ache. I think that's the main reason "road" helmets don't have peaks.

Other than peak attachments, there's nothing to choose really. Taking the Specialized range as an example, their road and MTB helmet designs are almost identical.
    Ah, got it now. Thanks.
  • seanoconn
    Tom Dean wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:
    A peak is a superfluous apostrophe for your head :P
    That superfluous apostrophe was added by my phone, not me!

Pedantic bugger :P
  • There will obviously be people that are gullible and like to conform, so they buy 'road' products to fit in, but frankly the aesthetic differences between some (by no means all) MTB helmets with the peak removed and most typical 'road' helmets are pretty small. Purely in that respect the argument is pretty pointless, because in either case it is still a piece of expanded polystyrene. Some look distinctly better than others, I grant you, but a plastic hat it still is.

In terms of any dedicated performance enhancement for 'real world' road cycling, there's little to speak of. A closer fitting helmet will doubtless be more aerodynamic than a big mushroom-headed thing, but if it really mattered then all of the pro teams would be using closed-vent lids, and most of them are not. If you really want a helmet that makes you faster, you want a proper TT hat.

As for the peak, I was sceptical of those long before I had any interest in 'serious road cycling'. I don't want that near my face if I do faceplant the tarmac or instinctively shield my face to avoid doing so. If you only ride your bike in a relaxed, upright position, it probably won't hinder your vision unduly, but you could also opt for a cap; flexible, adjustable, wicking, warm if needed, interchangeable for the season or weather, and aesthetically less incongruous.

But you'll almost certainly buy more than one helmet in your lifetime, so just buy a 'road' one next time. :lol:
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    keef66 wrote:
    However, when after several years the flimsy retention mechanism broke, I replaced it with a road version which was a lot lighter and much better ventilated

The weight will be an issue over specific models - not the fact that one was a road helmet and the other an MTB helmet. My Giro Havoc (an MTB helmet but, with the visor off, a lid that looks like virtually every other Giro helmet ever made) that I got about 4 years ago when I started cycling cost about £50 and is lighter than a Giro Ionos that retailed at three times that...........
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Velke
    Velke Posts: 61
    Your only a Knob if you don't wear a helmet!

Safety over fashion & rules everyday.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite - Ultegra Di2
    Canyon Inflite 9.0 - Ultegra
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Rolf F wrote:
    keef66 wrote:
    However, when after several years the flimsy retention mechanism broke, I replaced it with a road version which was a lot lighter and much better ventilated

The weight will be an issue over specific models - not the fact that one was a road helmet and the other an MTB helmet. My Giro Havoc (an MTB helmet but, with the visor off, a lid that looks like virtually every other Giro helmet ever made) that I got about 4 years ago when I started cycling cost about £50 and is lighter than a Giro Ionos that retailed at three times that...........

I wasn't implying road helmets are generally heavier, but there was a noticeable difference in my case. The old one was a Cratoni which must've been over 12 years old, and the new one a Giro Atmos. I think the Giro just has more holes / less material.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Velke wrote:
    Your only a Knob if you don't wear a helmet!

But then you (royal not actually you) are a Knob in a helmet if you do wear a helmet. :lol:

Knobs are knobs helmet or not :wink:
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I thought MTB helmets covered the lower rear of your head better.
    As such I would not wear a road helmet on my MTB (never mind the risk of fcuking it up!), but if you are happy with the look/feel of an MTB one on the road, go for it :wink:
    Tape over the three little holes left by the peak though, or you will have 'aero' issues :lol: