How can I improve my mountain bike skills?

Triban Man
Triban Man Posts: 35
edited March 2013 in MTB beginners
Love my mountain biking. But, technically, I am severely lacking. Anything remotely complicated, any severe drop or large rock in the track, generally forces me to come off my bike. Am comfortable on red routes. Black, though, is just beyond me. Have tried looking at some instructional videos on You Tube and have found them helpful. Any further suggestions for improving my skills? Have looked into personal coaching, but have found that way, way too expensive.

Comments

• thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,149
    Practice

Ride with others - so you know the drop is doable, get some pointers off them and there's someone to go and get help if you stuff up

Some people find shoulder/knee/shin pads give them a bit more confidence

Learn how to jump off your bike, run past the obstacle and jump back on cleanly so you can ride most of the black route

Keep practicing.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Have a look in rides for people in your area. Take advice. Don't be forced to do anything you think will kill you.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Skills course?
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    How long have you been riding? I've never took a formal skills course or "practiced" a particular skill but 4 years of regular riding and knowing when to try something new has made me a good rider.
  • You'd think that. I've been riding regularly for about 10 years and took a lot away from a skills day, even though I never thought I would.
    The coach picked up on a few of my lazy bad habits, now I've been made aware of them I feel quicker and more efficient..
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    45 years or so of practice and I'm still rubbish.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • I agree with Northern Monkey (Ben), you can ride for years, increasing your competency and confidence and speed but you will also (unconsciously) be increasing your bad habits. Investing £50 in a skills course, or a bit more cash if you want 1-2-1 coaching, will be good value. I did a skills course recently (Ben was part of that same group) and it really has helped. If anything, you will better understand what you need to work on and how to work on it/practice it.

Otherwise, as everyone else said; push yourself to try new things, go harder and faster, ride with a group or meet new riders, try night riding, and most importantly - don't worry, just enjoy riding.

Paul
    Family, Friends, Fantastic trails - what else is there

viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12898838
    viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12897374
  • Thanks people. Some excellent advice there. Skills course seems the way to go. :D
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Yep, agreed. Be wary of just following mates who are quicker, or taking their advice. Every chance they're making all the same mistakes as you they're just braver, or their bike is letting them get away with it!
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    cyd190468 wrote:
    Make friends with someone who used to race the national DH circuit. That made me a better if not more confident rider.

I did that. Tried keeping up with him once. Ended up with a dislocated shoulder, broken collar bone, separated shoulder, fractured shoulder blade and two cracked ribs. Wrecked my new helmet as well. On the bright side the morphine and laughing gas were great.
  • cyd190468 wrote:
    Make friends with someone who used to race the national DH circuit. That made me a better if not more confident rider.

I did that. Tried keeping up with him once. Ended up with a dislocated shoulder, broken collar bone, separated shoulder, fractured shoulder blade and two cracked ribs. Wrecked my new helmet as well. On the bright side the morphine and laughing gas were great.

Ever thought about knitting?
    Is your bike upto the task aswell? I attempted to do what I do now on my old (very old) Saracen & instead of pulling it off smoothly I took a huge dive.