Whyte Montpellier 2013 v Stirling 2013

manwoodvice
manwoodvice Posts: 9
edited March 2013 in Commuting general
Has anyone got either of these bikes? Is the Montpellier worth the extra £600?

Also, judging by the pictures it doesn't look like there's much clearance for switching to knobbly tyres - any experiences of this?

http://www.whytebikes.com/2013/product.php?xProd=52&xSec=101

Comments

• shamrock134
    shamrock134 Posts: 714
    I owned a 2012 Whyte Stirling for about 8 months until it got nicked in central London.

It was a nice bike, but if I could turn back time I would have spent the money on a proper drop bar road bike (either geared or single speed) rather than a hybrid. If you ride a hybrid you will soon get annoyed by being overtaken by road bikes! :lol:
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Depends on the hybrid and rider to what is faster though.
  • rykusmo
    rykusmo Posts: 2
    go for the montpellier.. the carbon frame is so forgiving for bumpy roads, it absorb the vibration..
    the internal cable routing is slick...
  • Would you say the Montpellier is better specced that the Boardman Hybrid Pro (other than the carbon frame obviously)?
  • rykusmo
    rykusmo Posts: 2
    Would you say the Montpellier is better specced that the Boardman Hybrid Pro (other than the carbon frame obviously)?

I would say spec wise the Montpellier is more than capable for average urban/hybrid bike. the Sram Via GT group set, Hope Hubs, tapered headtube, and internal cable routing is the bling factor from me.
    I would throw some FSA carbon K-Force component for the Montpellier just for personal reason :D . like Low rise handlebar, seatpost, bottle cage.
  • Grabeef
    Grabeef Posts: 6
    Been riding a 2012 Stirling since last October. Ok bike but would suggest you have a good try out first. I certainly wouldn't pay the £600 extra for the Montpellier.
    I was looking for a fast flatbar (I don't get on with thick winter gloves and brifters) winter commuter with road gearing and discs. Unfortunately it is not fast and efficient like a road bike, doesn't accelerate or climb like a road bike. The Avid Elixir discs are lethal in the wet, absolutely no modulation, simply either on or off. Perhaps I also should have looked at something like a cyclocross (and better gloves).