Forum home Road cycling forum Road general

Are charity related events frowned upon in this forum ?

2»

Posts

  • bazzer2 wrote:
    VTech, what makes you any different to anyone else? Respect the rules and stop whining!

    Remember how much you're actually paying for the use of the forum, too.


    It costs nothing to run this forum, in fact, it generates profit!

    In-fact, without "members" it wouldn't exists, no forum can exists without members giving their time & knowledge for free! You are actually doing THEM the favor! :wink:
    B'TWIN Triban 5A
    Ridgeback MX6
  • iPipiPip Posts: 90
    A perfect example of the problems we now have in gB (sic). For every person trying to do just a little something for others, there's another 10 waiting to wave petty rules and regs in their face. Yes, those 10 maybe 'right', but the pettiness will slowly wear the good guys down and they'll all just give up bothering.

    Well done BR, pat yourselves on the back.
    Regards
    Pip

    Cube Agree GTC Pro
    Boardman Hybrid Comp
    Voodoo Bantu
  • MattyyPMattyyP Posts: 142
    Wow... What the internet does to some people. :roll:
    Specialized Secteur Sport 2011
    B'Twin Rockrider 8 XC
    B'Twin Rockrider 9.1
  • Mikey23Mikey23 Posts: 5,028
    Reminds me of the monty python argument sketch...
  • marylogicmarylogic Posts: 355
    Maybe there could be a new "argument" subforum?
  • danlikesbikesdanlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    marylogic wrote:
    Maybe there could be a new "argument" subforum?

    Dont want one :)
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • heez29heez29 Posts: 612
    heez29 wrote:
    Lol.

    Posts something for sale in "buying advice" then moans why it was deleted.

    Read the rules, then you will understand why your post/topic got deleted.



    Off topic, are you French?

    Why would he be French? Did he retire at 52?

    French have no rules IIRC.
  • VTech wrote:
    A guy on here, a valid forum member is doing an event for charity, I didn't think there was a big take up on it so decided to help a little and then managed to get a decent gift to see if anyone here wanted it with the money going to his charity ride. I don't even know the bloke, I just like the idea of helping others.

    I can't believe anyone would argue with that, even against me. It is dispicable to argue against anyone doing something for the good of others but I must admit I thought that it would be the case here.
    I'm sad for so many of you guys.

    Try cyclechat.net
    There seems to be less undesirable individuals on there than there is on this forum. I agree with what your saying tho. Just read this morning that a guy on holiday saved a bunch of kids from a shark and ended up getting fired for it. Apparently he was taking time off work for stress but was on holiday. Loads of [email protected] out there mate. Best of luck old boy.
  • Rolf F wrote:
    VTech wrote:
    I cant seem to make this point more clearer so ill try again.

    I made a comment based on a fact, the fact is that you are not allowed to promote charitable activities on this forum. I have accepted that and although I dont agree that it is a good move on behalf of the forum or the members I have took that in.

    You make your point very clearly - the problem is that you don't understand what others are saying very clearly. You are allowed to promote charitable activities on this forum (I did myself a few years back when I rode 10,000 miles in one year for Water Aid). What you are not allowed to do is post things for sale outside of the for sale section.

    So, why do you find it so hard to understand that
    a) You can promote charitable activities on this forum
    b) but they have to be in appropriate sub forums. This means that if it is an item for sale, it goes in the For sale section. If it is a wacky activitiy like going for a bicycle ride without a turbo attached to the back wheel, then you can put it somewhere else appropriate like the Road General and/or Cake Stop sections. This is why there are sub forums - so that people can post appropriate topics in appropriate forums. Why is it only you that struggles so much with this concept? Do you have these sort of communication problems in the real world at all?

    He was under the impression that charity events were frowned upon coz his post was deleted. Had his post instead been moved to the appropriate forum (along with a private message informing him this) then his reaction most likely would have been far more positive. *****ing hell.
  • bianchimoonbianchimoon Posts: 3,939
    VTech wrote:
    A guy on here, a valid forum member is doing an event for charity, I didn't think there was a big take up on it so decided to help a little and then managed to get a decent gift to see if anyone here wanted it with the money going to his charity ride. I don't even know the bloke, I just like the idea of helping others.

    I can't believe anyone would argue with that, even against me. It is dispicable to argue against anyone doing something for the good of others but I must admit I thought that it would be the case here.
    I'm sad for so many of you guys.

    Try cyclechat.net
    There seems to be less undesirable individuals on there than there is on this forum. I agree with what your saying tho. Just read this morning that a guy on holiday saved a bunch of kids from a shark and ended up getting fired for it. Apparently he was taking time off work for stress but was on holiday. Loads of [email protected] out there mate. Best of luck old boy.

    Yeah, just part of the story tho, both him and his wife worked for the same charity, both off on stress related sick leave for months, both on 'holiday' on the other side of the world FFS, they'd have been sacked if they worked for me as well! The trustees of the charity know more about it than someone reading half a story in a rag
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • rolf_frolf_f Posts: 15,959
    He was under the impression that charity events were frowned upon coz his post was deleted. Had his post instead been moved to the appropriate forum (along with a private message informing him this) then his reaction most likely would have been far more positive.

    You are missing the point - which was that the circumstances had been explained several times quite clearly in this thread but he was still somehow managing to assume that charity events were frowned upon. Which was not the case. You have a point though about the moderation; BR is the most clumsily moderated forum I've known. Random thread deletions (which is almost never justifiable), thread locks and even banning seem to happen without clear explanation. It's a bit disappointing. If the mods find it too much work, they should appoint more mods. It's not difficult.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • VTechVTech Posts: 4,736
    To be fair, I only posted this thread as at the time I seriously thought that it was frowned upon.
    I had no idea that what had really happened was some people had sent messages to the mods to have my post deleted, I still think that those actions were despicable and outrageous.
    I did however immediately accept that the forum does not allow sponsorship posts other than in general and sales which is something I then complied with. I accepted the rules immediately upon understanding them, I didnt agree with them and still dont but it isnt my forum and accepted the rule.
    Living MY dream.
  • letap73letap73 Posts: 1,608
    VTech wrote:
    To be fair, I only posted this thread as at the time I seriously thought that it was frowned upon.
    I had no idea that what had really happened was some people had sent messages to the mods to have my post deleted, I still think that those actions were despicable and outrageous.
    I did however immediately accept that the forum does not allow sponsorship posts other than in general and sales which is something I then complied with. I accepted the rules immediately upon understanding them, I didnt agree with them and still dont but it isnt my forum and accepted the rule.

    Personally I think you are better off posting on Cyclenet.
  • Rolf F wrote:
    He was under the impression that charity events were frowned upon coz his post was deleted. Had his post instead been moved to the appropriate forum (along with a private message informing him this) then his reaction most likely would have been far more positive.

    You are missing the point - which was that the circumstances had been explained several times quite clearly in this thread but he was still somehow managing to assume that charity events were frowned upon. Which was not the case. You have a point though about the moderation; BR is the most clumsily moderated forum I've known. Random thread deletions (which is almost never justifiable), thread locks and even banning seem to happen without clear explanation. It's a bit disappointing. If the mods find it too much work, they should appoint more mods. It's not difficult.

    or they could book a day off now and then. 28 days holiday per year* is the legal minimum any employer can legaly give. I ALWAYS take mine and try to chill out with a beer or 2 on my time off or enjoy it some other way. This helps me stay more focused and be more productive when working.


    1 year on the planet known as "Earth". Other planets take varying amounts of time to orbit the sun but the same amount of actual time still applies to astronauts etc. Also different countries have different laws. In the UK your allowed 28 days but this may be more in somewhere crappy like France.
  • markos1963markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    VTech wrote:
    To be fair, I only posted this thread as at the time I seriously thought that it was frowned upon.
    I had no idea that what had really happened was some people had sent messages to the mods to have my post deleted, I still think that those actions were despicable and outrageous.
    I did however immediately accept that the forum does not allow sponsorship posts other than in general and sales which is something I then complied with. I accepted the rules immediately upon understanding them, I didnt agree with them and still dont but it isnt my forum and accepted the rule.

    First of all I'm lazy and couldn't care less but why is it "despicable and outrageous' for someone to report a breach of the rules? Would it be the same for breaches of the rules in other areas of life? Those who reported you( has this been confirmed because the Mod didn't refer to this) might just be concerned that rules were being flouted and the Mods might not have spotted it? If they had contacted you directly what would you have done? Asked for the thread to be deleted yourself or tell them they were being petty?
  • springtide9springtide9 Posts: 1,731
    Read the rules and try and post within these rules.

    If your post gets pulled, you probably broke these rules... so try and figure out for yourself why.

    This is a big forum and hence the mods haven't time to follow up on every pulled post.. it's up to the individual to work out why. If you believe you didn't break the rules, follow up with the mods for a reason.

    These are the rules and the processes. If you don't like it, you have the right not to be part of the forum. The mods however have rules/policies that they enforce... so leave them get on with their jobs!
    Simon
  • d87francisd87francis Posts: 136
    Perhaps charity events are frowned upon because charity perpetuates the conditions required for charity, thus perpetuating charitable institution's own existence and our elitist oppressors?

    Think of altruism as means for the wealthy to prevent the poor from getting so upset they would like to change the system, meaning most people overlook the real causes of inequality: capitalism. At the same time it allows people to feel smug about donating some of their vast time/money that they have, whilst perpetuating a system that deprives so many others of time/money. If we shared resources equally to each persons needs and didn't allow private accumulation of wealth, resources and power there would be no need for charity

    (I of course understand that there is a balance to be had between pragmatism and fixing the system, and overnight withdrawl of charity would create more problems than it fixes. Also that there are many many fantastic charitable organisations and people who work tirelessly to help others! Slavoj Zizeck has a great 10 min talk on this balance between pragmatism and charities perpetuation of inequality http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpAMbpQ8J7g)
  • bianchimoonbianchimoon Posts: 3,939
    d87francis wrote:
    Perhaps charity events are frowned upon because charity perpetuates the conditions required for charity, thus perpetuating charitable institution's own existence and our elitist oppressors?

    Think of altruism as means for the wealthy to prevent the poor from getting so upset they would like to change the system, meaning most people overlook the real causes of inequality: capitalism. At the same time it allows people to feel smug about donating some of their vast time/money that they have, whilst perpetuating a system that deprives so many others of time/money. If we shared resources equally to each persons needs and didn't allow private accumulation of wealth, resources and power there would be no need for charity

    (I of course understand that there is a balance to be had between pragmatism and fixing the system, and overnight withdrawl of charity would create more problems than it fixes. Also that there are many many fantastic charitable organisations and people who work tirelessly to help others! Slavoj Zizeck has a great 10 min talk on this balance between pragmatism and charities perpetuation of inequality http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpAMbpQ8J7g)

    thought provoking post
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • no its not its radical BS.

    if you dont like it feel free to move to a more egalitarian, fair state, im sure you will love it. im also sure you dont partake of any of the things caplitalism has generated for you.

    i contribute to many charities that assist with sight and blindness issues amongst others. your statement is ridiculous and unfair on such instituions, lumping all chariites as vehicles of the wealthy to suppress the poor. what about medical research charities, blind charities etc. just becuase some 'intellectual' has theroised on it and it fits in with your radical 'look at me' views, doesnt mean its right.
  • bianchimoonbianchimoon Posts: 3,939
    woah chill man, i only said thought provoking post. The solution to the world's problems isn't necessarily charity, and there are some valid points to me made in d87francis' post, whether you agree or not is another matter.
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • bianchimoon, my invective is aimed at the the person who posted that BS. sorry if that wasnt clear.
  • bianchimoonbianchimoon Posts: 3,939
    bianchimoon, my invective is aimed at the the person who posted that BS. sorry if that wasnt clear.

    hey no problem :)
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • litwardlelitwardle Posts: 259
    O..k.. Hi everybody!

    It's is for my charity ride that V-tech was kindly donating the jacket for us to raffle off and help is raise extra cash. Please let me assure you that the post was made with only the best of intentions.Whilst the majority of replies are genuine there are a few undeserved malicious ones that have no place on our forum. I wonder if the MODS could maybe close this thread as it'a all got a little bit silly!? (the shark thing in Australia although OT is crazy by the way!!)

    Massive thanks to Vtech for helping us out and receiving some stick at the same time, and of course a big cheers to Bike Radar letting us talk about such charitable posts :)

    Lee
    P.s. Any help will be gratefully received! Check out the blog for more info! http://blog.chubbscyclechallenge.co.uk
  • d87francisd87francis Posts: 136
    bianchimoon, my invective is aimed at the the person who posted that BS. sorry if that wasnt clear.
    I'm sorry if my thoughts have offended you. I did try to make it clear at the bottom of my post that of course there are "many fantastic charitable organisations and people that work tirelessly to help others". I'm criticising the system which relies and is supported by charity but please don't confuse this with me criticising people who work hard for charities.

    If you look at it in plain terms most charities are trying to be pragmatic and fix a problem or provide a solution, it is less of their remit to question where they get their funding so long as they get some funding. There are a multitude of studies which show the wealthy give less to charity as a percentage of their income than the middle and lower classes. Meaning charity is again a capitalist tool for unfairly making the poorer pay for societies problems.

    The example you give of medical research charities is extremely fitting because unlike other charities who focus on issues surrounding poverty, the wealthy benefit directly from medical research charities but pay less towards them.
This discussion has been closed.