upgrading to 10 speed rear derailleur

leehigginbottom
leehigginbottom Posts: 5
edited March 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi All,

My current 9 speed derailleur finally gave up at the weekend, So I am looking at getting a replacement. I keep hearing good things about 10 speed derailleurs and are considering upgrading to a Shimano SLX M675 Shadow+ 10 Speed Rear Mech. I understand that I will have to upgrade the following but I am after some advice on what to get for this derailleur.

I know I need to upgrade the following
- Rear derailleur - Shimano SLX M675 Shadow+ 10 Speed Rear Mech - medium or long cage?
- Rear cassette - but which one? I am looking at Shimano SLX HG62 10 Speed MTB Cassette but do I get the 11-34 or 11-36 option.
- Rear shifter - Will any do as long as it is a 10 speed? does it need to be an SLX to match.
- Chain - What 10 speed chain would you recommend.

Any thoughts and suggestions would be great.

Thanks

Lee

Comments

• Also on the chain how many links would I need?

Thanks

Lee
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Mech - whichever has the capacity for the range you are running - will be on the sellers site or techdocs. Range = (big ring - small ring) + (big cog - small cog)
    Shifter - any Shimano.
    Cassette - depends on the gearing you want.
    Chain - KMC. Length you need to measure on the bike.
    See 'Read this first' below.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    For 2013 Shimano are doing a Deore+ mech so you don't need to shell out for an SLX unless you want to.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    related to the topic, can you run a 10 speed rear cassette, derailleur and use a 9 speed triple chainset up front ?
  • The Rookie
    Yes, as well as a 9 speed mech and shifter.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • swod1

Great, i thought you could but wasn't sure, I have a triple 22/32/44 9 speed chainset.

I'll see what lbs can do for me on cassette, shifter and derailleur in 10speed.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Hang on, that's misleading - you can't run a 10 speed cassette with a 9 speed mech and shifter (which is how I read that), you can run a 9 speed mech and shifter with a 9 speed chainset though (obviously), and run 10 speed bits with a 9 speed chainset.
  • swod1

i take it you mean the front mech and shifter can be 9 speed but need to have 10speed chain, cassette and rear derailleur and shifter.
    njee20 wrote:
    and run 10 speed bits with a 9 speed chainset.

this is what i was intending to do 10 speed rear derailleur, cassette and chain but keep the 9 speed 3 ring chainset at the front, that will be upgraded to 10speed at a later date.
  • The Rookie
    swod1 wrote:

i take it you mean the front mech and shifter can be 9 speed but need to have 10speed chain, cassette and rear
    Correct.........