7 speed hub

godzeus
godzeus Posts: 25
edited March 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Do shimano or sram make any 7 speed hubs that don't suck. The rear hub on my 3700 trek broke so they changed it with some joytech thingy. It's loud as hell and makes a cracking sound when under pressure. I thin this thing isn't gonna last half a year. I ride more then most ppl and i am expending my routes more and more every few months. I need a hub that's not gonna brake on me.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    What type of hub? Cassette hub or screw on?
  • godzeus
    Cassette
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Just get a 8/9/10 speed hub and use a spacer with your 7 speed cassette, or convert to more gears if you want!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • godzeus
    Easy to say convert to more gears. I just bought a new cassette and chain that i need to install. I would need a new shifter, cassette, chain, rear derailleur. Also the shifter is integrated to the brake so that's another problem.
    Ill look into these spaces. Thanks.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If you have new bits, then no, not worth upgrading, you can do it in stages as 99% of rear mechs do both, chain is the same, so it's just cassette and shifter and as the gear spacing is the same you can do it one at a time and still use 7 gears until you've changed all the parts.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    I sell NOS XT M732 rear hubs (7 speed) These do not suck. Search out for good old LX or XT hubs for 7 speed. There are 7 speed hubs in 135mm spacing too. I think I have some Deore DX ones somewhere.

A 8/9/10 speed hubs is easier though and you can do that. Use a 4.5mm spacer behind the cassette to continue running 7 speed. An LX or XT 8 speed mech can be had cheap used and 8 speed is the cheapest drive train to run and there are plenty of NOS and good sed parts about to build something on a budget.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    What is the OLD of these older hubs though?
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    126, 130 and 135mm 7 speed MTB hubs are all available an I think I have all three in the shop. The Deore DX hubs are definatley 135mm whereas the M730 hubs are 126mm and 130mm but I am nearly out of these now.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.