Is spending £1000 on a FS it worth it

gallowayphantom
gallowayphantom Posts: 36
edited March 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi all
Is it worth spending a £1000 on a FS or spending it on a HT. I'm 5'10" 90kg and looking for an all rounder. Planning on doing the Highland C2C as well as English C2C (lakes to north sea) the terrain is pretty techie. Generally ride on wild country trails in Scotland and the odd trail centre. Also may be getting some guiding work later in the year (riding the rough wild stuff) , so looking for something good enough for this?

Comments

• pnev
    pnev Posts: 236
    Take a look at the boardman team FS
  • good question. I had a hardtail up until late last year. Mainly my riding consisted of fire trails and bush tracks in Australia with the occasional MTB trail centre and race as well. I used a 29er but have had hardtail 26ers in the past.
    I never felt the need for a FS bike until (at 45) my lower back started to feel it after a few hours in the saddle.
    I got one in a sale last year (a FS 29er) which was only 500g heavier than my hardtail. The difference in riding is pretty impressive, much more speed on descents and corners and generally an all round more balanced riding experience. I can't see many negatives except for initial cost plus greater maintenance and cleaning.
    Strangely, lower back comfort isn't as great as expected, due I reckon to the FS not really being active on small chattery bumps. In retrospect a thudbuster may have been better for that, but after geting one I wouldn't trade in FS for a hardtail now.
    Back to your question about looking for an all-rounder: I don't know what scottish riding is like but in australia a short travel FS 29er makes a pretty good all rounder. With the caveat that if you are into big drop-offs, jumps and DH type riding I guess a long travel bike might be more suited.
  • hainman
    hainman Posts: 699
    I took the plunge and actually only spent 700 on my 1st FS it was a rockrider 9.1 and it scored pretty high on a mbuk test a few months back,it has done me proud having taken me down and up Glentress and Inners a few times plus all the other riding i have done,It will be retiring soon though for something a bit newre and better spec'd.but the rockriders are another shout for good spec's full suss bikes at a minimal price.
    http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockrider-92 ... 08373.html
    this is the model up from mine...
    Giant Reign 2
    Crohnie
  • 97th choice
    97th choice Posts: 2,222
    Unashamed plug from a giant fan but look at the 2011/12 trance x4 or the 2013 trance x3 (virtually same bike but they dropped the x4 for 2013) it's a well regarded bike with massive upgrade potential
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500