On-One Smorgasbord

kenan
kenan Posts: 952
edited April 2013 in MTB buying advice
On my AM bike I'v got minions front and rear and want to change the rear for something that rolls better but will still bite in the winter. Was thinking of trying the Smorgasbord as they are £12.99 atm but wanted some feedback on what they compare to?

Comments

• kenan wrote:
    On my AM bike I'v got minions front and rear and want to change the rear for something that rolls better but will still bite in the winter. Was thinking of trying the Smorgasbord as they are £12.99 atm but wanted some feedback on what they compare to?

I believe they are Maxxis Ignitors but branded On-One - but don't quote me.
    Family, Friends, Fantastic trails - what else is there

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12898838
    viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12897374
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Tread pattern is not even close.
    But at the price worth a go. On One generally don't sell total sh1t.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    kenan wrote:

I believe they are Maxxis Ignitors but branded On-One - but don't quote me.

I read very similar - standard folding maxxis carcass + exo sidewalls, not specifically tubeless (although reviews seem to suggest they work ok tubeless), with on-one's own tread pattern, which is fairly open so good for wet conditions (ie normal UK).

they sound a pretty good deal for £13.
  • dmorton
    dmorton Posts: 244
    I was looking at getting a pair of these yesterday for 26" bike. Currently has Kenda Nevegals, grippy but not that fast.

I have one on the rear of my 29er. No issues with it, does the job... but anyone running these front and back on 26"?
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Running them on the 29er (the Trail Extreme version). Very impressed. Pain in the arse to get set up tubeless straight from the box but rode them with tubes for a few miles to get the sidewalls nicely bedded in, then whipped the tubes out, the beads sat better (rather than folding in to the middle and being a struggle to blow on) and up they went.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Running them on the 29er (the Trail Extreme version). Very impressed. Pain in the ars* to get set up tubeless straight from the box but rode them with tubes for a few miles to get the sidewalls nicely bedded in, then whipped the tubes out, the beads sat better (rather than folding in to the middle and being a struggle to blow on) and up they went.

Hi there!

I am having the same trouble you describe when trying to set these up tubeless - the bead keeps folding into the middle preventing any kind of inflation. I did get them inflated last week but then the whole tyre fell off the rim at Glentress :( so I suspect the seal was not very good.

How long did you ride with a tube in before trying again? I gave up and have put a tube in just now but I dont want to admit defeat for too long :) I am determined to defeat my tubeless demons!

OP: With a tyre in, these tyres do seem fantastic value! I have a chunky monkey up front which was tremendously grippy. Rolled better than I thought too. Once I get my tubeless issues sorted I think it will pair well with the Smorgasbord on the rear.
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Probably 100 miles or so. Certainly haven't had a problem with them rolling off the bead since but don't run ridiculously low pressures (I'm 98kg so it's 30psi min really).
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris